Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Sigil Spell Checker Coming~ soon?

Sigal has made my day fixing ePubs that I have downloaded but which are in a bad state. However, how I wish it had a spell checker option.

For some reason I thought I read version 4.2 would have the spell checker feature.

I am guilty for trying KompoZer, but even though it has a spell checker it leaves my text corrupted.

I appreciate the work. Between it and Calibre, there are no better ePub applications out there.
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
You know, folks, you can download and use Microspell.

Microspell

Or, you could use a simple html editor like NoteTab Pro, which has a spell-checker built in. You can explode the epub, drag and drop all the xhtml files onto NT, and spell-check them ALL AT ONCE, if Microspell isn't manageable.

HTH
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
For some reason I thought I read version 4.2 would have the spell checker feature.
Not before 0.5.0.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Thank you for the Clarification. @HITCH. Thanks as well for your suggestions. I tried editing the exploded files in Notepad++ and found the HTML code got in the way. This morning I downloaded your suggestion of Notetab Pro {trial} and for the life of me I cannot find the spell checker. It's not even listed in it's help files. Just mentions the dictionaries. I've been under every tab, nook and cranny.

I see automode, but in my case the text is already generated. I'll look at Microspell in a few minutes.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Themus
Zealot

@HITCH: I just tried Microspell. Unfortunately, it has the same text problem as KompoZer's spell checker. The exploded text from Calibre opens, but it corrupts the text. Here is just one example of one sentence.

"ornaments.†“Oh, no!†says the other, interrupting him, “you are"

Notepad++ with Aspel doesn't have this problem, but it wants to check the HTML codes. Much too time intensive.
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That looks like a codepage issue. Try to do it in UTF.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@HITCH: I just tried Microspell. Unfortunately, it has the same text problem as KompoZer's spell checker. The exploded text from Calibre opens, but it corrupts the text. Here is just one example of one sentence.

"ornaments.†“Oh, no!†says the other, interrupting him, “you are"

Notepad++ with Aspel doesn't have this problem, but it wants to check the HTML codes. Much too time intensive.
Those are Open curly quotes. You have a codepage mis-match
(and a mixup in quote styles.to wit: straight closing quotes)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Themus
Zealot

I am not digesting a 100% what you are suggesting is the fix. The sentence above, for example, looking correctly is:

“The building was built in such a manner, and has such and such stories and ornaments.” “Oh, no!” says the other, interrupting him, “you are altogether mistaken;

Now in Calibre under the exploded view those quote marks are curled as you suggest. Having worked in printing for 15 years, those were the proper quote mark style to use versus using what in printing we called "inch" marks.

In the above sentence and ePub, those where native to the original. I did not alter them from inch quotes to curly quotes.

Only when I make a change in KompoZer or Microspell and save it does the textual "garbage' get introduced.

I appreciate the feedback and obviously the experts recognize the problem; I just need to understand the solution better. With your patience and help, I can. :-)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I am not digesting a 100% what you are suggesting is the fix. The sentence above, for example, looking correctly is:

“The building was built in such a manner, and has such and such stories and ornaments.” “Oh, no!” says the other, interrupting him, “you are altogether mistaken;

Now in Calibre under the exploded view those quote marks are curled as you suggest. Having worked in printing for 15 years, those were the proper quote mark style to use versus using what in printing we called "inch" marks.

In the above sentence and ePub, those where native to the original. I did not alter them from inch quotes to curly quotes.

Only when I make a change in KompoZer or Microspell and save it does the textual "garbage' get introduced.

I appreciate the feedback and obviously the experts recognize the problem; I just need to understand the solution better. With your patience and help, I can. :-)
don't use KDE (or Komposer)
Each document has(/should have) a language/character set declared.
In Gedit if the language can't be determined, you can set it from Tools on the Menu
FWIW I use Open Office to spell check. One great feature is selectable an multiple dictionaries (very usefull when checking SF/Fantasy with unique words that you do not wan creeping into you standard dictionary )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for the Clarification. @HITCH. Thanks as well for your suggestions. I tried editing the exploded files in Notepad++ and found the HTML code got in the way. This morning I downloaded your suggestion of Notetab Pro {trial} and for the life of me I cannot find the spell checker. It's not even listed in it's help files. Just mentions the dictionaries. I've been under every tab, nook and cranny.

I see automode, but in my case the text is already generated. I'll look at Microspell in a few minutes.
As others here have already told you, you have a coding mismatch; somehow, somewhere, you got the coding for curly quotes from something else (looks like...Word's Win-1252, maybe? Maybe not?). FIRST, go through with regex (search and replace) and replace those suckers with named entities, i.e.,
Code:
“ and ”
as needed.

THEN use NoteTabPro's Spellchecker (Tools->Spelling)...I am not sure it's in the freebie version. NTP is el cheapo to buy, though, and is, IMHO, the best html editor on the market for the power-user. And for non-programmatic drones like me, BTW.

I hope that helps; the actual coding mismatch is better left to those smarter than I.

Hitch
Old 09-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Themus
Zealot

Thanks again for the assistance. On NoteTabPro's trial version {which is supposed to included all the goodies} there is no spell checker under tools.

Under Tools, is listed "Clipbook," "Clipbook Properties," "Expand Text," "Auto-Replace Mode," "Quick List," "Quick List Properties," "Open File at Cursor," "Launch Document," "Tidy HTML Code," "View in Browser," "Other Browser," "Quick Link," "Quick Open Links," "Auto Scroll," "Calculate Expression," and "Text Statistics."
Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks again for the assistance. On NoteTabPro's trial version {which is supposed to included all the goodies} there is no spell checker under tools.

Under Tools, is listed "Clipbook," "Clipbook Properties," "Expand Text," "Auto-Replace Mode," "Quick List," "Quick List Properties," "Open File at Cursor," "Launch Document," "Tidy HTML Code," "View in Browser," "Other Browser," "Quick Link," "Quick Open Links," "Auto Scroll," "Calculate Expression," and "Text Statistics."
Well...don't know what to say about that, you might want to contact Fookes about it, but if you regex any odd code-bits into named entities, as mentioned above, you should be able to use the text editor you did try (what was it, notepad?) and get that to work. OR try Microspell, which is free.

HTH
Hitch
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Themus
Zealot

The spell checker is not available in the trial version, nor in the freeware version of NoteTab, sorry. Only in the full version of NoteTab Pro and NoteTab Standard.

--
Regards,

Fookes Software Help Desk
Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Themus
Zealot

I found NotePad++ works. I just have to tab past the HTML code before I begin the actual spell check. The text stays "uncorrupted."
Old 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
spellchecker not worth having, for Novels in my experience, unless someone makes one with an option to ignore all proper (capitalised) names, place names etc. even then, many books contain deliberate misspelling to imitate regional dialects, or ( sci-fi) have lots of made up words.

I used to use microspell, but after a while I switched to highlighting annoyances on my e-reader (via notes feature on Sony) as I read the books then patch the epub retrospectively.

that route also prevents spoiling the plot, which can happen if you spell check & correct books in advance of reading them.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote