Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
1. you ask google, by searching on error line at end of your post..
"WixCreateInternetShortcuts returned actual error code 1603"
then the google search results lead to..
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...g-installation

just as a side-check try installing anything except calibre to those two PCs, I suspect you will get 2 more fails
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #17
docjc
docjc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi stumped,

thanks for your answer, but it does not work: no points mentioned under cause relates to the computers here

- the program isn't installed any more or has never been
- no drive is encrypted
- no drive is a substitute drive
- and the System account has full access to the drive and all olders and all subfolders an files

Furthermore I have just installed the latest version of MS powertoys as MSI with no problems.
Also a normal EXE install was working.

??????
docjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjc View Post
Hi stumped,

thanks for your answer, but it does not work: ..
Also a normal EXE install was working.

??????
it will be better to compare with a "normal" .msi if you have one, as that's what calibre uses.

possible a simple quick test is to create a new user on the pc and see if that new user can install calibre

also, unless you deliberately did some 3rd party total uninstall, calibre leaves lots behind from earlier attempts e.g. all its configuration data- so another approach is to find a utility that can zap all that stuff, and start over

test-installing calibre portable is always a favorite test/workaround as that bypasses the windows registry, and can co-exist with a full install.

the error message is clearly saying that it can't create shortcuts in windows menu- which is a task that calibre would leave to the windows installer .
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #19
docjc
docjc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I finally solved the problem: powertoys.msi was it, after deinstallation the calibre setup is working

thanks again for all help
docjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #20
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjc View Post
I finally solved the problem: powertoys.msi was it, after deinstallation the calibre setup is working
Powertoys was the problem? Hmmm. I have that here and it has not previously caused issues, either. Noted for my future reference, and I think the big question is whether a future Calibre update will fail the same way as the 4.22.0 did. If it does, the first debug step will be deactivate Powertoys, and if that doesn't work, remove it entirely. (If my vague suspicions are correct, simply turning it off should do.)
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 08-18-2020 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typos
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #21
odenwalder
odenwalder began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab 5 Se
Powertoys issue with Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Powertoys was the problem? Hmmm. I have that here and it has not previously caused issues, either. Noted for my future reference, and I think the big question is whether a future Calibe update will fil the same way as the 4.22.0 did. If it does, the first debug step will be deactivate Powertoys, and if that doesn't work, remove it entirely. (If my vague suspicions are correct, simply turning it off should do.)
______
Dennis
Thanks for this information. I had the same problem and exiting Powertoys allowed me to successfully install 4.22 instead of getting the rollback.

I wonder what the issue is with MS Powertoys?

Last edited by odenwalder; 08-18-2020 at 02:57 PM.
odenwalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #22
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenwalder View Post
Thanks for this information. I had the same problem and exiting Powertoys allowed me to successfully install 4.22 instead of getting the rollback.

I wonder what the issue is with MS Powertoys?
I don't currently know. I have seen Powertoys complain because something I'm running has Admin powers, and that can get in Powertoys' way.

(I run a third party tabbed terminal program called ConEmu, and have that set to run as Admin because various things I might want to do from a CLI require Admin privileges. Ignoring the warning has not caused problems so far.)

At some point I will dig deeper into what Powertoys does and how it does it. Right now, other things are higher on my learn about list.

(I find myself involved in helping to run virtual events where the technologies used are in a state of flux. I'm a computer guy, but my work has been on the back end servers, and not the front end stuff that controls what the user sees and does. "Oh, no! Not another learning experience!"
______
Dennis
Old 08-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #23
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Tried to install 4.23 on my Win10/64 bit/fully updated comp with PowerToys v0.20.1

Turning off the PowerToys Run module seems to allow the install, although TBH after I had 4.23 successfully installed, I just did a Repair, but most likely the same
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #24
donmez
donmez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Tried to install 4.23 on my Win10/64 bit/fully updated comp with PowerToys v0.20.1

Turning off the PowerToys Run module seems to allow the install, although TBH after I had 4.23 successfully installed, I just did a Repair, but most likely the same
Indeed just exiting the PowerToys makes the installation work.
donmez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:38 AM   #25
pajpajpaj
pajpajpaj began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I just wanted to say thanks for the PowerToys tip!

Exiting PowerToys allowed the Calibre installation to successfully proceed without the rollback error.
pajpajpaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #26
reycat
Enthusiast
reycat began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 + Hanlin V3
I haven't posted here in 8+ years, but I found this thread when looking for a way to solve this problem and also wanted to say thanks.

It's funny that I tried to install Calibre on two of my machines, both Win10 Pros with Powertoys and I only had the problem with one of them.
reycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMHO, PowerToys = PowerJunk
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reycat View Post
I haven't posted here in 8+ years, but I found this thread when looking for a way to solve this problem and also wanted to say thanks.

It's funny that I tried to install Calibre on two of my machines, both Win10 Pros with Powertoys and I only had the problem with one of them.
I have had several Calibre and Powertoys updates since I first posted the question that created this thread. The issue has not recurred.

I'm just going to toss it into the "one of life's unsolved little mysteries" pile and hope it stays there.
______
Dennis
Old 10-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #29
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@JSWolf -- Well, I sort of like PowerToys. Give it maybe a B or B-

@DMcCunney --

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases/

After v0.23.0 I've had no issues

Quote:
PT Run
Multiple crash bugs fixed. Prioritized any users reported along with top hits from Watson reporting
Stopped PT Run from interfering with an install
Fixed folder bug if it had a # in it (Thanks @jjw24 for the PR!)
Fixed a screen flicker for
General bug fixes

Last edited by phossler; 10-17-2020 at 04:47 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:21 AM   #30
thniels
thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.thniels knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: BN Nook + Tolino Shine 3 + Tolino Vision 5
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, PowerToys = PowerJunk
PowerToys is in a state well before beta and as they say themselves...

Quote:
PowerToys is still a very fluidic project and the team is actively working out of this repository. We will be periodically re-structuring/refactoring the code to make it easier to comprehend, navigate, build, test, and contribute to, so DO expect significant changes to code layout on a regular basis.
Bashing a product that pretty much doesn't exist yet is a bit premature. Incidentally, it only has the name in common with the similarly named tool of yore (Win 95 days). And in all fairness, the team behind the tool do warn against running it in a production environment.
thniels is offline   Reply With Quote