Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-14-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Remarkable 2 - Kobo Elipsa 2E - or Onyx Boox Tab Ultra?

I really, really love the looks of the Remarkable 2 - but I can't find info about its use of dictionaries for epubs, and I use that a lot in my Clara. But it is so damn pretty.

I also like Elipsa 2E simply because I'm used to the way KOBO stuff works.

I own right now a BOOX Note and I haven't used it in ages, and I'm not sure about the Tab Ultra.

Which would you choose?

Thanks.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:46 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
AFAIR, the Remarkable 2 does not support the use of an on-board dictionary.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
The Remarkable 2 is remarkably bad at ePubs. Pretty sure they convert all ePubs to PDFs which makes things like changing font size slow particularly in big books.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:56 PM   #4
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. It's so shiny and new, and so so pretty.

I looked up the OS and it is proprietary, so no apps at all.

I suppose I'll be going with the KOBO since I'm already used to their software and I can use Calibre.

Why did it have to be sooo pretty?

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:29 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The reMarkable 2 is in some ways inferior to original. It has a bit more CPU & RAM thinner, slippier glass front and ditches the buttons. Both run essentially the same FW. They only recently added a touch keyboard for typing notes (into the notepad). It's about 6 G Byte document space. The Elipsa has maybe over 29 G Byte free.
The reMarkable has no MTP or USB MS, but is USB networking.
It's got no library function, which is why there is a file browser.
It's a PDF viewer and the Notebook is a drawing pad; there is no handwriting recognition on board, you send files to have them converted.
There is no native epub support.
If you can't or don't use the reMarkable desktop application or their Cloud subscription you can only use a web browser on the desktop to drag and drop a file or download a file.
No Calibre support even by Send to Disk.

Both Elipsa and reMarkable are about 227 dpi screen. I prefer the MS surface type pen (have Kobo and two makes of 3rd party for Surface) to the Wacom EMR the reMarkable uses.

I have the original Elipsa, but only for proofing PDFs. The Sage is a better size for epubs, writing notes and is OK for many PDFs. The reMarkable was gathering dust so I gave it to my daughter-in-law who is a bit of digital artist. The reMarkable seems a nice HW spoiled by people that can write good software but have no clue about ereaders, or users, or ergonomics of connecting a gadget. The reMarkable 2 seems to be a combination of cost reduction, later CPU and attempt to make it smaller (ditches the 3 useful buttons). You can apparently install KOreader on the reMarkable and maybe a couple of other things, but it looked complicated. The PDF reader was better than the Elipsa (or Sage etc) till Kobo updated the firmware to have per document crop.
If you have sharp eyes the Sage (8″ 300 dpi) might be handier and cheaper than the Elipsa (10.3″ 227 dpi) for many PDFs. I got the Elipsa before the Sage and it was what convinced me to get it because I already had the Libra.

The Libra 2 Sketchpad also can do freehand only notes (no edit later) with the Pen, saved as svg. Currently only the Sage, Elipsa and Elipsa 2 of Kobo models do the Advanced notepad with shape, formula, checkbox and handwriting conversion. Export as docx, plain text or HTML and based on Nebo (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac but not Linux).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2023, 05:45 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
and I'm not sure about the Tab Ultra.

Which would you choose?
What do you want to do with it?
I chose it because it is an almost universally usable EInk tablet.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:13 AM   #7
LordP
Zealot

@Quoth
"there is no handwriting recognition on board, you send files to have them converted."
That's very sneaky, their website simply says "Convert your handwritten notes to typed text", they mention nothing about sending the files.

@ottischwenk
Nothing much, I want to keep a graphic representation of the plants and vegetables in my garden and have a schedule for fertilizing and such. Plus I would also have some gardening PDFs.
But in reality, I'm a sucker for new and pretty tech.
You should see the huge amount of stuff I've accumulated - at one time I had nine digital cameras, and let me tell you they are not cheap.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:06 AM   #8
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
Which would you choose?

I have the reMarkable 2 but my usage of the device is total different to that you would like to do.
I don’t read E-Books or PDFs with the rM2.

In your case I would chose the Kobo Elipsa 2E.

With the Elipsa 2E you can stay in the Kobo world, which you are liking, you are accustomed to it and would work with Calibre pretty fine.

In my opinion the Onyx Boox Tab Ultra is oversized and to expensive for the things you want to do with.

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 04-16-2023 at 05:15 AM.
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:21 AM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenfee View Post
I have the reMarkable 2 but my usage of the device is total different to that you would like to do.
I don’t read E-Books or PDFs with the rM2.

In your case I would chose the Kobo Elipsa 2E.

With the Elipsa 2E you can stay in the Kobo world, which you are liking, you are accustomed to it and would work with Calibre pretty fine.

In my opinion the Onyx Boox Tab Ultra is oversized and to expensive for the things you want to do with.
The Onyx Boox Tab Ultra is basically the same size as the Remarkable 2 and Elispa. They are all 10.3" screen devices. The Ultra costs more but it also has more storage, is faster and has more features.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:34 AM   #10
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
The Onyx Boox Tab Ultra is basically the same size as the Remarkable 2 and Elispa. They are all 10.3" screen devices. The Ultra costs more but it also has more storage, is faster and has more features.
I know the size of the devices. I meant the Ultra have lots of features which he wouldn’t need for his use. That kind of „oversized“.
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote