Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
angharad09
Enthusiast
angharad09 began at the beginning.

Device: none
MIME type for Nook?

I've been checking my .epub in various e-reader apps (on an Android phone, if that makes a difference). I can call it up in most apps I've tried, but for the Nook app I get an error message that begins "unsupported MIME type".

The mimetype file currently reads "application/epub+zip".

I would like this .epub to be easily accessible by someone whose primary e-reader is a Nook. I'm not trying to sell it through Nook/B&N. Does anyone know what I need to do to placate the demigods of Nookland?

FWIW, the full error message is: "File with unsupported MIME type: /storage/emulated/0/Nook/copy/nameofepub"
angharad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by angharad09 View Post
I've been checking my .epub in various e-reader apps (on an Android phone, if that makes a difference). I can call it up in most apps I've tried, but for the Nook app I get an error message that begins "unsupported MIME type".
If you've opened the epub with an archive manager, it's possible that the mimetype file wasn't properly handled. Try resaving the epub with Calibre or Sigil.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
angharad09
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you've opened the epub with an archive manager, it's possible that the mimetype file wasn't properly handled. Try resaving the epub with Calibre or Sigil.
Good idea, but the last thing I did with it before sending it to my phone was save it in Calibre.

(And, for what it's worth, I've done it 2 or 3 times (saving the file in between), both emailing it to myself and connecting the phone to the computer.)

Is there anything I can check about the mimetype file besides the wording?
Old 08-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Is there anything I can check about the mimetype file besides the wording?
Have you already checked the epub with my EPUBCheck plugin or Pagina EPUB-Checker?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #5
angharad09
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Have you already checked the epub with my EPUBCheck plugin or Pagina EPUB-Checker?
I used FlightDeck (https://www.ebookflightdeck.com/). (Hmm, I guess I could have saved a few bucks! Good of you guys to put the free ones up.)
Advert
Old 08-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I used FlightDeck (https://www.ebookflightdeck.com/). (Hmm, I guess I could have saved a few bucks! Good of you guys to put the free ones up.)
Flightcheck is OK to use, but you have to use epubcheck as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Flightcheck is OK to use, but you have to use epubcheck as well.
Flightdeck not Flightcrew. From what they claim, they give better error messages than does epubcheck and check more items.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Flightdeck not Flightcrew. From what they claim, they give better error messages than does epubcheck and check more items.
Use both and make sure both say everything is OK. That would be the best solution.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use both and make sure both say everything is OK. That would be the best solution.
Flightdeck is a cost item. Given that the one person I know who used them a while back switched to using epubcheck and was just as happy with the results, I couldn't recommend them for most people.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The best mime type for the nook is the the type of mime that walks against the wind.

Tags
epub, mimetype, nook