Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever dropped an ereader in the bath?
Once 2 1.63%
More than once 5 4.07%
Never, and I read in bath 29 23.58%
Never, but I never read in the bath 87 70.73%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bryant View Post
But my wife did throw my Jetbook Mini into the sea - neither it nor the SD card had survived the experience when I recovered it at low tide.

It was an accident - I forgave her at once. But it's far too good a story to forget.
If I was on vacation and that happened to me, I;m not sure I could forgive my wife. Yes, I could repopulate a new Reader, but could I get one in time?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #47
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I take showers almost exclusively. The few baths that I've taken in recent years were more for easing back and knee pain than maintaining cleanliness, so I wouldn't have been interested in trying to hold up an ereader.

Fortunately, I've never dropped anything more valuable than a pen or pencil into the toilet.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #48
Apae01
Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apae01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
@JSWOLF: my ereader died (broken substrate) last summer while on holiday. Two days later Amazon delivered a new one to the campsite...

On topic: I do read in the bath, and my pocketbook survives that. It never got more than a few drops of water on it though, and should be waterproof.
Apae01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #49
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I was on vacation and that happened to me, I;m not sure I could forgive my wife. Yes, I could repopulate a new Reader, but could I get one in time?
This is why I always bring a backup reader when on vacation, along with my tablet and my phone. The thought of not being able to read makes me itch. It's also why I store my books in the Kindle cloud...no matter where I am, there they are (as long as I have cell service, of course!). I also have my Calibre portable USB stick in my purse at all times, just in case no cell service or other internet access.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #50
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Fear of dropping it is the main reason I don't take my Kobo to the bath. Though to be fair, I do have impaired coodination.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2020, 06:15 AM   #51
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No, but I have spilled coffee on my H2O. It was nice to be able to just rinse it off.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm not a bath person, but I can see the appeal of reading in the tub.

And to pivot...

My parents have one of those big old claw tooth tubs. Apparently, it is not up to code anymore. The water enters from the front of the tub, which is about half way up. So once the tub is half full, the waterline is above the intake. Which means that water can seep back into the good water supply. Which is a health hazard.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #53
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Also, reading in the tub, I have concerns about how well a touchscreen would do when wet.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Fear of dropping it is the main reason I don't take my Kobo to the bath.
And of course, that is the point of buying a waterproof reader. I don't take my waterproof Nook Scuba diving. But I feel safer reading it floating in the pool or in the tub.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #55
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
And of course, that is the point of buying a waterproof reader. I don't take my waterproof Nook Scuba diving. But I feel safer reading it floating in the pool or in the tub.
Am I the only adult on Mobileread who can no longer float in a bathtub due to the size of a bathtub and the length of my body?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #56
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And the heat/steam is also not good for a Reader. Does anyone know if heat/steam can damage the waterproofing?
Sometimes the screen temporarily fogs up on the top, I wipe with my fingers and it clears. I haven't had any problems and do hot bath reading sessions several times a week.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #57
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I don't have baths so no. I suppose I could take the Libra H20 in the shower but I'm not going to do that. LOL
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Am I the only adult on Mobileread who can no longer float in a bathtub due to the size of a bathtub and the length of my body?
So I'm guessing this isn't part of your daily struggle?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #59
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Also, reading in the tub, I have concerns about how well a touchscreen would do when wet.
With my waterproof readers, it works fine. I haven't had issues with Paperwhite 4 or Oasis 3 with the touchscreen acting strangely when in the bath and wet fingers, or some water on part of the screen.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #60
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
With my waterproof readers, it works fine. I haven't had issues with Paperwhite 4 or Oasis 3 with the touchscreen acting strangely when in the bath and wet fingers, or some water on part of the screen.
All of my capacitive touchscreen devices refuse to acknowledge my finger performing a legitimate gesture from time to time, but they all go nuts responding to a drop of water rolling around on the screen.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote