Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
GEKARAM
GEKARAM doesn't litterGEKARAM doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019
ePub vs Mobi ToC on Kindle e-Readers

Amazon will stop supporting sent files using MOBI format and will only accept EPUB.

I regularly use Calibre to fetch news (e.g., The Economist). When using EPUB format, the KINDLE e-READER (i.e., Kindle Oasis 2019) does not have a ToC page with a comprehensive listing of the articles (as it did with the MOBI format). The ePub format only displays a simple drop-down TOC with a list of the sections. Also, KINDLE OASIS does not display the cover art of the EPUB for the fetched news, but it does with the MOBI format.

Is there a way to fix the above issues?

Thks.
GEKARAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEKARAM View Post
Amazon will stop supporting sent files using MOBI format and will only accept EPUB.

I regularly use Calibre to fetch news (e.g., The Economist). When using EPUB format, the KINDLE e-READER (i.e., Kindle Oasis 2019) does not have a ToC page with a comprehensive listing of the articles (as it did with the MOBI format). The ePub format only displays a simple drop-down TOC with a list of the sections. Also, KINDLE OASIS does not display the cover art of the EPUB for the fetched news, but it does with the MOBI format.

Is there a way to fix the above issues?

Thks.
Yeah, stop sending your downloaded news via email and just download the news as Mobi and side load.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindles will continue to support MOBI format going forward, you just won't be able to send it via email. You can sideload MOBI from calibre via USB or you can put the MOBI file on a web server (such as calibre's sever) and download it to the Kindle using the web browser.

If you send an EPUB to a Kindle via email the resulting document will be delivered in KF8 (azw3) format and will lack special periodical handling and a cover thumbnail image.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
GEKARAM

How one would do a download via web browser using Kindle E-Reader (i.e., Oasis)?
Old 07-12-2022, 11:52 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How one would do a download via web browser using Kindle E-Reader (i.e., Oasis)?
What is it you are wanting to download?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #6
GEKARAM

lol. @JSWolf Are you inherently lazy, dumb and ill-intentioned? You butt in to give a moronic (and blatantly obvious) workaround without adding to the conversation or addressing the key issue at hand (i.e., process automation for periodicals and ePub lacking periodical handling and a cover thumbnail). And now you butt in again without reading the above post by @jhowel where it states "you can put the MOBI file on a web server (such as calibre's sever) and download it to the Kindle using the web browser."
Old 07-13-2022, 12:09 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Use the web browser on your Kindle eReader to connect to a calibre server?

From calibre, go to Preferences => Sharing over the net. For testing purposes, I wouldn't bother with setting user names/passwords. The default port is 8080, again, no need to change for testing. Click on the start server button. Note the IP address and port the content server is listening on. Sample is below:

Code:
Content server listening at: 10.234:0.59, port 8080, HTTP
On your Kindle, from the home screen, tap on the menu button ( 3 vertical dots ). Tap on Web Browser. In the address bar, type in 10.234.0.59:8080/mobile. Your current library should be listed in date order. You should see a list of file types for the book. The Kindle browser can download AZW, PRC, MOBI or TXT files so tap on one of those file types for a book and it will be downloaded to your Kindle.

Personally, I prefer to USB connect my ereader to send books but that's my preference.

And if you want to blame Amazon for not adding the periodical capabilities to KF8 and/or KFX, feel free to.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-13-2022 at 12:14 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:15 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
lol. @JSWolf Are you inherently lazy, dumb and ill-intentioned? You butt in to give a moronic (and blatantly obvious) workaround without adding to the conversation or addressing the key issue at hand (i.e., process automation for periodicals and ePub lacking periodical handling and a cover thumbnail). And now you butt in again without reading the above post by @jhowel where it states "you can put the MOBI file on a web server (such as calibre's sever) and download it to the Kindle using the web browser."
While I have problems with some of @JSWolf's replies, your question was pretty dumb as well. I mean, you asked:

Quote:
Doesn't you question actually contain the answer? "via web browser" seems to be how to download a book on the device. Or are you asking how to use the browser on the Kindle? Or were you actually asking the question that @DNSB seems to think you were asking, which is something like "How do I host the file?" Which seems to have not been the question because you state that you already have that answer from @jhowell.

So, what where you asking? And note, there is some sense in @JSWolf's question because exactly what you want to download might affect how you host it. And the fact that you asked about MOBI and news in the first post might give an answer of "You can't".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, fetch news, kindle oasis, mobi, toc