Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-19-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Looking for the cheapest android e-ink reader

I'm a happy Kindle Oasis user, but I've recently got a subscription to Scribd which has a lot of content that my library does not have. I would prefer not to have to read it on my color tablet, but I don't want to spend a small fortune for another e-ink device.

I don't care much about size or features. I have done some research in the relevant threads here, but it's hard to get a handle on all these brand names which are new to me. I would also be fine looking for something on eBay, but I would love some suggestions just to get started. Thanks.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:38 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I don't care much about size or features. I have done some research in the relevant threads here, but it's hard to get a handle on all these brand names which are new to me. I would also be fine looking for something on eBay, but I would love some suggestions just to get started. Thanks.
Look for Boox or Meebook
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2023, 01:13 PM   #3
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
As the HaxMini eReader kickstarter campaign has ended, (you were able to get an Oasis style 5,8 inch ereader with 130 ppi screen and Android for 69$) depending on where you live, the "cheapest" one would be an Inkbook Calypso Plus. In Europe you will get that device for about 129€
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 03:04 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Oasis is 300 dpi and 130 dpi is very low for eink.

The absolute cheapest might not be good. I don't know what price the Meebook are, but I bought a Boyue Likebook Mars 7.8″ 300dpi eink Android, which may have been the previous incarnation of Meebook. It's fine, though not all Android apps are suitable for eink.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:01 PM   #5
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Look for Boox or Meebook
Thank you. I'll dive in there.
Advert
Old 05-20-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
As the HaxMini eReader kickstarter campaign has ended, (you were able to get an Oasis style 5,8 inch ereader with 130 ppi screen and Android for 69$) depending on where you live, the "cheapest" one would be an Inkbook Calypso Plus. In Europe you will get that device for about 129€
Well, it's frustrating to have missed that boat. I'm in the U.S.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:03 PM   #7
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Oasis is 300 dpi and 130 dpi is very low for eink.

The absolute cheapest might not be good. I don't know what price the Meebook are, but I bought a Boyue Likebook Mars 7.8″ 300dpi eink Android, which may have been the previous incarnation of Meebook. It's fine, though not all Android apps are suitable for eink.
Yes, it's looking like the new Meebook M6 is reasonably priced at US$159. I'm checking reviews. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
When I visit this site, I am able to get a rebranded Likebook (predecessor brand of Meebook) 6 inch ereader with 212ppi and Android 8.1 for under 60€ inclusive shipping:

https://www.temu.com/de-en/cappsu-e-...514632804.html
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 01:30 PM   #9
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
When I visit this site, I am able to get a rebranded Likebook (predecessor brand of Meebook) 6 inch ereader with 212ppi and Android 8.1 for under 60€ inclusive shipping:

That is both frightening and very tempting
Old 05-21-2023, 02:49 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
130 dpi is a non-starter.
212 dpi is sub-optimal. Your finances and your reading must be considered.

Android version is largely immaterial if you use your reader only for reading.
Higher Android version is largely just an impediment to customization.
Android 8 wouldn't scare me, but 212 dpi would rule it out for me.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:22 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A 212 dpi screen might be acceptable for a 13.8″ eink, not 6″.

Android 8 is OK.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #12
Desertway
Addict

Quote:

Just bought this little guy for $46 with a 30% coupon code. Hopefully it will show up and meet my minimal needs. If not, I won't be too devastated. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2023, 11:45 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Just bought this little guy for $46 with a 30% coupon code. Hopefully it will show up and meet my minimal needs. If not, I won't be too devastated. Thank you!
These no-name devices can be a waste of money. I'd have gone with one that is a name brand that you know will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:33 PM   #14
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
These no-name devices can be a waste of money. I'd have gone with one that is a name brand that you know will work.
It's not really a no-name, it's a rebranded low end Likebook. I read 98% on my Kindle Oasis 3. I have a Scribd subscription almost entirely for audiobooks. However, on rare occasion, Scribd has an ebook that is too expensive to buy and is not available from my library. I'm hoping to use this cheapy for that...maybe one book every month or two. Also, sometimes Libby has a book I want to read in ePub only. I'd rather not go through the ADE/Calibre/DRM/transfer process if I don't have to.

For $46 it's worth the risk, and I get to play with a new toy.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:15 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's not really a no-name, it's a rebranded low end Likebook. I read 98% on my Kindle Oasis 3. I have a Scribd subscription almost entirely for audiobooks. However, on rare occasion, Scribd has an ebook that is too expensive to buy and is not available from my library. I'm hoping to use this cheapy for that...maybe one book every month or two. Also, sometimes Libby has a book I want to read in ePub only. I'd rather not go through the ADE/Calibre/DRM/transfer process if I don't have to.

For $46 it's worth the risk, and I get to play with a new toy.
Did you check that the Scribed app will run on Android 8.1?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote