Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
markstani
markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Reading in the bath

Has anyone tried to read an e-book in the bath and dropped their device?

Does the Kindle react better to getting submerged than the Nook, for example?

I always read in the bath but since I've had my Kindle I've been too chicken to try it - I've tried positioning myself in a way where I can hold the Kindle over the side, but it's just not the same.

Is this the most overlooked design fault in e-book readers today?

I think we should be told.

Mark Staniforth
author, Fryupdale - FREE at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/22744
markstani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
This was discussed at great length a while ago and quite a few people use their ereader in the bath. Most people put their reader in a zip-lock bag whilst in the bath.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
As long as you don't put any water in the bathtub, reading in the bath is totally safe for your device.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
With a zippy bag, Mark, an ebook device is a lot more bath-friendly than a paperback or a hardback could ever be. I guess, if you're that adicted to reading in the wet, you could even get away with an ebook reader in the shower ... try that with a treebook! Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
markstani
markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

re

Great idea. I'll try it in the shower and get back to you. What about steam rooms?
markstani is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The steam room might be a problem. Most of the readers I've looked at specify operating temperatures as either 5C -- 35C or 0C -- 40C. I wouldn't be surprised if saunas get hotter than that.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I have read in the shower, and a zip bag works well. You might have to wipe steam off the bag occasionally, but it's still better than a tree book.

Why was I reading in the shower? I was letting the massage function of my showerhead work the kinks out of my back.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I would think that the only thing you might want to be careful to do if you have your kindle in a baggie in a cold or hot environment is to make sure you let it come back to room temperature before you take it out of the plastic. I used to keep film in the freezer in plastic bags, and carry my camera out in rainy or cold weather in a plastic bag. You just don't want the condensation to form on anything INSIDE the bag, and if you let everything equalize, it won't. My experience, anyway.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
ebookerz
ebookerz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I have read in the shower, and a zip bag works well. You might have to wipe steam off the bag occasionally, but it's still better than a tree book.

Why was I reading in the shower? I was letting the massage function of my showerhead work the kinks out of my back.

I found that zip bags work wonderfully, too. As I enjoy taking longer baths, like up to an hour and a half, I can say there has never been a problem. If you don't have a zip bag, you can also use a regular transparent plastic bag and a clip.

See this little tutorial:

Using your Amazon Kindle eReader in the bathtub (Google English Translation)

Mit dem Amazon Kindle eReader eBooks kostenlos in der Badewanne lesen (German)
ebookerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I tried the ziploc bag on my Sony, but found it too slippery.

I use my M-edge Leisure case in the bath. It's not waterproof, but it's water resistant, and the grip is much better so the chances against dropping it are much better.

I've read in the tub for decades, and I've never dropped a book in the water, so I'm not too worried. If you're more of a butterfingers, lots of people recommend the aquapac.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I use the Trendy Digital Water Guard bag for the bath, and until M-Edge releases a leisure jacket for the K3, for the pool area as well. The plastic is of a better quality than a ziplock bag and doesn't wrinkle, so I find it's easier to read through.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
About fifty years ago I seriously considered swimming the English Channel from Dover to Calais (I'm Scots, so the saving on a ferry ticket appealed greatly) but I thought I'd get bored on the way. Now that it seems I can take a couple of good ebooks with me in a jiffy bag, all obstacles are removed ... so maybe I'll give it a whirl after all. Slainte. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
About fifty years ago I seriously considered swimming the English Channel from Dover to Calais (I'm Scots, so the saving on a ferry ticket appealed greatly)...

Thanks, Neil. I needed that.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I have a bath almost every night and my reader is always there as naked as I am. I've never considered putting it in a bag
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
No not for me, i would be too afraid of dropping it, i mostly shower in preference to a bath, definately couldn't/wouldn.t try it under the shower.

I do read while i am on the treadmill, makes my walk go quicker ...
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote