Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I got my Kindle Fire HD 2013 on Cyber Monday on Amazon for $50 off it was how I was able to get the 16GB not the 8GB one.
Amazon really needs to quite making 8GB devices. It's a joke!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Agreed. Specially with the Kindle app taking up 1.6GB of space itself.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The 6" would make a great tablet for younger kids. Just enable FreeTime, then set the content and screen time limits.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The 6" would make a great tablet for younger kids. Just enable FreeTime, then set the content and screen time limits.
Did you not see this new one then? It's just for Kids.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Agreed, that was one of the main reasons I didn't upgrade last year, it was hard giving up my 32gb for an hdx that had features that I was just not going to use. They should have 16 and 32, though I still do not understand why only the 32 in the hdx, don't they know how much space audibles take up?? Especially since they are touting their immersive reading so much.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #21
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you not see this new one then? It's just for Kids.
Yeah but isn't the kid-themed one $50 more, what are the differences besides the bezel to justify getting that one instead of a regular with parental controls?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Yeah but isn't the kid-themed one $50 more, what are the differences besides the bezel to justify getting that one instead of a regular with parental controls?
All-new Fire HD tablet—with 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, Kid-Proof Case, and a 2-year worry-free guarantee—up to $95 in savings

That's a big difference and a kid proof case.

Amazon FreeTime Unlimited—a hand-curated subscription of over 5,000 kid-friendly books, movies, TV shows, educational apps, and games.

Built for even the toughest kids—Enjoy the peace of mind with an unprecedented 2-year worry-free guarantee—if they break it, we'll replace it for free. No questions asked

Best-in-class parental controls—Create individual profiles for each of your children. Personalize screen time limits, educational goals, and age-appropriate content

Last edited by Blossom; 09-18-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #23
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
All-new Fire HD tablet—with 1 year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, Kid-Proof Case, and a 2-year worry-free guarantee—up to $95 in savings

That's a big difference and a kid proof case.
Yeah that would do it!! I have already sent an email to my sister for her to get one for her grand-daughter since she always complaining about her dropping her ipad.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yeah that would do it!! I have already sent an email to my sister for her to get one for her grand-daughter since she always complaining about her dropping her ipad.
I added more to the post. It's a really great gift for kids because it has more than just regular parental control.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #25
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
At least they make a 16GB option, and it is only $20 more. I really like the 7" Tab 4, from Samsung, but they only offer it in 8GB and then the OS takes up so damn much space. There is less than 5GB available to the user.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #26
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Why does the 6" have the better ppi then the 7" which is more expensive but the 6" has mono speakers and 7" stereo speakers.
Same screen in different sizes, so ppi becomes more dense on the smaller screen. Samsung does this all the time on their tablets, same screen with same resolution in different sizes, so the smaller tablets actually have much better pixel density.

Quote:
But this is the first year where I actually do not want the ereader, I know most people are happy about that touch stuff on the bezel, but the space on pw is already limited for me to hold it without turning pages to lose space on the bezel now too.
WOW, I'm totally with you on this one. Bezel is a huge thing for me. While the entire world has gone insane demanding as little bezel as possible I'm always thinking, "Well how am I going to hold the damn thing without ample bezel?" People seem to think the front of our devices these days (tablets, readers, phones) should basically be 100% screen with as little bezel as possible which is frankly nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I'm seriously thinking of pre-ordering the Fire 6". Right now I don't have any Amazon compatible tablets so I can't use the apps I bought from the Amazon appstore, and the 6 sounds perfect as a backup tablet.

Besides, if the parental controls work properly, I can let my daughter use it, too.
Makes a lot of sense. The price is crazy low and for a backup/loaner for family, it would probably be great.

Quote:
Agreed. The people who can get by on 8GB on a multimedia tablet is shrinking by the day.

Last edited by Anthem; 09-18-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Same screen in different sizes, so ppi becomes more dense on the smaller screen. Samsung does this all the time on their tablets, same screen with same resolution in different sizes, so the smaller tablets actually have much better pixel density.
That makes sense! I'd go with 6 if the speakers weren't mono as I want one for music more than anything.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well the Fire I listed on Amazon already sold, so I pre-ordered the 6" tablet right away. If I hate it (the size) I'll return it. No way to know til I have it in hand.

Ooops. Had to cancel and re-order. Why settle for black? I got the blue.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-18-2014 at 01:07 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
The family libraries would be a main reason to get it so I could use Prime Music but do I need another tablet? I hardly use the one I bought last year.
Same here, I'm trying to find uses for the tablets I already have. I do think the hardware and prices are good on these Fire tablets.
Though I have 2 tablets with 8 gig storage, that really limits their use. I may eventually upgrade due to that fact alone.

Last edited by conan50; 09-18-2014 at 01:18 PM.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Where does it say mono? Under tech specs it says for the HD6

3.5 mm stereo jack and integrated speaker with Dolby Digital Plus audio engine

My girls are going to love the cameras!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote