Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Drainedsoul
Drainedsoul began at the beginning.

Device: none
Touch Input "Eaten"

So I recently acquired a tablet -- HP 2740p -- with the intent of doing all the things one does on a tablet on it, including reading eBooks.

When I found Calibre -- in the days leading up to my purchase -- I thought I'd found a one-stop-shop for my eBook cataloguing and reading needs.

Once I acquired the tablet, however, I noticed that Calibre isn't even on the Good, Better, Best model of Windows 7 touch -- Calibre eats touch input.

I don't know what it is about the program, but even the Windows 7 multi-touch gestures that are supposed to emulate input (one finger/two finger pan emulating the scroll wheel, etc.) for totally touch-unaware applications don't work.

What's the deal?
Drainedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The deal is that none of the calibre developers have multitouch tablets, so unless you're willing to buy us one...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
Drainedsoul
Drainedsoul began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The deal is that none of the calibre developers have multitouch tablets, so unless you're willing to buy us one...
Well the thing that's weird about it, is that things like right-click and panning are things Windows does "for free". I.e. it'll send right-click messages and try and move scrollbars in response to the appropriate touch/multi-touch messages, and does this unless the application explicitly handles the messages.

So Calibre must "handle" the messages, but do nothing to produce this behaviour...

...or at least, that's my understanding...

P.S.: I'm not hating -- Calibre is an amazing tool/program -- just wondering about this...
Drainedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's most likely the case that windows mouse emulation works only with programs written with the windows libraries. calibre uses Qt a cross platform library, so that may be the source of the problem. But without access to something to test on, I really can't give you a more detailed answer than that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote