Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoRamius View Post
I understand some people don't want others know what they're reading. But I don't really see why sharing its reading has to do with 'impress or scandalize other'.

I'm curious to know how you used to read before ereaders exist ... Did you stick a black sheet of paper on the cover of your books to avoir scandalizing poeple ? :-) Or just maybe at that time people were less scandalized, or just more tolerant ...

I'm quite amazed this suggestion led to remarks, as if the idea was coming from an alien. The possibility to display the current book cover as sleep screen on the Kindle is known to be one of the top requests from kindle users (https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...requests_that/) , and it's the main reason (and probably often the only reason) why some people jailbreak them ...

@HarryT anyway, you're right, the idea of DIY is not a bad one, thanks !
I did once have a woman tape a piece of paper over a book. She didn't like the cover.
There are many books that in my opinion have very racy covers.

Since you do not live in the Southern US, let me explain. On books in public, there are many strangers that wouldn't want a discussion but would gladly tell you what kind of person they think you are and where you will wind up if you keep reading books like that.
*This may happen in other places too, but I can't say for sure.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I did once have a woman tape a piece of paper over a book. She didn't like the cover.
There are many books that in my opinion have very racy covers.

Since you do not live in the Southern US, let me explain. On books in public, there are many strangers that wouldn't want a discussion but would gladly tell you what kind of person they think you are and where you will wind up if you keep reading books like that.
*This may happen in other places too, but I can't say for sure.
I would tell that person were to go and what to do and I would not mind. But then, I'd never ever live in the southern US.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #33
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
For instance, someone could leave their device lying on the coffee table and enjoy seeing the cover of the book as they pass by or when they're sitting nearby. Maybe for you there is only a split second where you'd see the screen as the device wakes or that it just doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean it must be true for everyone.

I will echo MarkoRamius regarding many of the posts in this thread and ask why would anyone feel the need to argue with MarkoRamius about what he'd like, and try to tell him he shouldn't want that? To each their own.
I was simply stating my opinion, just like everyone else in the thread. To each their own indeed.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would tell that person were to go and what to do and I would not mind. But then, I'd never ever live in the southern US.
Easier just to think it. You really don't want to engage that type.
Now we do have fabulous weather most of the time and the OP could easily show off his kindle. Though I can't say much for our public transportation and all the trains that come through here are freight trains.
Though I doubt the OP would find many readers.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #35
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But then, I'd never ever live in the southern US.
I just heard a large cheer outside --
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #36
MarkoRamius
MarkoRamius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o 2nd Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I say again, you don't read romance. Before ebooks, forums were full of posts by people saying that they like romance but the cover were shameful, or that they like to read romance but they didn't want others to know because of the mockery. I know a lot of people who covered they books or bought cover for them. So please, let me laugh a lot about people less scandalized or more tolerant before.
Hi Terisa, I'm very sorry if you felt offensend. Once again, my purpose here is definitely not to enforce anyone to anything. I did not initially intend to debate about scandal or tolerance, about "it was better before" ... Just wanted to submit a very basic and insignificant idea about plastic cases for ereaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I’d be very curious if that is correct. It may be a common request from Kindle users, but I doubt it is the main reason that users jailbreak theirs. Most people don’t stare at their sleeping device, so whatever is displayed on the sleepscreen is only visible for a split second as the device wakes up. So even with a clear cover, it just doesn’t matter what is one the sleep screen.
Well, at least for me, it was the only reason, and from what I've read I'm not the only one. I totally agree with what you wrote : The sleepscreen is only visible for a split second ... And that's the exact reason why I started this thread. That's exactly what I wanted to talk about.

Anyway, many thanks to all of you. I didn't imagine this little thread was going to lead to such a discussion, but I find it really interesting.

Thank you Cinisajoy for your explanation about reading publicly in southern US ... It reminds me a recent reading : The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy ... Not the same time, not the same place (South Carolina while you're from Texas - but, hey, seen from Europe it's almost the same ), but questions of tolerance are raised.

Have all a very pleasant morning/day/evening/night/whatever and good readings !
MarkoRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I just heard a large cheer outside --
I heard it too.

*Note to anyone reading this: Larla and I are roughly 400 miles apart.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Hi Terisa, I'm very sorry if you felt offensend. Once again, my purpose here is definitely not to enforce anyone to anything. I did not initially intend to debate about scandal or tolerance, about "it was better before" ... Just wanted to submit a very basic and insignificant idea about plastic cases for ereaders

Well, at least for me, it was the only reason, and from what I've read I'm not the only one. I totally agree with what you wrote : The sleepscreen is only visible for a split second ... And that's the exact reason why I started this thread. That's exactly what I wanted to talk about.

Anyway, many thanks to all of you. I didn't imagine this little thread was going to lead to such a discussion, but I find it really interesting.

Thank you Cinisajoy for your explanation about reading publicly in southern US ... It reminds me a recent reading : The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy ... Not the same time, not the same place (South Carolina while you're from Texas - but, hey, seen from Europe it's almost the same ), but questions of tolerance are raised.

Have all a very pleasant morning/day/evening/night/whatever and good readings !
As far as the tolerance goes, yep pretty much the same. South Carolina and Texas are both southern states.
Now the funny part of your statement is that not even Texas is all the same. Geography and people wise.
Oh and I did want to correct one thing I said. Even most non-readers in the south have one book in their house. Most common was written/translated by King James.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #39
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I don't feel any offense, sorry if it has been written like that. But, when you say that you don't understand why somebody doesn't want to show the cover, I've said twice the same because racy covers (as cinisajoy has said) or felt like that, showing them or not, showing to your coworkers or neighbors you read romance... was a very sensitive topic aside of language or country (I've read it at Spanish forums, American forums...) One of the most repeated phrases when ebooks were popular was: "Nobody will know what I'm reading"

Anyway, as I told before, I'm with you in that idea I've always been the "rara avis" with my readings
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I understand some people don't want others know what they're reading. But I don't really see why sharing its reading has to do with 'impress or scandalize other'.

I'm curious to know how you used to read before ereaders exist ... Did you stick a black sheet of paper on the cover of your books to avoir scandalizing poeple ? :-) Or just maybe at that time people were less scandalized, or just more tolerant ...

I'm quite amazed this suggestion led to remarks, as if the idea was coming from an alien. The possibility to display the current book cover as sleep screen on the Kindle is known to be one of the top requests from kindle users (https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...requests_that/) , and it's the main reason (and probably often the only reason) why some people jailbreak them ...

@HarryT anyway, you're right, the idea of DIY is not a bad one, thanks !
You must not live in the Southern US.
I read what I like and let others do likewise. We have some very conservative people that do judge and some will get in your face about.
I remember attending a Blue Grass Festival in 1989. One band started playing Dixie. Half of the audience stood up and took off their hats. Some of them then started haranguing those of us still sitting down. Emotions run deep in the Deep South.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #41
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Now the funny part of your statement is that not even Texas is all the same. Geography and people wise..
You're right, there's Austin and then there's the rest.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #42
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You must not live in the Southern US.
I read what I like and let others do likewise. We have some very conservative people that do judge and some will get in your face about.
I remember attending a Blue Grass Festival in 1989. One band started playing Dixie. Half of the audience stood up and took off their hats. Some of them then started haranguing those of us still sitting down. Emotions run deep in the Deep South.
Apache
Midland Lee Rebels. Enough said.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Now we do have fabulous weather most of the time...
As someone who moved from Long Beach, California to Houston I can say no, the South does not have fabulous weather most of the time (unless hanging out in a laundry room while drying blankets is your idea of fabulous weather).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I think you don't read a lot of romance novels
I do remember in the early days of the Kindle when e-books were the Next Big Thing reading that romance novels had unexpectedly taken off now that people were able to easily hide the covers of their books
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
As someone who moved from Long Beach, California to Houston I can say no, the South does not have fabulous weather most of the time (unless hanging out in a laundry room while drying blankets is your idea of fabulous weather).
Your only problem is you moved to the wrong part of the state.

*Glad you didn't float off.