Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #2446
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Yeah, you're right, similar to "is it turned on?"

Ok, my zips are: kindle-linkss-0.24.N.zip and kindle-python-0.14.N-pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.zip. Redownloading as I'm typing this. KUAL 20160721.

Current book is a kfx file - from Amazon, so it does have a cover for certain

5.8.8, when it came out (a couple of months back? I forget), definitely reinstalled hacks a couple of times after that...
Sounds like you have taken care of all the obvious possible causes.

Let's see if anything changes after you install the most recent of recent packages.
IIRC, there was a recent change for handling kfx format book (Amazon changed the format).

So one more thing to try is one or two kf8 format books, those have been working forever.

I will be away the rest of the day, but there are plenty of ss users here to help you with the problems.

Last edited by knc1; 04-03-2017 at 11:52 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #2447
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
No worries, it's not like it's something of vital importance!

Working perfectly for now, let's see how long it holds. Previous book, by the way, was an epub I emailed myself (it did have a cover, converted to mobi possibly but not sure - certainly not a kfx one though, possibly not even kf8).

Thanks for your help, I will post an update either way in a few days!
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #2448
lllusion
Enthusiast
lllusion began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
In that case, you are using the "Document" version of KUAL, not the "Booklet" version.

Change the display filter to include all active documents.

Terms depend on firmware version, but most recently in the upper left of the home screen. What is the firmware version?

Do not start over, you can only make things worse.
Keep your finger away from the "Reset" button!
Hey knc1, I just got back from an outdoor trip so it's been a few days. However, I want to thank you! because you gave me the tip that helped me fix the problem. It's embarrassing but, the problem was I didn't change the display filter like you said. The launcher was there all along - I just assumed I was looking at all my stuff as I usually had before that update. I did a flag for uninstall, and a clean uninstall/reinstall, and I'm back in the game. Once again thanks so much for aiding those who need help. I appreciate it a lot.
lllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #2449
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hi,

Haven't used my pw3 in awhile. A firmware update to 5.8.7.0.1 happened since I last used the kindle and, of course, I lost my cover view.

I want to see the cover for the book I am currently reading.

I have added 'Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t3.bin' to the mrpackages folder on my kindle and have run 'Install MR packages' in Kual.

The process definitely runs - takes about a 40 seconds to a minute and finishes with a 'restarting UI' (or something similar).

Afterwards though, I do not see the 'special' screen saver and it does not process the screen saver for the book I am reading (have book open for well over a minute).

I do have an empty 'cover' file in linkss

I have confirmed that the time is correct and 'recent' books are sorting properly.

Any thoughts?

Am I missing a step here? I have completed this process in the past successfully - I think this was all I did, but it has been awhile.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 PM   #2450
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Missed step.
So obvious, you can't think of it.
Re-install the screensaver hack itself.

Get your packages from the most recent builds available:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
Advert
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #2451
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Geez. Thank-you.

I shouldn't admit it, but I read over the instructions on page 1 of this thread about 5 times last night before posting.

My mind was somehow seeing 'Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t3.bin' and 'Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t 3.bin' as the same file....

On a bit of a side note, in the future, do I need to only run 'Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t 3.bin' to recover the screen saver functionality? I believe the python install sticks between firmware updates?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #2452
knc1
Going Viral

I am unsure of that, so keep a copy of both.

MrPI can install both at the same time, just put both in /mrpackages and trigger MrPI.

The Amazon updater can only handle one package at a time, so when they forced us to stop using UYK, NiLuJe improved upon their implementation.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #2453
foghat
Evangelist

Will do. Thanks a lot for the help.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #2454
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
I am unsure of that, so keep a copy of both.

MrPI can install both at the same time, just put both in /mrpackages and trigger MrPI.

The Amazon updater can only handle one package at a time, so when they forced us to stop using UYK, NiLuJe improved upon their implementation.
Fyi,

I just did a manual update to 5.8.8 and was able to get ScreenSaver back by just running 'Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t 3.bin' through Kual
Old 04-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #2455
knc1
Going Viral

If you use 'cover mode' then you will need to re-install python also.

And LibrarianSync requires python also.
Maybe some other things.

It will be 'safe' to wait until you find something that seems broke.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #2456
foghat
Evangelist

Ya, I should have clarified: am just using it to view the cover of the book currently being read. That is working fine with just 'reinstalling' the udpate_linkss_xxxxx.bin file.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #2457
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Ya, I should have clarified: am just using it to view the cover of the book currently being read. That is working fine with just 'reinstalling' the udpate_linkss_xxxxx.bin file.
I don't use it myself, so I could easily be wrong (or you are just seeing the covers of the books present before the update).

Fall back to rule #1:
If it is not broke, don't fix it, otherwise re-install.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #2458
foghat
Evangelist

Hi again,

I just started a new book where, it seems, the cover cannot be automatically processed. I have confirmed it is an issue with this book (vs. my install) - as I can still process covers of other books.

Workaround is to rename the empty 'covers' file and then copy an image of the book cover to the screensavers folder. Problem solved for this 'problem' book.

All this said, I am curious: what causes some books to not be processed? The book in question does contain a cover. I suspect this has been explained before, but I did not have much luck with my thread searches.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #2459
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Hi again,

I just started a new book where, it seems, the cover cannot be automatically processed. I have confirmed it is an issue with this book (vs. my install) - as I can still process covers of other books.

Workaround is to rename the empty 'covers' file and then copy an image of the book cover to the screensavers folder. Problem solved for this 'problem' book.

All this said, I am curious: what causes some books to not be processed? The book in question does contain a cover. I suspect this has been explained before, but I did not have much luck with my thread searches.

Thanks.
If it is a KFX format boot, then the problem is you did not get the ss package from this thread:

If it is some other format, then give us more details than "some don't work".
Old 04-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #2460
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
If it is a KFX format boot, then the problem is you did not get the ss package from this thread:

If it is some other format, then give us more details than "some don't work".
I do have that version installed.

Honestly, I am not 100% sure how to tell if it is a kfx format book. If I download the book to my pc via kindle for pc it is an azw file.

Looking at the files in the documents folder on the kindle pw3, it is not readily apparent to me which file is the actual book (if there even is a single 'book' file) there is a metadata.kfx file in the assets folder. There is also a kfx file in the assets-->attachables folder

I presume this means it is a kfx file?

The book that 'works' also has a metadata.kfx file kfx file in the attachables folder.

If I restart the framework in Kual, I see the default screensaver stating something like: 'you have screensaver installed but a cover has not been generated yet'

What I mean by 'not working', is for this particular book, the cover will not auto-generate after opening the book. I continue to see the default 'not generated yet' cover after shutting off the device.

Other books I have tried work fine - in that the cover is extracted and is shown when the kindle is turned off.

Last edited by foghat; 04-16-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch