Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Good News

After months of trying ever trick I knew with all the ebook readers there are, I have finally found a way to view Google and Internet Archive PDFs on three of the devices. The Cybook Gen 3, Illiad and Digital Reader. I open the PDF in preview that comes with os x on a mac. Use preview to crop the pages and then just save the PDF that I just cropped. Works fine on both the Illiad and the DR, but with some effort on the Cybook. The pages on the two Irex products look just like the book and pages turn quickly. It also seems to work on all PDFs scanned [OCR] or text based. If anyone knows of a free windows product that will do the same thing as Preview on os x, please let us know. I am looking for that. Also if the cropped PDF could be printed to PDF in the right page size then the PDF should be readable on the other devices also. I have still not been able to do that. Comes aout as gobblegook on the Sonys and bleds on the ezreader and jetbook.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Without ever having used Preview on OS X or knowing exactly what output you're getting, it's hard to say. If you're mainly just getting rid of the whitespace borders, there are lots of programs that do that, including Acrobat itself of course.

For something quick and free, try SoPDF (which is PDF > PDF despite being in the LRF forum for some reason)-- in addition to the core files posted up front, there's a GUI I made on page 2 of the thread. PageCrop, from one of the sticky threads in this forum, could probably do what you want too.

For scanned stuff, on the Sony, I tend to convert the PDF to LRF with PDFLRF, which works just fine. Rasterfarian might be worth a look too.

Last edited by frabjous; 03-30-2009 at 11:49 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
For OS X there is also PDFPen http://www.smileonmymac.com/PDFpen/. It allows you to do much more than preview. Then again, it is not free. However, if you do alot of PDF editing it does seem to be well worth the $50.

There is a ScreenCastsOnline episode on Preview. I learned alot about it from that.

http://www.screencastsonline.com/ind...45-preview.php

This is a member only show... but for Mac owners, I highly recommend an SCO membership.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Bob, amgoforth was looking for "a free windows product that will do the same thing as Preview"--he wasn't looking for more mac products.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Bob, amgoforth was looking for "a free windows product that will do the same thing as Preview"--he wasn't looking for more mac products.
Ah... I missed that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah... I missed that.

BOb

Thanks anyway, Bob. I have 2 mac laptops and 3 mac desktops, so I am good to go. I just wanted to find a free windows way to do it for those that use only windows. Doesn't seem like there is much interest though in OCRed PDFs. I find that shocking with all of them that are available.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
amgoforth
Groupie

Smile

Quote:
Without ever having used Preview on OS X or knowing exactly what output you're getting, it's hard to say. If you're mainly just getting rid of the whitespace borders, there are lots of programs that do that, including Acrobat itself of course.

I am just getting rid of the white borders, but find that preview does it better and easier then Acrobat Pro on either windows or os x.

For something quick and free, try SoPDF (which is PDF > PDF despite being in the LRF forum for some reason)-- in addition to the core files posted up front, there's a GUI I made on page 2 of the thread. PageCrop, from one of the sticky threads in this forum, could probably do what you want too.

I will give that a try thanks.

For scanned stuff, on the Sony, I tend to convert the PDF to LRF with PDFLRF, which works just fine. Rasterfarian might be worth a look too.
Is there a GUI for Rasterfarian? I am interested in getting scanned pdfs the proper size to view on the smaller eink screens like the sony and cybook.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
Is there a GUI for Rasterfarian? I am interested in getting scanned pdfs the proper size to view on the smaller eink screens like the sony and cybook.
Rasterfarian is kinda-sorta user friendly as is. I wouldn't call it a "GUI" per se, but if you run it, it'll walk you through the process. It isn't a command-line only interface like some programs you'll find around here.

I've had better luck with the others, however, particularly PDFLRF -- there's a Windows GUI for that. (SoPDF too if I don't want a large file size.)
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
frabjous
Wizard

[oops double post]
Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
amgoforth
Groupie

Quote:
Rasterfarian is kinda-sorta user friendly as is. I wouldn't call it a "GUI" per se, but if you run it, it'll walk you through the process. It isn't a command-line only interface like some programs you'll find around here.

I've had better luck with the others, however, particularly PDFLRF -- there's a Windows GUI for that. (SoPDF too if I don't want a large file size.)
Okay I will give it a shot this weekend. Is there any simple guide to it?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Okay I will give it a shot this weekend. Is there any simple guide to it?
Were you talking about Rasterfarian or PDFLRF?

The only things I know about either are things I've learned here at MobileRead, or learned by experimentation.

Here's an old thread on Rasterfarian. I've used it a grand total of once, however, so I'm not the person to ask.

The PDFLRF thread I linked to above has a bunch of info, I think... but I mainly just figured it out with trial and error.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
amgoforth
Groupie

Quote:
Were you talking about Rasterfarian or PDFLRF?

The only things I know about either are things I've learned here at MobileRead, or learned by experimentation.

Here's an old thread on Rasterfarian. I've used it a grand total of once, however, so I'm not the person to ask.

The PDFLRF thread I linked to above has a bunch of info, I think... but I mainly just figured it out with trial and error.
Rasterfarian, but I wound up not having the time this weekend.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Why not try PDFRead 1.8.2? Make sure to get the dos updates at the bottom of the 1st post there.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
frabjous
Wizard

I've had much better luck with PDFLRF and Rasterfarian than PDFread, but by all means, try them all and see what you like.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I use PDFill PDF Tools (Free). It comes with a trial version of their PDF Editor but it doesn't take up much space anyway.

You can't preview PDF documents with PDF Tools, but if you need to do a constant crop on all pages, it works very nicely. To figure out cropping margins, what I do is export a page from the PDF to image (PNG, usually 100 dpi for easy calculations: 1in=100px ), open the image in IrfanView and crop it from there. Once I have the margin values, I just do a batch crop on the original PDF file in PDF Tools.

If you have a PDF reader which displays rulers, then you can base cropping margin from there. No need to convert to images. Try as I might, though, I couldn't find any way to show rulers on Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote