Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
skurt
skurt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Cant load books or connect to WiFi

First time ereader owner here!

I am having 2 big issues currently they are as follows:

1. Can not connect to WiFi, the password entering screen doesn't allow me to Shift and type capitals so I cannot type my WPA. Not sure why this is happening but its very frustrating.

2. I cannot add books onto it no matter what i try, I have tried through calibre, windows explorer drag and drop. I have tried both mobi and epub formats of ebooks and it just doesn't load either one of them.

I have tried basic reset, factory resets and nothing works. Any help would be appreciated, really hope this isn't a defective ereader.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!
skurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurt View Post
First time ereader owner here!

I am having 2 big issues currently they are as follows:

1. Can not connect to WiFi, the password entering screen doesn't allow me to Shift and type capitals so I cannot type my WPA. Not sure why this is happening but its very frustrating.

2. I cannot add books onto it no matter what i try, I have tried through calibre, windows explorer drag and drop. I have tried both mobi and epub formats of ebooks and it just doesn't load either one of them.

I have tried basic reset, factory resets and nothing works. Any help would be appreciated, really hope this isn't a defective ereader.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!
On the wifi are you able to change your WPA password?
Kobos do not natively read mobis.
On the side loading are you sure your computer is reading the device?
What operating system on the computer?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I presume you did do the device setup via Kobo Desktop?

Where on your device are you placing the books? Do NOT place them in the .kobo directory, or ANY directory that starts with a period.

After you disconnect the device from your computer you should see a "Processing content" screen pop up on the Kobo.

Don't expect much joy from transferring MOBI format material. While yes, Kobo DOES have some support for Mobi format, I would not depend on it working well.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Yes, they do (if DRM free) but not anywhere near as well as they work with ePub's or kePub's so it's a much better idea to convert to one of those.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, they do (if DRM free) but not anywhere near as well as they work with ePub's or kePub's so it's a much better idea to convert to one of those.
Thank you. I did not know that. This information could come in handy.
Now back to the OP. In the beginning, it is best to stick with the common formats for your device.
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
skurt

Quote:
On the wifi are you able to change your WPA password?
On the side loading are you sure your computer is reading the device?
What operating system on the computer?
I am not sure about being able to change my WPA, would have to look into that, but if it comes to that I would.

When I plug in the Kobo Aura, the ereader has then pop up to "Connect" I click that and a folder to view files etc comes up.

Windows 7 Enterprise.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
skurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I presume you did do the device setup via Kobo Desktop?

Where on your device are you placing the books? Do NOT place them in the .kobo directory, or ANY directory that starts with a period.

After you disconnect the device from your computer you should see a "Processing content" screen pop up on the Kobo.

Don't expect much joy from transferring MOBI format material. While yes, Kobo DOES have some support for Mobi format, I would not depend on it working well.
I just placed them in the"KOBOeReader (F" folder in a new folder I created named Books, also tried just pasting the files not in a folder there as well.

After I disconnect there is no "processing content screen".

Do I need the ereader to be connected to the internet for them to process on the device/kobo desktop?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #8
skurt

Also do I need to get Adobe Digital Editions?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Also do I need to get Adobe Digital Editions?
You only need ADE if you're planning to download and transfer DRM protected books. Kobo often offers an Adobe DRM'd ePub copy of books (or DRM free ePub depending on publisher) you purchase from their website as well as the kePub copy which you get when downloading directly to your device. Other stores also sell Adobe DRM'd ePub's (Google Play, eBooks.com and others) which will work on your Kobo. The other main source for Adobe DRM'd books is public library loans.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Oh also are you safely ejecting or just pulling the plug?
I know my wifi password is numbers which is why I asked.
Look on the side of your modem. There should be a website for advanced or type in the IP address listed on the side in the address bar. That should pull up your modem.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Is the date / time / timezone set correctly on the device?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
skurt

Quote:
Oh also are you safely ejecting or just pulling the plug?
I know my wifi password is numbers which is why I asked.
Look on the side of your modem. There should be a website for advanced or type in the IP address listed on the side in the address bar. That should pull up your modem.
Yeah I always safely eject everything. I found how to change it will do that in the morning probably.
Would having it connected to wifi help the issue?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
skurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Is the date / time / timezone set correctly on the device?
It wont let me set those since its not connected to the internet currently.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #14
skurt

Alright so I just ejected it again and the processing content screen came up and all the ebooks are on the device now. Weird all I did was afk for an hour. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Alright so I just ejected it again and the processing content screen came up and all the ebooks are on the device now. Weird all I did was afk for an hour. Thanks for the help guys.
It may have been indexing and processing them.
Glad you got them.