Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-01-2023, 01:53 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's OK, the people in charge of the firmware have no idea how make a good firmware and what features should be there.
I do wish they would step up their firmware. B&N seems like they could have a huge advantage in the ereader world, with their knowledge of books and all their stores. It just feels like after a strong start with the first Nook, the ST and the ST with Glowlight, they fumbled.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:30 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My store has gotten better since their redesign. They have a Glowlight 4e and they have a pink and pearl Glowlight 4 (that looks really nice, nicer than I thought it would).

It's kind of tucked away by the greeting cards, but at least it is up to date and the devices are powered on.

When I worked at B&N years ago, online and brick and mortar were two separate businesses and Nook kinda falls in between. I wonder if that is part of the problem?
Part of the problem (IMHO) is that the devices don't have all that much to offer given the weak firmware. Taking away hyphenation makes them even worse.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:34 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I do wish they would step up their firmware. B&N seems like they could have a huge advantage in the ereader world, with their knowledge of books and all their stores. It just feels like after a strong start with the first Nook, the ST and the ST with Glowlight, they fumbled.
The nook ST firmware was a disaster. Not much storage and it is partitioned. Plus, eBook organization is non-existent.

I know that some like the nook hardware, but B&N really needs to step up the firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:16 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nook ST firmware was a disaster. Not much storage and it is partitioned. Plus, eBook organization is non-existent.
Dude, it's a decade old device. Let it go.

And the Nook ST had an SD card slot, so your partitioning argument is dumb.

Quote:
I know that some like the nook hardware, but B&N really needs to step up the firmware.
Here, I'll agree.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:33 PM   #20
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
Went to two local B&N stores today and inquired about this.

The first store gal was like…. Yep. It’s coming this month. No I can’t share details.

The second store gal was like… I haven’t heard anything. If anything, they aren’t sending us any more GlowLight 4s, so it could be a GlowLight 5 releasing later this year? ��
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:25 PM   #21
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
That went away a few updates back. Stupid decision if you ask me.

But credit where credit is due: Nook (or RMSDK anyway) does a pretty good job of spacing without hyphenation. Better than Kobo's kepub defaults.

I really with Nook had some sort of feedback team. Nook's software really should be pretty good. But it's like the death of a thousand cuts. They support shelves and series. But not for sideloaded. They arbitrarily turned off hyphenation. They partition their storage. You can't add custom fonts. Each is small. But they snowball.
I started out with Nook in 2011, but it was the treatment of side-loaded books that shifted me away inside of a year to Sony. I just found it obnoxious that I'd have to switch folders to access my side-loaded content. I'd have freebies downloaded from an author's web site, yet couldn't keep them with the rest of the same author's books that I'd purchased from B&N.

Seriously, who expects a physical book owner to shelve stuff according to where they acquired it? So why should ebooks be treated that way?

No one I've ever known has shelved books based on whether they bought them from Amazon, B&N, a used bookstore, etc....
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:30 AM   #22
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
My store has gotten better since their redesign. They have a Glowlight 4e and they have a pink and pearl Glowlight 4 (that looks really nice, nicer than I thought it would).

It's kind of tucked away by the greeting cards, but at least it is up to date and the devices are powered on.

When I worked at B&N years ago, online and brick and mortar were two separate businesses and Nook kinda falls in between. I wonder if that is part of the problem?
I have the Pink. I like it a lot to be honest. looks better than the black and the screen quality feels better
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:06 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I started out with Nook in 2011, but it was the treatment of side-loaded books that shifted me away inside of a year to Sony. I just found it obnoxious that I'd have to switch folders to access my side-loaded content. I'd have freebies downloaded from an author's web site, yet couldn't keep them with the rest of the same author's books that I'd purchased from B&N.
That doesn't sound right at all. I have both an old Nook STwGlowlight from 2011 and 2015 Nook Glowlight Plus running current Nook firmware and both have the option to show ALL files in the same library. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230604_190155502.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	967.6 KB
ID:	201875  
Old 06-05-2023, 04:24 PM   #24
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
That doesn't sound right at all. I have both an old Nook STwGlowlight from 2011 and 2015 Nook Glowlight Plus running current Nook firmware and both have the option to show ALL files in the same library. See attached.
I had the Nook WiFi. The one with the old narrow color LCD touchscreen that sat right below the e-ink screen.

I didn't think they released the Glowlight until a couple years later, but I might be wrong. They may have changed things, and if they did, credit to them!

The trouble is, after they disabled downloading purchased ebooks from their website, I really had no interest in buying another ebook from them. Buying a device, well, it would have to be something that really stood out hardware/software-wise. By that, I mean a BN device would have to blow away my Kobo Sage and I don't think that's terribly likely in the near future.

Last edited by graycyn; 06-05-2023 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Additional paragraphs
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:07 PM   #25
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Covers showing on the B&N website, though without any type of visual image.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...ble/1143603296

Says you can add to cart and have the item shipped right now.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:45 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If B&N is using the usual American mm/dd/yyyy for the date format, that page seems to say the "publication date" will be on Sept. 6th, 2023.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:39 PM   #27
christianbk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If B&N is using the usual American mm/dd/yyyy for the date format, that page seems to say the "publication date" will be on Sept. 6th, 2023.
Hah, didn’t notice that until you pointed it out!

I ordered the black case. Supposed to come June 19.
Old 06-15-2023, 12:46 PM   #28
christianbk
Connoisseur

Covers no longer on B&N's website. The pages 404 error now. My case is still on track for delivery on June 20th though!
Old 06-21-2023, 05:39 PM   #29
christianbk
Connoisseur

Came a day late, but received the case. Took 11 days from ordering to receiving it.

Imgur album of images includes lots of comparison shots.

Comments based on comparisons with the 2019 GlowLight Plus device + official case and the NOOK GlowLight 4 device + official case:

- Same kind of style, with the latch mechanism to shut the cover
- It seems like the GL4Plus height is a fair amount shorter than the 2019 GlowLight Plus and a little less skinnier
- Weird little thing but the GL4Plus doesn't have the little "n" cutout in the inside of the case
Now we just need to hear when the device is actually going to be launching.

Note: Goodereader.com cannot use any of these images or quote any text mentioned in this post.
Old 06-23-2023, 12:37 PM   #30
gforgiraffe39935
Enthusiast
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
- Same kind of style, with the latch mechanism to shut the cover
- It seems like the GL4Plus height is a fair amount shorter than the 2019 GlowLight Plus and a little less skinnier
- Weird little thing but the GL4Plus doesn't have the little "n" cutout in the inside of the case

Note: Goodereader.com cannot use any of these images or quote any text mentioned in this post.
Without the "n" cutout on the inside of the case cover, I hope there is enough space to keep the N home button from being pressed if the cover has pressure on it when closed. I have purchased third party cases in the past, and without the cutout, the Nook constantly woke up from sleep and caused significant battery drain while inside my bag.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote