Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #2461
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I do have that version installed. . . .

What I mean by 'not working', is for this particular book, the cover will not auto-generate after opening the book. I continue to see the default 'not generated yet' cover after shutting off the device.

Other books I have tried work fine - in that the cover is extracted and is shown when the kindle is turned off.
I also have the most recent snapshot screensaver hack installed and it's not able to process covers in most, but not all, KFX books. The only difference I see between the KFX books that do show covers and those that do not is that the latter are more recent downloads so the former may be in an earlier version of the KFX format.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #2462
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
I also have the most recent snapshot screensaver hack installed and it's not able to process covers in most, but not all, KFX books. The only difference I see between the KFX books that do show covers and those that do not is that the latter are more recent downloads so the former may be in an earlier version of the KFX format.
The snapshot version has a fix for the KFX format covers.

But that does not preclude the possibility that Amazon has made another change since the last one was dealt with.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #2463
doctorat
doctorat began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 , Pocketbook InkPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exile2 View Post
I hope I got the latest version - it´s kindle-linkss-0.24.N. Date of zipped files is 2015/08/23.

Edit: Thanks a lot for your hint: I took my version from NiJuLes opening post, which is not up to date obviously. Cause I found a later one in Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks.
With kindle-linkss-0.24.N-r13420 everything works like a charm.
I'm in the same situation. First I've gone with the oldest 0.24N version, than I've found this post and installed the latest 0.24Nr-13420 version but my kindle still don't show the cover of the book I'm reading. Instead I still see "The ScreenSavers Hack is currently in 'cover' mode .....". Any ideas what I could have been doing wrong?
My device is PW3, jailbreaked following the procedure explained by knc1, and on firmware 5.8.7 from the aformentioned thread.
doctorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #2464
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorat View Post
I'm in the same situation. First I've gone with the oldest 0.24N version, than I've found this post and installed the latest 0.24Nr-13420 version but my kindle still don't show the cover of the book I'm reading. Instead I still see "The ScreenSavers Hack is currently in 'cover' mode .....". Any ideas what I could have been doing wrong?
My device is PW3, jailbreaked following the procedure explained by knc1, and on firmware 5.8.7 from the aformentioned thread.
Do you have the latest python installed? It is required for cover mode to work. If so, are the books you are having trouble with older or recent? It is possible that Amazon has again modified the book format in a way that cover mode cannot currently work with.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #2465
doctorat
doctorat began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 , Pocketbook InkPad 2
Yes, I have the latest python. So far I have only one book in my kindle and it is relevantly recent, purchased maybe a month or two ago.
doctorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #2466
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorat View Post
Yes, I have the latest python. So far I have only one book in my kindle and it is relevantly recent, purchased maybe a month or two ago.
Do you get the same results if you ask to download the book for transfer to your kindle via USB? It used to be that only KF8 format would be downloaded to a PC for USB transfer, so unless Amazon has changed this you might get around the problem this way.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:58 AM   #2467
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ever since I last reported my covers seem to work fine... yay

I had one question: is there a way for the hack (or is there another option?) to work with KOReader? I really miss the cover feature when using that...

Thanks again!
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #2468
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Ever since I last reported my covers seem to work fine... yay

I had one question: is there a way for the hack (or is there another option?) to work with KOReader? I really miss the cover feature when using that...

Thanks again!
This screen saver add-in ?
It does not involve the reader that is being used.

I am not a KOreader user, what is your's doing when the device goes to sleep?
Just display the page being read?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #2469
Gryzor
Enthusiast

To tell you the truth it's been a while since I've used it and I wanted to get back to it again; but the previous times I did use it it didn't modify the screensaver - the hack just showed the cover of the last book I had read with the default Kindle reader.

I will try leaving KO on for some time when I get back home this evening and report back!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #2470
Gryzor
Enthusiast

Ok, just tried it. Left a mobi file open for several minutes, then left it alone. Came back, shows the cover of the book I was reading with the official reader... So indeed it seems it doesn't work.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #2471
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Ok, just tried it. Left a mobi file open for several minutes, then left it alone. Came back, shows the cover of the book I was reading with the official reader... So indeed it seems it doesn't work.
I do not know if the screensaver add-in can process a mobi format book.
NiLuJe is the one who maintains it, and he is away at school.

But if it can, then it can not detect when KOreader opens a book.
(That may be easy to fix, it will be in the KOreader code.)

Do you know if the screensaver add-in was ever able to process (extract) the cover of a mobi format book?
Maybe take it out of the 'last cover' mode and set it to cycle through all book covers.
If the cover of the mobi format book shows up, then we will know it can process mobi format.

Last edited by knc1; 04-25-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #2472
Gryzor
Enthusiast

Hm, I think it did; I think sending files to myself through email converts them to azw or whatever, but Calibre converts them to mobi, so I'm pretty certain it plays nice with such files' covers.

I will try copying an epub and reading that, though since epub is not natively supported I never use such files, so it's of no interest as a solution.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #2473
knc1
Going Viral

I only want some way to test if your current install of the screen saver add-in can process .mobi - because that is what you reported did work in "cover mode".

I am not (yet) looking for a solution, just trying to better define the problem.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #2474
crazyV
crazyV began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Back here, some month later ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Check if you are using the ss add-in from NiLuJe's snapshot thread.
Make sure you have Python installed, also from the snapshot thread.

I do not use this, so will have to make time to look.
Come back here next month.
Any clue yet?
If i can help anyhow, just let me know
crazyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #2475
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyV View Post
Any clue yet?
If i can help anyhow, just let me know
The maintainer, NiLuJe, had told me he was expecting to get some free time in the past month.

It didn't happen.

And I don't know anything about its internals, so I can not be much help.

Maybe someone that uses it will help out.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch