Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 AM   #1
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
APDFViewer for Edge

APDFViewerEdge
It's a modification of APDFViewer for PE/EE.It uses the full screen of reader to display book pages.I did it so I can read comic books on eink(full screen).

Uploaded Mod9 which works on both PE and EE(rooted) and can set page contrast level(1-5, 5 means darkest),just in case there is still someone needing it.

How to use it?
1.root your PE with Z4root;
2.install APDFViewerEdge;
unzip the apk from the attachment,copy it ito your PE;
click the apk in you PE to install the application;
3.It's not a standlone app,and can only be launched through file manager app when trying to open a pdf file.When the "app asking for root permission" dialog is displayed,select "yes".
4.use page keys to turn page,app switcher key to turn on/off the backlight of lcd.

thanks vldmr for the EdgeFB class.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153653
Attached Files
File Type: zip APDFViewerEdgeMod8.zip (1.53 MB, 828 views)
File Type: zip APDFViewerEdgeMod9.zip (1.52 MB, 490 views)

Last edited by javese; 12-21-2017 at 09:51 PM.
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Wow, good things keep coming. Thanks!

One thing I was wondering. To access the eink frame buffer root permissions are not really needed. Once fp2 device is set to be writeable to anyone (chmod 666) then every normal application can display eink.

So I guess what would make sense is to modify startup scripts to change permission at powerup. That change could be added allmine installer. I will bring this up at allmine thread
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Curious,since the PE already views PDF files on the eink side, what advantage does this give? Is APDFViewer just a better PDF viewer (ie, more bells and whistles)?
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
Curious,since the PE already views PDF files on the eink side, what advantage does this give? Is APDFViewer just a better PDF viewer (ie, more bells and whistles)?
Hi tekknogenius,the only advantage I want to achieve is to use the whole screen of eink for book display,instead of having to leave room for toolbars,menus,etc.I'll be grateful if anyone can tell me how I can get this done with the stock reader app.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
javese
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vldmr View Post
Wow, good things keep coming. Thanks!

One thing I was wondering. To access the eink frame buffer root permissions are not really needed. Once fp2 device is set to be writeable to anyone (chmod 666) then every normal application can display eink.

So I guess what would make sense is to modify startup scripts to change permission at powerup. That change could be added allmine installer. I will bring this up at allmine thread
Yes that would make sense.
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
javese
Zealot

mod3 released.Added a feature to save the index of last viewed page for each opened book.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast
Vit-orekhov began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
javese, what do you think, would it be possible to improve this app and to make an "integrated E-Ink-LCD-screen" for PDF files? Our PEs are too small to read A4 PDFs... But, if there were an app, that can automatically separate PDF file, and the first half af the page would be shown on the E-INk screen, an the second on the LCD, wouldn't it be more useful for PDF-reading?

|----buttons------|
|-first half (E-ink)-|
|-----------------|
(::::loudspeaker:::
|-----------------|
|-secondhalf(LCD)-|
|------------------|
|___buttons_______|
Vit-orekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
vldmr
Bigendian confidologist
vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vldmr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: edge & edgejr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit-orekhov View Post
|----buttons------|
|-first half (E-ink)-|
|-----------------|
(::::loudspeaker:::
|-----------------|
|-secondhalf(LCD)-|
|------------------|
|___buttons_______|
I believe such layout would be really hard on reader eyes because of drastically different lightning conditions. User would have to accommodate to different lightning every half a page. I donno, I woulld hate such reading.

What reading on small screen needs for pdf is ability of software to determine the actual area of text flow, so that it would automatically zoom in to with of readable portion of page ignoring borders and any sparse text on borders. And ability to correctly recognise columns in multi-column layout, zooming into single column width. But this is tough task, and tables and figures create big problem, looks like even adobe with all its resources is not up to such task.

Last edited by vldmr; 10-25-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Overquted
vldmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast

vldmr, I thought about different lightning conditions, sure. But zour variant will cause reduction of the letters-size... That's not too good... The problem is, that in real life we don't look PDFs very often... So, it's needed only for some very special files...
The technology you are speaking about is used in ezPDF and suitable for columns... But not for the pages... Nevertheless, thanx, for your interest, maybe, somehow is't could be done.
javese, what do you think?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
javese
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit-orekhov View Post
vldmr, I thought about different lightning conditions, sure. But zour variant will cause reduction of the letters-size... That's not too good... The problem is, that in real life we don't look PDFs very often... So, it's needed only for some very special files...
The technology you are speaking about is used in ezPDF and suitable for columns... But not for the pages... Nevertheless, thanx, for your interest, maybe, somehow is't could be done.
javese, what do you think?
I'm partialy with vldmr,and partialy with you.I understand that you are trying to read A4 pdf on the eink .I'd like to do that too.But I won't enjoy reading it half eink and half lcd.To read on lcd you can promptly navigate,to read on eink will ease your eyes.To read half eink and half lcd you get neither of these two.I'm thinking of using a 1200*800 virtual screen for pdf rendering and display half of it on eink,then use page keys to navigate between the 2 halfs,and to turn pages as well.
I'll also like the feature of "ability of software to determine the actual area of text flow".But I think that's too much work for both the poor cpu and poor me. So I'd rather leave it to some pc software such as briss.Still,I like the idea.
Thanks vldmr and Vit-orekhov.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
javese
Zealot

mod5 released.
added feature:
1.use virtual big window for eink display;
2.support landscape mode in eink.

with this release reading A4 on eink is bearable.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast

Yes! Thanx, javese! That's patly was a feature I was talking about!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #13
javese
Zealot

mod6 released.
added feature:
1.better tuned to abandon tiny part;
2.get "goto page" back.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #14
javese
Zealot

mod7 released.
added feature:
1.use mupdf for pdf rendering,which can handle "bitspercomponent 1" files.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
javese
Zealot

mod8 released.
bug fix:
1.fix the "go to page" crash bug caused by 0 based page index in mupdf.