Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
KA1 crashes PC

I am experiencing a strange behaviour from my KA1. When I connect it to my PC, it starts charging as usual, but the access from the PC is usually troubled.
I can browse through the folders without any problem, but if I launch Calibre, for instance, usually the PC crashes. If I use the Kobo App, it says that it should be initialised.
I have initialised it a couple of times, and it goes without a hitch when I do so, just to start over again as soon as I disconnect and reconnect it again.
Anybody can offer an advice ?
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A crash with Windows 10 has been discussed in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=280049. No real idea why. It seems to be related to USB3 ports but lots of people are using these and not seeing a crash. There is a workaround or two in the thread.

For the Kobo desktop application problem, is that after the PC crash? Or does it happen after a clean setup? The other reports are this was OK.

My usual first suggestions for these sort of problems is try another PC and do a factory reset. If that doesn't solve it, and it is a new device, it suggests that it is a faulty device and I would recommend exchanging it. For an device that has been in use for a while, I don't know what to suggest.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
A crash with Windows 10 has been discussed in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=280049. No real idea why. It seems to be related to USB3 ports but lots of people are using these and not seeing a crash. There is a workaround or two in the thread.

For the Kobo desktop application problem, is that after the PC crash? Or does it happen after a clean setup? The other reports are this was OK.

My usual first suggestions for these sort of problems is try another PC and do a factory reset. If that doesn't solve it, and it is a new device, it suggests that it is a faulty device and I would recommend exchanging it. For an device that has been in use for a while, I don't know what to suggest.
Thanks Davidfor. W.r.t. the Kobo app, it is unrelated to the crash. I connect the KA1 to my PC, open up the Kobo app, and the message that a unit is to be inizialised appears. If I choose to do it, and reload all of my sideloaded ebooks, all is fine until I disconnect the Kobo from the PC. The following day, or the following time I connect to the PC, it is as if I did not do anything, and I get the same messages.

I bought it in November, so warranty is still valid! I'll look at the thread you mention, although I normally use USB2 ports, I am not sure USB3 ports are visible to my Ka1.

Thank you again
Bruno
Old 02-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
I'll look at the thread you mention, although I normally use USB2 ports, I am not sure USB3 ports are visible to my Ka1.
Yes, they are (or at least should be). I use a USB3 port to connect to my KA1 all the time. No problems whatsoever.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Davidfor. W.r.t. the Kobo app, it is unrelated to the crash. I connect the KA1 to my PC, open up the Kobo app, and the message that a unit is to be inizialised appears. If I choose to do it, and reload all of my sideloaded ebooks, all is fine until I disconnect the Kobo from the PC. The following day, or the following time I connect to the PC, it is as if I did not do anything, and I get the same messages.
That's really bad and it makes me think there is a problem on the device causing the database to be corrupted each time. It could be something in the connection to the PC, so if you have another PC to test with, that would be a good idea.

If you want another test, you could get an SQLite management tool and check the database. DB Browser is suitable. Do this before starting the Kobo desktop application and it will show if the database was corrupted since the last connection.
Quote:
I bought it in November, so warranty is still valid! I'll look at the thread you mention, although I normally use USB2 ports, I am not sure USB3 ports are visible to my Ka1.
If this has been happening all the time, you should return it.
Advert
Old 02-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #6
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
That's really bad and it makes me think there is a problem on the device causing the database to be corrupted each time. It could be something in the connection to the PC, so if you have another PC to test with, that would be a good idea.

If you want another test, you could get an SQLite management tool and check the database. DB Browser is suitable. Do this before starting the Kobo desktop application and it will show if the database was corrupted since the last connection.

If this has been happening all the time, you should return it.
Thanks again. I am trying the tool you advise. Anything in particular I should look at ?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks again. I am trying the tool you advise. Anything in particular I should look at ?
You need to run a check on the database. Specifically:

Code:
PRAGMA integrity_check
That will return either "OK" or a list of errors. If there are errors, then it's a sign that something happened to corrupt the database.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #8
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
You need to run a check on the database. Specifically:

Code:
PRAGMA integrity_check
That will return either "OK" or a list of errors. If there are errors, then it's a sign that something happened to corrupt the database.
Thanks again. The check was ok. I connected the KA1 to another PC and the crashes do not happen, so the problem is probably this PC, where (unfortunately) I have my main Calibre library.
On USB3 I have a mixed result. I cannot connect on my PC USB3, maybe because I have it on the back of my PC, a tower, and I use an extension cable, although a good one. My iPAD does not care, the KA1 does. I tried connecting directly to another PC USB3 and there were no problems, so I gather that it must be a very borderline problem.