Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
stonegrey
stonegrey began at the beginning.

Device: kobo n647b, Kobo Aura, Hisense sero 7pro - jailbroken
Glo unresponsive

I acquired a Glo N613 recently, that is stuck on a book page.

I've tried the following:

charged it overnight - can't really tell if it charged or not, other tthan the fact i have 4.1V at the battery.

1. basic reset - no change
2. factory reset - not possible
3. hard reset - press the light button and hold power button - this frequently gives me a solid red light, after running through green then blue.
4. external factory reset (from kobo CS) hold the light button and insert paperclip in reset hole whilst plugged in and charging - this will also give me a sold red light.
5. wipe the SD card and install a new disk image - no change
6. disconnect battery, sd card and screen, clean all connectors with alcohol - no change.
7. install android 2 on the sd card, screen illuminates (on and off) nothing else.

anyone have any ideas on a possible fix?

thanks in advance.
stonegrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Is the light button working or worked before? Sound to me like a broken screen, post a photo of the screen.

Last edited by oren64; 04-28-2018 at 05:57 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
stonegrey

Don't know if it worked, but it seems to with android installed.

How do I post photos? Do I need photobucket, or can I link Google drive?

Last edited by stonegrey; 04-28-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #4
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Go Advanced > Attachments (paper clip)
Old 04-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
stonegrey

Picture of screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180428_121430.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	875.9 KB
ID:	163707  
Advert
Old 04-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegrey View Post
Picture of screen
I don't see any damage to the screen.
As light button and led is working it does indicate that the screen is not responsive.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
I find it weird that it shows a book page while you have said that you have cleaned the sd card and flashed a new image so the book page should be gone if you ask me. Your computer does see the book partition on the kobo?
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
stonegrey

Surely the backlight would work if only the screen was faulty, especially as the backlight works when android is installed.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
stonegrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
I find it weird that it shows a book page while you have said that you have cleaned the sd card and flashed a new image so the book page should be gone if you ask me. Your computer does see the book partition on the kobo?
Nope. It won't stay on when connected to my pc
Old 04-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
I find it weird that it shows a book page while you have said that you have cleaned the sd card and flashed a new image so the book page should be gone if you ask me.
That's the way that e-ink works. The screen is drawn and it stays that way until it is redrawn. It uses now power. And can get very confusing when things go wrong.
Quote:
Your computer does see the book partition on the kobo?
The device isn't booting, so the PC won't show anything and won't even know the device is connected.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@stonegrey: Broken screen was my first thought, but I can't see anything wrong with the screen.

About the only thing I can think of to try is a new SD card with the image. I don't think that is the problem, but it is something to try.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #12
stonegrey

Tried a new SD card, dies exactly the same thing.

Put android on another SD card, when powered up, the screen illuminates. The backlight button makes no difference, screen illumination on goes off when you power the unit down. The e ink doesn't change at all.

Any other things to try?
Old 04-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #13
stonegrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@stonegrey: Broken screen was my first thought, but I can't see anything wrong with the screen.

About the only thing I can think of to try is a new SD card with the image. I don't think that is the problem, but it is something to try.

Do you think its a screen fault, or a motherboard issue? I don't particularly want to buy one, only to find that its the other.

I have cleaned the screen around the edge of the bezel, just in case there was something there, but that did nothing either.

are these touch screen, or infra red beam?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #14
stonegrey

One thing i would like to check, is that i have written the image to the card correctly.

1. Backup old card using image creator.
2. Wipe card using windows disk management (or mini tool).
3. Make a new simple volume, i chose ntfs.
4. Write the kobo image file to the SD card using image creator.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegrey View Post
Do you think its a screen fault, or a motherboard issue? I don't particularly want to buy one, only to find that its the other.
Sorry, I don't know. I can't see a problem with the screen in the image. But, some screens show cracks on the back that aren't visible yet on the front.
Quote:
I have cleaned the screen around the edge of the bezel, just in case there was something there, but that did nothing either.

are these touch screen, or infra red beam?
The Glo is infrared. It does mean you need to get it back together properly for the touch to work. But, I don't think this is getting to the point where the touch is activated.