Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
rockeh
rockeh began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story
Send to device template

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before (I've searched but found nothing relevant), but I have the following issue: I want to create a template that will add the book series and index to the filename, but only if they exist. I mean someting like:

J Random Author - Single Book
J Random Author - Unrelated Book
J Random Author - Amazing Series 1 - I'm Doing a Trilogy, You Guys
J Random Author - Amazing Series 2 - It's Gonna Be Awesome
J Random Author - I Lost All My Inspiration

The bolded bits are what give me trouble. See, I've looked at the Python templating, and came up with these two options:

{authors} - {: $series - $series_index - }{title}
{authors} - {: %series - %series_index - }{title}

since that's what that page suggested. However, Calibre doesn't like either option, and my Python-fu is weak.

So, can anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by rockeh; 08-16-2010 at 03:08 PM.
rockeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeh View Post
I want to create a template that will add the book series and index to the filename, but only if they exist.
You can't.

Quote:
So, can anyone give me a pointer?
Try this:
Code:
{series} {series_index} {authors} - {title}
It puts a couple of spaces at the front of the name when {series} and {series_index} are empty, and the OS strips them off.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
rockeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
You can't.
Aww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Try this:
Code:
{series} {series_index} {authors} - {title}
It puts a couple of spaces at the front of the name when {series} and {series_index} are empty, and the OS strips them off.
The OS stripping extra spaces is great, and solved my problem -- I put in
Code:
{authors} - {series} {series_index} {title}
and it's done the trick.

Thank you

[edit] Spelling.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
The OS stripping extra spaces is great, and solved my problem -- I put in
Code:
{authors} - {series} {series_index} {title}
and it's done the trick.
Thank you
OS stripping of spaces only works at the beginning of the filename. I see you put it in the middle, so you don't get OS stripping, just multiple spaces, but it's better than random multiple hyphens. I put my author name in the folder/directory name, then put all my series together, followed by the title.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
rockeh

Actually, that's worked as expected (ie, it removed the extra spaces in the filename). If it's relevant in any way, I'm using v 0.7.14 on Win 7 (64 bit version).
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Please ignore (fat fingers)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Actually, that's worked as expected (ie, it removed the extra spaces in the filename). If it's relevant in any way, I'm using v 0.7.14 on Win 7 (64 bit version).
...try again. It's a bug fix introduced in v7.13. Here is quote from calibre "What's New"

Code:
Save to disk/send to device templates: Always render {series_index} as an empty string when the book has no series.
Closes tickets: 6409
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote