Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 06:09 AM   #61
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I have a program that randomly generates an ISBN, does a search on it and repeats until it finds one actually available then I buy that one.

Takes all that nasty guesswork out of choosing.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I have a program that randomly generates an ISBN, does a search on it and repeats until it finds one actually available then I buy that one.

Takes all that nasty guesswork out of choosing.
But that ignores all the ebooks that don't have an ISBN! The vast majority of independents don't bother with ISBN!

Since I only buy from Amazon, my program constructs URLs with random ASINs until it finds an ebook that I haven't yet read.

Yes, Amazon's my gatekeeper, but I'm OK with that.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #63
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I tend to go on a theme. Right now I'm reading authors who feature in Ghost Train to the Eastern Star, by Paul Theroux. That should keep me going for a while. It's a sort of recommendation, but from someone i have never met. I really don't care if a book is self pub. If i like it i will look for other books by the same person. If not, then i probably won't finish it. My time matters.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Latepaul and pdurrant, are you using true random number generators? 'Cuz its a well known fact that the pseudorandom functions in most high level libraries are heavily biased toward chick-lit and self-help.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Latepaul and pdurrant, are you using true random number generators? 'Cuz its a well known fact that the pseudorandom functions in most high level libraries are heavily biased toward chick-lit and self-help.
I use only the finest grade true random numbers, from random.org.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #66
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I use only the finest grade true random numbers, from random.org.

Accept no substitutes!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #67
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky Rose View Post
I think the only solution is to let the market pick out the good stuff with purchases to encourage the good writers, point out the bad stuff with one-stars and complaints, and let us all fend for ourselves.
That doesn't work anymore. I know, I used to do that. But now people buy paid reviews to make their books look like many people are reading and enjoying them.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #68
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Amazon is not a curator. They are a distributor.
Not in the sense that you seem to mean it. If they simply distributed products to other stores then okay. But NO, that's not what happens. They are their own store, selling directly to us. Part of having a store front is curation. And when a store is selling everything in print and many things out of print, they have to make important decisions about what they display and how they display it.

And Amazon DOES curate content, and they are expected to. Just as Itunes does, just as Google does, just as Kobo does.

Quote:
Oh and your complaint is the exact opposite of what I have heard about Amazon. I heard they only promote best sellers.
That is a strange comment. What you have HEARD? Why don't you look for yourself? How hard is that? Just open another tab and investigate for yourself. I want to read "that's not what I've SEEN" not something that sounds like whispered rumors about a site that you can directly navigate whenever you wish. Have you never been to amazon.com? You own three kindles!
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #69
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
That doesn't work anymore. I know, I used to do that. But now people buy paid reviews to make their books look like many people are reading and enjoying them.
That is not new either. They are just supposed to be under editorial reviews.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #70
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I try to use sustainably sourced, free-range random numbers, but sometimes they're not available. When that happens I just use 7 or 9. Seems to work.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #71
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Are you talking about physical or online stores? Either way, you're not remotely choosing at random, because there's no such thing. Physical stores carry a minuscule minority of all the books available, and e-stores have algorithms that will present certain books to your notice, and not others. All book browsing is gate-kept and curated through one method or another.
Online. Yes, of course there is already some filtering in place, and I only browse in my favorite genres anyway. I meant that when I start browsing, I don't have any pre-formed opinions about the books I browse (from recommendations or reviews). I look at the books and if something catches my eye, I'll look at it more closely, read the sample, reviews etc. Perhaps random isn't the right word for it, as you and others have pointed out, there really is no such thing.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-20-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #72
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I think you can usually tell the paid reviews from the real ones. Some reviews just sound like sound bites from someone who skipped the book. Others sound like someone actually read it.

I think if you read enough reviews, the fake ones will pop out at you.

Also, don't discount the 1 star reviews. I've found some good books based on 1 stars, because what one person hates, I love.

The fake reviewers also tend to be all over the place, but a person who's really into a genre will have a lot of reviews in that genre. So that helps to point them out as well.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Either I've never been fooled by a paid review, or the fact that it was a paid review had no bearing on its accuracy. But then I don't really look at book reviews on Amazon. I buy from Amazon; I don't typically shop there. No reason for me to. I've got much better ways of exposing myself to new titles/authors I might enjoy.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #74
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I mostly read the 1-2-3 star reviews, rarely 4-star, never 5-star. The 5-star reviews are pretty pointless for me. I'm more interested why someone didn't like the book.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #75
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm glad that so many of you have so much extra time to wade through all the garbage, read samples, and consider dozens of reviews to evaluate their veracity before you plunk down a couple of bucks for a self-pubbed book.

I'd rather be reading. I'd rather pay a premium for a traditionally published book that I know meets minimum standards of competence and that offers me editorial reviews from legitimate sources.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote