Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
RJAJ
RJAJ began at the beginning.

Device: KA1
Post Best way to hold a KA1

I usually read my book lying in the bed. Its relatively easy to hold sitting down but since there is not much of a side bezel, I was wondering how the rest hold the KA1 lying down. The most natural is holding it like a page with the thumb in the text area. Does this cause interfere with the screen functionality or cause it to blip, highlight text etc? Any suggestion is appreciated.
RJAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you are pressing anywhere on the screen, then the device will react to that. What happens depends on what is under where you are pressing. As you are reading, the most likely thing under your thumb is some text. In that case, the device will select the text and display the menu. If your thumb is in the middle at the bottom, it will probably cause the page progress to cycle between the different types.

I think how you hold these devices depends on size of the device and your hand. With the Glo HD, I could wrap my fingers around the back and easily tap the edge of the screen with my thumb to turn the page. The Aura ONE is too big for that. When I'm lying down on my side, I tend to hold it in two ways. One is by the bottom-right corner with my thumb across bottom bezel, my index finger along the side bezel and the others behind the device. The other is by the top-right corner with my index finger along the top bezel and the rest behind it. The side is sort of gripped in my palm and I use the thumb to turn the page. The problem with this method is that the base of the index finger will frequently bookmark the page.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-31-2017 at 12:22 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
It all depends how tired I am and whether I am lying on my back, side or stomach. Usually, when operating it one-handed, I have all four fingers behind the device and my thumb on the front edge. With a slight move and tap of my thumb I can turn the page forward. If I want to turn a page backwards, it is usually easiest just to give it a quick tap with the other hand. Not much of a problem since pages are usually being turned forward.

I use my left hand to hold the device when reading in Japanese. And I use my right hand to hold it when reading in left to right languages.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A case on the KA1 will make it easier to hold. That's what I've found on every Reader I've used. The h2O is easier to hold using a case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A case on the KA1 will make it easier to hold. That's what I've found on every Reader I've used. The h2O is easier to hold using a case.
I'll disagree with that, especially for the Aura H2O. The case added enough bulk, that it didn't fit in my hands very well. For the Aura ONE, it is about the same. The cover adds weight which makes it harder to hold for a long period of time, and the texture of the cover doesn't improve the grip much. It is better when the cover is closed, but it isn't better when cover is open for reading.
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll disagree with that, especially for the Aura H2O. The case added enough bulk, that it didn't fit in my hands very well. For the Aura ONE, it is about the same. The cover adds weight which makes it harder to hold for a long period of time, and the texture of the cover doesn't improve the grip much. It is better when the cover is closed, but it isn't better when cover is open for reading.
The weight of the cover I have is 4.2oz. I've had it on for a long time. I don't find it to make the H2O too heavy. I find that I prefer holding the H2O with the cover as opposed to without. To each his own.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The weight of the cover I have is 4.2oz. I've had it on for a long time. I don't find it to make the H2O too heavy. I find that I prefer holding the H2O with the cover as opposed to without. To each his own.
My KA1 always resides in its cover. Never experienced any difficulty holding it single-handedly.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Jon: You are far to black-and-white, and assume your own experiences match everyone elses.

Now, I should have said "might make it to heavy". And that is from an experience in another forum with someone who had very weak hands. Adding the cover to the Aura H2O meant that she probably couldn't hold it up for more the 15 minutes at a time. The original Kindle Oasis was a godsend as she could easily take it out of cover when reading and easily hold if for long periods of times.

The other part was my personal experience. I don't find the cover improves the grip over the bare Aura H2O. And because it makes it bulkier, and heavier, it actually makes it worse for me personally to hold for any period time. For my other ereaders, I'm pretty neutral on how the cover affects the reading comfort. But, if the Aura ONE wasn't leaving the house, I would probably take it out of the cover.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I'd like to know is where are the nice stand covers for the H2O2 and the KA1? This would make it much easier for someone with weak hands to read.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What I'd like to know is where are the nice stand covers for the H2O2 and the KA1? This would make it much easier for someone with weak hands to read.
Personally, I don't think any sort of stand would work for me. None of the places I read would have somewhere it can sit. The Aura ONE cover does fold for a stand, and it does work, but I haven't actually read more than a page while it's been standing (but I have read lots when I've been standing).
Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Aura ONE cover does fold for a stand, and it does work, but I haven't actually read more than a page while it's been standing (but I have read lots when I've been standing).
Yup, the cover does work as a stand, but have never even read as much as a page using it that way. Only ever tried it the once like that, and that was more than sufficient to let me know that reading that way was not for me.

Now, if it were much bigger, had note taking capabilities and could be paired with a bluetooth keyboard, kind of like my Max... that would be another story.

On a side note, I reallly wish that they would bring back the sketch pad/note pad beta feature. It could prove really useful on an 8" screen. Making some jot notes or a quick sketch on a 6" screen just wasn't sufficient. On an 8" screen, it suddenly seems viable.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #12
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
I use a bookgem as a stand for my KA1 it works quite nicely in at least three different ways.

If anyone is interested check them out here http://www.bookgem.com
Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #13
bn_el
Enthusiast
bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.bn_el is far more humble than you.

Device: T62c, Kobo Aura 1
Quote:
I'm using this cover - https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Eleg...Bkwmobile&th=1

Only (slight) problem is that when opened and hand held, if the front cover is folded behind touching the back cover - it will put the KA1 to sleep. Have to keep a slight gap.
bn_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
RJAJ
RJAJ began at the beginning.

Device: KA1
I would have preferred if someone made a back case that extends with extra bezel on the right like the Kindle Oasis. The KA1 is a big ereader and would benefit with some extra handling space.
RJAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
Mr Meanor
He's a role-model.
Mr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enoughMr Meanor will become famous soon enough

Device: PPC1, KA One, Cybook G3, Kindle PW, PRS-950, PRS-505, Tab 2, Mac5K
Quote:
This!

With my case I hold it just like an normal book, thumb in the middle and weight isn't an issue.
https://www.amazon.ca/Compact-MoKo-P.../dp/B01MSX7DQJ
Mr Meanor is offline   Reply With Quote