Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-18-2020, 03:30 AM   #1
Taykee
Taykee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question error communicating with device

Hi,

I have a new Macbook Air 2020 I have dowloaded Calibre to it and when i plug my kindle in to my USB-C to download books I get the above error. I have been on to apple they tell me its an issue with Calibre. I have shut down both devices and tried a different cable also uninstalled and re installed Calibre. This works fine on my old MAC i just can't understand what is happening. I am not very computer literate but I'm sure i have followed the correct process. Will I never be able to download my books from my new MAC. Any help appreciated.
Taykee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:59 AM   #2
Taykee

error communicating with Device

This is the error i receive from Calibre in case this is need to help me

calibre, version 4.22.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 473, in _get_device_information
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 163, in get_device_information
IOError: Failed to access files in the main memory of your device. You should contact the device manufacturer for support. Common fixes are: try a different USB cable/USB port on your computer. If you device has a "Reset to factory defaults" type of setting somewhere, use it. Underlying error: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: u'/Volumes/Kindle/driveinfo.calibre'
Advert
Old 08-18-2020, 04:22 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Read the second point here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
Taykee

error communicating with Device

Oh you are a miracle worker, it worked and I am back to downloading my books to my Kindle. Can't thank you enough
Old 07-12-2021, 11:36 PM   #5
Penzoil3
Penzoil3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 8
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to (u'Internal storage',

I found that I got this error when I had an SD card installed in my Kindle. There was a driveinfo.calibre file on the SD card, but Calibre couldn't write to it. Removing the
SD card solved all my problems.
Penzoil3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert