Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Pier
Enthusiast
Pier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: sony ereader PRS700
Battery life between charges

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if the number of books on your ereader affects the duration of the battery between charges? My Sony 700 seems to need more frequent charges lately and I'm wondering if its the number of books or the battery itself that might need to be changed soon. I've had my reader for 18 months now and use it at least 4-5 hours each day.

Thanks!
Pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Consumer-grade Lithium-Ion packs are rated at 300-500 total discharge-charge cycles. It "feels" like you may be close to or at that milestone.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My Sony batteries went south sooner than 18 months (one around 12 and after only 6 months). So yeah, you're just near end-of-life unless you can live with a fraction of your original capacity.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
To get the best life out of a battery you need to wait until it is flat before charging, and remove it from the power supply as soon as it is charged. "Topping up" the charge, or leaving it on charge when it is already charged will both reduce its life expectency.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Pier
Enthusiast
Pier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: sony ereader PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
Consumer-grade Lithium-Ion packs are rated at 300-500 total discharge-charge cycles. It "feels" like you may be close to or at that milestone.
Thanks. I was afraid of that, looks like I'll have to separate from my reader for a while since it seems we poor ignoramuses cannot change the battery ourselves and have to send it in.
Pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

>> ... To get the best life out of a battery you need to wait until it is flat before charging, and remove it from the power supply as soon as it is charged. "Topping up" the charge, or leaving it on charge when it is already charged will both reduce its life expectency ...

This is poor advice and NOT what anyone will find when researching consumer-grade Li-Ion battery packs.

So I guess I will cite my sources in this thread ...

SOURCES: "Batteries in a Portable World" book from Cadex Corporation, many chapters of which are available on their Web site at cadex.com; personal experience and training while working in the commercial and amateur radio equipment industries.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
To get the best life out of a battery you need to wait until it is flat before charging, and remove it from the power supply as soon as it is charged. "Topping up" the charge, or leaving it on charge when it is already charged will both reduce its life expectency.
That's exactly the opposite of everything I've read on lithium-ion batteries. Most of the 'best practices" I've seen say that topping them up is better for them. It's the full charge/discharge cycles that reduce their life expectancy.

Were you referring to a different type of battery?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Possibly. I was thinking about my daughter's laptop and how it will only run for about 20 minutes because of the way she charges it.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Possibly. I was thinking about my daughter's laptop and how it will only run for about 20 minutes because of the way she charges it.
I thought something like a laptop used other battery technology, not usually lithium-ion.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It might be a really old Laptop (W9x era) if it had NiCd batteries.
Modern laptops use NiMh or LiOn . Deep discharge really shortens the life of the battery.
I have an older Toshiba that gets 20-40 Minutes. The battery is 8YEARS old so 30% capacity does not worry me as much as the $125 a new battery would cost
Also, running the Laptop with the wrong settings (Screen full bright, Never sleeps, Audio cranked up) will suck juice.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

It's only about 2 years old, but it was a very cheap one.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Apparently one of the biggest killers for laptop batteries is heat. My Toshiba is 3.5 years old and came with a 4400mah battery and over time it has degraded and now being reported at 738mah.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Yes, the biggest problem with Li-ion batteries is heat, which is produced by resistance during the charging process. The problem with laptops is usually that people use them while they're charging. Then the battery is subjected to a double dose of heat-one from the charging process & the other from the notebook being in use.

My 2nd-best advice for extending the life of Li-ion batteries in notebooks is, when the battery runs low and you want/need to continue using the notebook, plug it in & remove the battery. When you're done using the notebook, reinsert the battery (while leaving it plugged in) to recharge it.

My best advice doesn't extend the life of the actual battery, but does extend the life of the notebook-as a portable device and is *much* more convenient than the above, although it costs a little more. That's to buy an extra battery.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Just one more vote to do the reverse of Mr Ploppy's original charging advice. Everything I have ever read about Li-ion batteries said to top off frequently in preference to deep discharge.

Full discharge was absolutely true for NiCd batteries. I still have a Kenwood GMRS radio with NiCd but that's the only device I still use with that technology.

NiMH's big advance over NiCd was the ability to top off without inducing a memory effect. They tended to have higher self-discharge though (go flat quickly on the shelf). Newer generations are MUCH improved in charged shelf life though (Sanyo Eneloops, other brands have something similar).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...

>> ... Yes, the biggest problem with Li-ion batteries is heat, which is produced by resistance during the charging process ...

Consumer-grade Li-Ion packs have regulation circuitry built in to each pack. Using the supplied charger, there's no "overheating" issue that causes pack degradation.

The issue of heat comes up when folks mistreat NiMH cells/packs. Many use standard-rate, non-intelligent chargers with NiMH packs, and the resultant heat will compromise pack longevity.

SOURCE: "Batteries in a Portable World" by the Cadex Corporation.