Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #46
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Only in certain countries
...and Kobo only works with Overdrive in certain countries, as well. Yes, I know that Kobos work in more countries than Kindles do, but it's still not world wide.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:07 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...and Kobo only works with Overdrive in certain countries, as well. Yes, I know that Kobos work in more countries than Kindles do, but it's still not world wide.
To be precise, Kindles work with Overdrive in the USA. Country count: 1. Kobos work with Overdrive in Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore. Country count: 12.

As to why Canadian libraries don't support Kindle and Overdrive, it comes down to two basic reasons. The first is privacy as Canadian libraries are rather enthused about protecting borrower privacy. You want a list of books borrowed by a library member? Easy peasy. Go to court and get a judge to agree that there is acceptable evidence of a criminal act. There are good reasons that Canadians are not enthused about storing data on American servers or even having their data routed through the States.

And the other reason is cost. As most public libraries anywhere in the world, you get used to squeezing every penny until it squeals.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #48
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it say somewhere that the Nia had a color display?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #49
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it say somewhere that the Nia had a color display?
Nope. It’s got comfort light. Some folks thought that meant comfort light pro which adds orange LED to the front light.

There was some speculation that color eink would be a feature which, IMO, was beyond wishful thinking given the state of color eink. Kobo certainly won’t introduce it in an entry level device whenever it comes if it ever does.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:33 AM   #50
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I gave my 6" Kobo Aura to my uncle when I got my Clara. The USB charger on the Aura finally gave up the ghost and about two weeks ago he wound up ordering a refurbished Paperwhite 4 off of eBay, for about a hundred bucks
Would a new charger not have been a lot cheaper? That's assuming he didn't already own a bunch of them, like most people.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:56 AM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Would a new charger not have been a lot cheaper? That's assuming he didn't already own a bunch of them, like most people.
I'm guessing he meant the USB "charger" port.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Only in one country. That being the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:37 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Shari
In those countries where Overdrive does not work for Kobo, if Overdrive is available the eBooks can be read on a Kobo where it's not possible for a Kindle.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To be precise, Kindles work with Overdrive in the USA. Country count: 1. Kobos work with Overdrive in Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore. Country count: 12.

As to why Canadian libraries don't support Kindle and Overdrive, it comes down to two basic reasons. The first is privacy as Canadian libraries are rather enthused about protecting borrower privacy. You want a list of books borrowed by a library member? Easy peasy. Go to court and get a judge to agree that there is acceptable evidence of a criminal act. There are good reasons that Canadians are not enthused about storing data on American servers or even having their data routed through the States.

And the other reason is cost. As most public libraries anywhere in the world, you get used to squeezing every penny until it squeals.
So why is Kobo allowed to serve eBooks for Overdrive in Canada? Isn't it the same privacy issue as it would be if Kindle eBooks were available?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #55
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why is Kobo allowed to serve eBooks for Overdrive in Canada? Isn't it the same privacy issue as it would be if Kindle eBooks were available?
Thank you Jon, I was just going to ask that

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you Jon, I was just going to ask that

Shari
The argument could have been made that while Rakuten owned Overdrive and Kobo, they were under the umbrella of the same parent company. But now that Overdrive is no longer owned by Rakuten, I would think the privacy issues would be there.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing he meant the USB "charger" port.
Yes, the socket inside the device, of course.

He lives in Washington and I live in Texas, so I haven't seen the device personally since I gave it to him. But that's what I was told.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #58
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I rather doubt that it's Canada's privacy legislation (and overall attitude towards privacy) that prevents Overdrive from working with Amazon here as they do in the States.

The far simpler explanation is that Amazon simply doesn't care a lot about the Canadian market. This has been shown a number of times, most clearly with the launch of the Kindle Voyage. It's understandable, really... Canada's population is roughly 11% that of the U.S.

Still, the library support is one of the main reasons I've always preferred Kobo. Even with an older model that needs to sideload loans through Adobe Digital Editions library loans have been fantastic for me.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #59
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes, the socket inside the device, of course.

He lives in Washington and I live in Texas, so I haven't seen the device personally since I gave it to him. But that's what I was told.
That makes more sense, yes .
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Syncing to a Kobo ereader, the data goes through Kobo's hands and as far as I am aware, that is going to require a Canadian court to issue the court order for access to information on a Canadian customer. Them durn foreign countries that do not respect the rights of the US courts to demand any information at any time. You do have the choice not to sync directly to your Kobo ereader so user beware.

As for the library if you do a download using ADE, the borrower name is not part of the information given to Overdrive. The library end of the transaction is on a ACM server that, in theory, is private to the library. Asking a Canadian library or ISP to cough up user information is going to require a Canadian court to issue the order. I suppose a court order issued in the States could demand access to the server from the data centre operators if the server was physically located in a data centre in the USA. OTOH, the data centre is unlikely to have the decryption keys so accessing the server is going to require the NSA or equivalent to break the encryption.

Yes, Canadian libraries and ISPs have to bend and spread if required by the Canadian courts. However Canadian courts in past cases have only allowed very specific searches in contrast to American courts which seem fonder of the "hand over all the data and we will decide what is needed" approach. We won't get into the "secret" court orders which seem to be growing in popularity in the USA. I will admit that CSIS has not been a poster child for respecting privacy but then they are in the news for that.

As for my personal feelings about Amazon? Unlike Microsoft in the case of the data stored on a server in Ireland, Amazon in the past has shown a willingness to comply with requests for user information with no public court appearances required despite the data not being located on servers inside the USA.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-17-2020 at 03:16 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote