Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast
Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Adobe Digital Editions and PNGs

Does anyone know a way to correctly display transparencies in ADE?
My PNGs and GIFs end up looking like the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sin título.png
Views:	194
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	181717  
Land_Outcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not the answer you're looking for: Isn't the page's background white with ADE? If that's so then why not get rid of the alpha channel and use a white background with your PNG or GIF?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast
Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!Land_Outcast rocks like Gibraltar!

Just found this:
Quote:
The (at least) desktop version of ADE will not display PNGs correctly that have a bit depth less than 8. They instead look very strange, like a linescreen has been applied to them.
Source 1

Also this:
Quote:
reduced-color png brings us back to square one ---- the ADE engine in some devices can not properly render 2-bit (2-colors) or 4-bit (16 colors).

So it looks like being stuck with either 8-bit 256-color png with its larger file-size, or with crushed jpegs in 256-greyscale, smaller files but compression artifacts.

But the 256->16->256 png makes a pretty small file, so probably would be the way to go with images with low color count.
Source 2

But my PNGs are already 8-bit, so I don't quite get what is happening.

Usually the disappearing pixels are on an extreme of the dynamic range (either the brightest or the darkest), but sometimes it is not the case. I observed, though, that low-contrast PNGs almost don't suffer this, so I'll see if reducing the color range solves anything.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Land_Outcast
Enthusiast

Yep, that solved it.
Mid or low contrast PNGs work just ok in ADE.

Tags
ade, adobe digital editions, gif, png, transparency