Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #1
hydin
Connoisseur
hydin doesn't litterhydin doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight 3
Error communicating with device (kindle paperwhite)

Hey

Having a weird error. Hooked up the kindle this morning, and it'll get to about 92-93% and then hits me with an error communicating with device.

Quote:
calibre, version 3.15.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 22] invalid mode ('wbN') or filename: u'M:\\metadata.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 408, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 296, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 448, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 445, in write_prefix
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 116, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wbN') or filename: u'M:\\metadata.calibre'
That's the error I get.

Any idea what's going on? Only recent change is the upgrade to the 3.15 version. I rarely connect my kindle to the pc, so I can't say this is because of that or another version.

Just odd. I've rebooted the pc a few times, and I still get the error each time.

Any helps appreciated!

Chris
hydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are probably too many files/folders in M:\ delete a few and you should be fine, or reformat it using fat32
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
hydin
Connoisseur
hydin doesn't litterhydin doesn't litter

Device: Paperwhite, Nook Glowlight 3

Yea I've got this thing pretty packed. Didn't think that'd ever cause an issue, but you learn something new every day

Thanks!!
Chris
hydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydin View Post

Yea I've got this thing pretty packed. Didn't think that'd ever cause an issue, but you learn something new every day

Thanks!!
Chris
FAT had it even worse with a limited number of files at root.

Make a 1 letter folder name in root (keeps total path names short), before placing the books folder
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
benny2007
benny2007 began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
Dear All,

i have the same problems as described in comment 1).

Books are on my Kindle, but Calibre doesn't show, that they are on the device.

But i do not understand, what has been described in comment 4).
?=> what to do here eaxactly...

Is it helpfull, does this solve the problem?

would be fine to get your inputs!
(==> for explanation: the error occured, when i added nearly 500 additional books to the kindle)
benny2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, if you use the default of allowing the eBooks to be put in different subdirectories with Calibre, you will end up with many empty subdirectories. When you delete the eBook, the subdirectory remains. So you have to then manually find the empty subdirectories and delete them. I just don't allow subdirectores. It just works much much better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The thing is, if you use the default of allowing the eBooks to be put in different subdirectories with Calibre, you will end up with many empty subdirectories. When you delete the eBook, the subdirectory remains. So you have to then manually find the empty subdirectories and delete them. I just don't allow subdirectores. It just works much much better.
I have not tried with my Kindle, but Kiwidude added a utility (fix: cleanup) to the the Quality check plugin that cleaned folders on my old PEZ when there was no book format.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:12 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you delete the book from the device using calibre, it will clean up empty directories. Deleting the books through the device interface, probably won't. But, honestly, who cares if there are some empty directories hanging around. It won't break anything.

And if you are going to hit a file limit in a directory because of the subdirectories, you will probably hit it sooner without them. And FAT16 is about the only commonly used files system where this would have been an issue.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote