Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
Rhooo
Rhooo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo store no longer working in Eastern Europe

I'm posting this in the hopes that other people who live outside Western Europe / North America have run into this problem as well. I'm in Romania, Eastern Europe and as of right now, I can no longer buy anything on the Kobo e-book store.

The store used to work without a problem on my end. Just a few weeks ago I was able to add several dozen books to my wishlist and successfully pre-ordered "When Sorrows Come" (the 15th book in the October Daye series). Now? Every single book gives me the following error, where the 'add to cart/add to wishlist' buttons should be:

Unavailable in Romania

This item can't be purchased in Romania. See Other Editions

Clicking on 'see other editions' does nothing.

I've randomly clicked on over a hundred books in the store, in the last few hours, exact same result. What's interesting is that the books in my wishlist apparently can be bought, if I click on 'add to cart' within the wishlist itself (if I go to the book's store page, I get the 'unavailable' message). So I'm stuck with the only purchasable books in the whole damn store being the ones I'd already added to my wishlist before this shitshow.

I asked other European friends to check if they can buy books from the Kobo store and a friend from Poland confirmed that they're getting the same kind of 'unavailable' message on every single book as well. I then tested with a proxy -- the books show up as available for purchase with a proxy set to the US, UK, Germany and the Netherlands. The 'unavailable' error comes back with a Czech Republic proxy.

Support has been rather hopeless so far. Just "clear your browser cookies" (already done, problem persists), "try incognito mode" (already done, problem persists), "try a different browser" (already done, problem persists), etc. In the end, the only thing I got was a promise that the issue would be escalated higher, no explanation as to what on earth is happening.

The kicker? I bought a brand-new Kobo Clara HD just last month and was excited to start getting books for it, when I had a bit more money available. Now I'm just crushed and angry at the very real possibility that Kobo might've kicked Eastern Europe (and who knows how many other non-Western countries) to the curb.
Rhooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hmm I don't see this problem in Estonia. Perhaps it's a glitch of some sort?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Change your address to another country.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote