Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 03:36 AM   #26551
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now: The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. Just bought, as it's on offer for just £1.19 in the Amazon UK November sale.
Which was fun. Unless you hate books with swearing, in which case this one isn't for you.

But clearly the first volume setting up a series. But the story seems to move along at a fair lick.

Next up: another recent purchase, I am Legend by Richard Matheson.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:37 AM   #26552
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
I'm curious what you think about this book and the author's liberties with history.
I am almost half finished and wondered about the section that takes place in South Carolina -- that there was a network of people helping escaped slaves with education, having employment and particularly the museum that depicts slavery and other history in the U.S.

I have not read much of a factual history of the underground railroad, so I do not know how much is made up. I'd hoped that he researched it.

Has anyone else read Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad and would you comment on the question above about liberties taken (or not)?
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #26553
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Since Halloween is coming up, I am finally reading Brom Stoker's Dracula. It is also a book I've had in my to-be-read (TBR) collection for years.

I also decided to quit checking the deals section and focus on the ~150 TBR books I collected over the years. I've bought or picked up freebies to include Biographies, Classics, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, History non-fiction, Historical Fiction, Mysteries, Thrillers, a Western, and a few Christian non-fiction and fiction books.
I really enjoyed Dracula when I finally got around to reading it. If you do like it, you might want to read Carmilla, which is free on Gutenberg. It inspired some of the events in Dracula.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #26554
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I finished The Mongrel Mage by L. E. Modesitt Jr. This is the 19th book in The Saga of Recluce Series. Very well done and looking forward to number 20, Outcasts of Order, due out June 19, 2018.
Now on to Admiral by Mike Shepherd.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #26555
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Now on to Admiral by Mike Shepherd.
I am woefully far behind in that universe. Not through disinterest, but lack of funds; I'm looking forward to a binge when I correct that problem.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #26556
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post

Has anyone else read Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad and would you comment on the question above about liberties taken (or not)?
Think of it as Science Fiction. It did win the Arthur C. Clarke Award for best science fiction novel published in 2016. It's an alternate history where the underground railroad was a literal railroad. So yes, liberties were taken.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #26557
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Think of it as Science Fiction. It did win the Arthur C. Clarke Award for best science fiction novel published in 2016. It's an alternate history where the underground railroad was a literal railroad. So yes, liberties were taken.
It also won the Pulitzer Prize for Best Novel and the National Book Award for Best Novel.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #26558
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Major liberties!

I stopped reading soon after she got on a literal underground railcar pulled by a steam engine. The skyscraper in South Carolina really perturbed my sense of accuracy in historical fiction.

I get what the author was trying to do in taking the last 150 or so years and condensing it into a fictional work loosely based on the underground railroad, but it was just too much for to keep reading.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #26559
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Major liberties!

I stopped reading soon after she got on a literal underground railcar pulled by a steam engine. The skyscraper in South Carolina really perturbed my sense of accuracy in historical fiction.

I get what the author was trying to do in taking the last 150 or so years and condensing it into a fictional work loosely based on the underground railroad, but it was just too much for to keep reading.
"Major liberties"? It's obviously speculative alt-history. The blurb makes that abundantly clear, as does every review I've ever read of it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:03 AM   #26560
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
"Major liberties"? It's obviously speculative alt-history. The blurb makes that abundantly clear, as does every review I've ever read of it.
(Whitehead's Underground Railroad)
Thanks for these posts. I thought it very odd about the railroad being literally underground and wasn't even sure if that's what was going on. I am having trouble with my laptop and internet (trouble typing -- lots of delays) or I'd write more about things that were unrealistic. I am going to finish it and then read full reviews.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #26561
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: another recent purchase, I am Legend by Richard Matheson.
A little dated, but an interesting take on the Vampire Apocalypse. I didn't like the resolution, which wasn't clearly driven by the setup, but by the author's desire for that ending.

Next up: The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. I read this some time ago, and it will be interesting to see how it stands up, especially as this seems to have some extra (original) material that was cut from the original release.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #26562
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Major liberties!

That's the very definition of the "alternative history" genre: to play the game of "What if..." with history. The book doesn't claim to be "real history "; it seems slightly unreasonable to criticise it on this grounds.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #26563
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I started Richard Lloyd Parry's Ghosts of the Tsunami: Death and Life in Japan’s Disaster Zone.
I plan to get back to this tonight. Had a big gap due to us moving a few hundred miles with a very scared little cat. I have felt the lack of reading the last few days and am ready to get back to it.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #26564
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I've started Charnel House by Graham Masterton. I have a bunch of old Graham Masterton books put out by Tor and Leisure, but I never actually read any of them.

Charnel House starts with a man going to the department of sanitation to complain that his house is breathing. I'm a chapter and a half in and the book is nice and spooky so far. Masterton does a good job of describing his spooky house.

was published in the late '70's and it shows (in a good way, so far). I'm liking the portrayal of late '70's San Francisco.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #26565
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I dont know if i poted this yt but I am reading Seveneves
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote