Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
madworldmilly
madworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Brand New Kobo Touch - Brick :(

Hi everyone
I've had a Kobo touch for around 9 months, no problems.
I went to turn it on a month or two ago and it just wouldn't do anything.
Long story short it wouldn't charge etc and I sent it back to Kobo for a replacement.

I received my brand new replacement kobo touch a couple of days ago, plugged it in to charge..... and NOTHING
They have sent me a new bricked kobo.
I'm so so so frustrated :/

The light at the top flashes green/blue
It wont turn on
It does not seem to be charging-aka no charging battery on screen
I cannot do anything with it.
Neither my laptop not my pc recognize it.

Please help,
I'd be so very grateful.
I don't want to have to pay to send it back to the Netherlands AGAIN
madworldmilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try a reset on it.

First of all hold the power switch over for about 10 to 15 seconds to ensure the device IS turned off.

Then see this from George Talusan @ Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Turn off the device. Turn it back on while holding the HOME button. This will trigger the factory reset. There is no YES/NO prompt - and please don't turn off the unit while it's doing this.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
madworldmilly
madworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to beholdmadworldmilly is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try a reset on it.

First of all hold the power switch over for about 10 to 15 seconds to ensure the device IS turned off.

Then see this from George Talusan @ Kobo
Thanks for the reply,
I had tried this before,
but tried again just to double check.
It doesn't do anything at all I'm afraid

It still has the same 'read on' speech bubble as when I received it
It's not even turned on once!

Also tried pressing the tiny reset button on the back
Nothing
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The read on speech bubble normally means that setup is needed. Are you sure that your USB cable and port on the PC is working correctly?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
madworldmilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The read on speech bubble normally means that setup is needed. Are you sure that your USB cable and port on the PC is working correctly?
100% sure that my usb ports are fine, tried on both my laptop & pc

Although I have no other gadgets to check the cable with, I have tried two different cables and it makes no difference. Unless they are both broken which is unlikely.

Grrrrrrrrrr
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
madworldmilly

just noticed that the top light only flashes green/blue when plugged in via usb
when I unplug it the flashing stops and the light goes of
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Also received a bricked Kobo Touch. My original Touch IR stopped working. Kobo sent me a replacement. Upon inspection I noticed the bottom right inside corner of the frame was lifted off the screen by about 1mm. I thought hmmm strange. Plugged it into the computer at which point I notice the bottom left of the screen had a crack in it about 1cm long. This is fresh out of the box. Looked at the paperwork... it was a refurbished Touch. I have no idea how it passed their QC.

Long story short I sent an email to Kobo support explaining the problem, they sent another refurbished Touch. So far no problems.

So if that one can pass QC what else is getting through that may not be so obvious?
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by madworldmilly View Post
just noticed that the top light only flashes green/blue when plugged in via usb
when I unplug it the flashing stops and the light goes of
Does sound like it bricked, but try leaving it plugged in for a hour (or even better use a phone charger if you have one that fits). It's possible that it's just really low on power and that's why it won't react.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Does sound like it bricked, but try leaving it plugged in for a hour (or even better use a phone charger if you have one that fits). It's possible that it's just really low on power and that's why it won't react.
Agreed. The behaviour you're experiencing sounds like what happened to my Kobo when it was extremely low on power one day. Give it a try--it can't hurt.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Agreed. The behaviour you're experiencing sounds like what happened to my Kobo when it was extremely low on power one day. Give it a try--it can't hurt.
I agree - a nice long charge could make all the difference, especially if you have a phone-charger with the appropriate connector. USB cables are odd things - I have two that will work with some combinations of hardware, but not with others.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch/Aura, Asus Transformer TF300, Samsung Galaxy S3
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but EXACT same situation, and the EXACT same "resolution" and EXACT same symptoms.

It's charging now, with the green light but I am not optimistic.
barney_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rebel View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but EXACT same situation, and the EXACT same "resolution" and EXACT same symptoms.

It's charging now, with the green light but I am not optimistic.
Hi, barney_rebel, and welcome.

I'm not sure we did get to the bottom of this one. Could you post a step-by-step account of what you have tried, please, including how you are charging it (e.g. computer, hub, direct to electrical socket) and what equipment (e.g. USB cable supplied with the Touch or a different one)?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Hi, barney_rebel, and welcome.

I'm not sure we did get to the bottom of this one. Could you post a step-by-step account of what you have tried, please, including how you are charging it (e.g. computer, hub, direct to electrical socket) and what equipment (e.g. USB cable supplied with the Touch or a different one)?

Thanks.
Hello -

Thanks for your help.

As suggested above, I did leave the replacement charging for an hour and the green light became solid and then I get the "Connected and Charging" screen finally and it is detected as a USB device in Windows.

I'll let you know how it goes once the 2 hour charge has finished.

So this is promising!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rebel View Post
Hello -

Thanks for your help.

As suggested above, I did leave the replacement charging for an hour and the green light became solid and then I get the "Connected and Charging" screen finally and it is detected as a USB device in Windows.

I'll let you know how it goes once the 2 hour charge has finished.

So this is promising!
That is looking good! I have a sneaky feeling (with little real-world evidence because it hasn't happened to me) that some of the units are supplied with batteries discharged well below what the firmware likes, and so they need a good charge to get up to the minimum level that will allow boot.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
That is looking good! I have a sneaky feeling (with little real-world evidence because it hasn't happened to me) that some of the units are supplied with batteries discharged well below what the firmware likes, and so they need a good charge to get up to the minimum level that will allow boot.
Alright, looking good. It's syncing with the desktop software. I suspect the OP had this same resolution as well.

There was a sticker on the back of the unit saying "QC passed", and it was an obvious refurb. Screen looked like it was wiped with dirt streaks. Other than that, it looks in decent condition.