Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Books read and rated by my GR friends are by far the best source of recommendations, but my front page at GR is now so crowded with extraneous matter that I have to dig for them and I mostly don’t. I’m doing this for the giggles, but I’m not expecting much, but more power to them if they pull it off.

You’ve mentioned one of my GR pet peeves, though, and it’s all on the members. The ridiculous length of people’s TBR lists makes comparisons useless and it also means I don’t care to see their feed. I don’t get it, myself. What’s the point of a TBR with thousands and thousands of books? I’ve got one friend who’s over 70 with some 7,000 books on her want-to-read list.

I use GR for my own purposes and I try to limit the useful information I provide, i.e., I don’t link my Amazon account. It’s not as if they use my data to make reasonable recommendations; it’s all marketing.
My biggest peeve with GR is that they allow people to comment and rate books before they are released even if you've not read a review copy or ARC. So you get ratings that are useless and will be useless for some time. So fora new book, using GR to check how others who have read it liked it is worthless as those bogus ratings are still there. This could be somewhat fixed by making new books of a certain time have to have the line in the review that the person has read it.

"I have read this book" and if it turns out they then go on to give their blather (like they do before it's released), report it so the review/rating can be deleted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did try LibraryThing. But when I reported a rather blatant error, it was ignored and not fixed. So I left for Goodreads.
I'm curious: what was the error?

I far prefer LibraryThing to GoodReads. I used to be a regular user there that I sort of drifted away from when I moved to ebooks.

Quote:
My biggest peeve with GR is that they allow people to comment and rate books before they are released even if you've not read a review copy or ARC.
I don't like reviews on GoodReads loaded up with GIFs. If I see a couple of those on a book, I assume the book likely isn't for me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I don't like reviews on GoodReads loaded up with GIFs. If I see a couple of those on a book, I assume the book likely isn't for me.
I must be reading the wrong sort of books. I’ve never seen a GIF-laden review.

My main complaint about GR is that there have been very few improvements over the years. But I’m lazy, and am not prepared to abandon it and the associated integration with Kindle platform (accounting for 95% of my reading).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
<snip>

Also Amazon refuses to remove listings for totally withdrawn novels. It's reasonable that they should keep listings for merely out-of-print novels.
I'm not sure why you think they don't remove listings for withdrawn books--this is an example of a book that used to be available (I own it) but was taken down by the author:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UI6UI4/
Here's another:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N6W3CI6/

I'm sure that there are many more.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You are reading the right sorts of books. I was going to link to one, but since I take those as a warning, I can't find a good example. There are a few on Twilight and Children of Blood and Bone though.

I may be a snob, but I think GoodReads attracts a dumber crowd than LibraryThing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm not sure why you think they don't remove listings for withdrawn books--this is an example of a book that used to be available (I own it) but was taken down by the author:
Here's another:

Shari
I don't see the listings for those books. I get the Sorry page meaning the link isn't working.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I don't see the listings for those books. I get the Sorry page meaning the link isn't working.
I’m guessing that only customers who bought the book can still see the listing. At least it would be reasonable to hide it if it cannot actually be purchased.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

My main complaint about GR is that there have been very few improvements over the years. But I’m lazy, and am not prepared to abandon it and the associated integration with Kindle platform (accounting for 95% of my reading).
Companies only put money into development when they have to. I suspect that Amazon's approach to GR is the same as their approach to their ebook store, why put significant effort into improving it when there is no real competition?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Here's another:

Shari
Obviously they are inconsistent. Or perhaps because the ebook exists but not paper?
Amazon specifically told us they would not remove listings.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Obviously they are inconsistent. Or perhaps because the ebook exists but not paper?
But it makes sense for owners to see the listing and the rest of us not seeing the listings.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #26
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's exactly my point. Quoth made a statement that Amazon refuses to remove listings for books that have been withdrawn. These links show that this is not actually true. There used to be listings for these books, but there aren't any longer, because the author removed the books from sale.

Shari
Old 09-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #27
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
If there were ever paper books for sale, then they can be sold second hand, making them no different from books that are no longer in print. In your post discussing this, you said "It's reasonable that they should keep listings for merely out-of-print novels."

If there were only digital versions sold, then Amazon can remove the listing, as those books can not be sold second hand.

Shari
Old 09-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #28
shalym
Wizard

Here's another example of a book that I own in ebook form, where the book was pulled from Amazon and the paper format is no longer in print. Notice that there is no listing for the ebook, but they still list the paperback because it is still available to buy second hand from other sellers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1937041115/

Shari
Old 09-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Here's another example of a book that I own in ebook form, where the book was pulled from Amazon and the paper format is no longer in print. Notice that there is no listing for the ebook, but they still list the paperback because it is still available to buy second hand from other sellers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1937041115/

Shari
And there is no way that book is worth $74.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
And there is no way that book is worth $74.
I don't think it is, either, but that's really not the point, is it?

Shari

Tags
algorithms, books, recommendations, social media