Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Has anyone else noticed that it's harder to read Books at night because of brightness

I noticed you can dim the brightness more on Kindle app and Moon Reader compared to the minimum brightness on Books.

Anyone else find minimum brightness on Books not dim enough?

I think this happens because there is not a separate light control function on the app, but it rather uses the same brightness as the rest of the iPhone, but iPhone's minimum brightness doesn't go dark enough especially because you can't download a 3rd party bluelight blocker app.
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Get a front lit e-ink reader such as a Kindle or Kobo. They are much easier on the eyes...I can easily read for hours in a dark room on my Kindles. And they are easily used outside in bright sun.

I can only read 15 minutes or so on my back-lit devices in a dark room, even using Night Shift and lowering the screen light.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
You can go into the iPhone/iPad Settings-->Display & Brightness and try one or more of these options:
  • selecting Dark Mode
  • turning on True Tone
  • turning on Night Shift

Personally I’ve never been a fan of the Books app. Apple begrudgingly included it, but it is obvious they don’t give a bleep about it or about their book store. Therefore it is a bare bones app with hardly any viewing options.

I have no issue reading for hours on my iPad mini 5 using the Kindle app, but I never read in a totally dark room at night. I always leave a very dim light on. I also have a Kindle Oasis 3rd gen., but I prefer to use the iPad mini 5 most of the time.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would use Night theme (white text on black).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah, I second the suggestion for a night theme. It cuts down on the brightness a lot.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
White text on black on a backlit tablet is horrible for me. Even with the screen brightness turned way down, it's like little shards of light coming at my eyeballs in a dark room.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #7
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would use Night theme (white text on black).
It was still too bright even with the Night theme. I noticed that reading on an OLED Android phone with bluelight blocker turned on made it readable.
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
White text on black on a backlit tablet is horrible for me. Even with the screen brightness turned way down, it's like little shards of light coming at my eyeballs in a dark room.
I totally agree, white lettering on black background is hard on my eyes and it causes the “mini blinds” effect when I look at something other than the display screen. I prefer using a medium-dark grey with light grey lettering like I used with my personal website. Much easier on my old eyes.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-08-2020 at 11:35 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
For night reading I go with a very dark green background and dark yellow text. Comfort comes from getting the contrast down as well as the light level. With experimentation, you should find your own sweet spot combination.

But yes....black on a white background...even at the lowest light level is not comfortable for me reading in a dark room.
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:37 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Settings > Accessibility > Display > Reduce White Point

I’ve got a shortcut for Accessibility in the Control Center so I can easily enable it at night. Better than app-specific controls since it’s universal and switching between your ereader app of choice to, say, Safari won’t suddenly blind you.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #11
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
I used to use yellow sunglasses when reading in a dark(-er) room on iPad1 5-6 years ago, at the same time using ultra matte screen protector, the brightness at minimum and f.lux app for adjusting the the lighting for night & day reading.

So, maybe using some blue-light blocking glasses could be a viable idea for some readers.

Last edited by Marinolino; 09-10-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
I used to use yellow sunglasses when reading in the dark(-er) room on iPad1 5-6 years ago, at the same time using ultra matte screen protector, the brightness at minimum and f.lux app for adjusting the the lighting for night & day reading.

So, maybe using some blue-light blocking glasses could be a viable idea for some readers.
Night Shift pretty much takes care of blue light.

As for brightness, I guess not many are aware of the Reduce White Point accessibility option. Works similar to extra dimming options in reading apps reducing contrast but it works system-wide.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2scre View Post
I noticed you can dim the brightness more on Kindle app and Moon Reader compared to the minimum brightness on Books.

Anyone else find minimum brightness on Books not dim enough?

I think this happens because there is not a separate light control function on the app, but it rather uses the same brightness as the rest of the iPhone, but iPhone's minimum brightness doesn't go dark enough especially because you can't download a 3rd party bluelight blocker app.
I have no idea what device you are using, but it's not an iPhone or iPad as there is no Moon Reader except for an astrology app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea what device you are using, but it's not an iPhone or iPad as there is no Moon Reader except for an astrology app.
It is possible to own both Android and iOS devices...
Old 09-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Settings > Accessibility > Display > Reduce White Point

I’ve got a shortcut for Accessibility in the Control Center so I can easily enable it at night. Better than app-specific controls since it’s universal and switching between your ereader app of choice to, say, Safari won’t suddenly blind you.
Yes, that can help with white text on black background being too bright, too (but it’s not my issue). I do very little reading in completely dark rooms. Whatever the screen, reading in completely dark rooms is not optimal.

Firefox has Dark mode that works very well for web browsing.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-10-2020 at 03:26 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote