Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Calibre Qt DLLs override the system Qt DLLs

Just wanted to put this here so I spare other people the frustration. If you install calibre first and Qt second, calibre overrides the system Qt libs. This happens because calibre's path is added to the system %PATH% variable before the path to the system Qt libs.

Kovid, you could solve this by putting your Qt libs in a special folder inside calibre's folder so that they don't end up on the %PATH%. This is a good idea for most windows programs anyway.

EDIT: Oh, and this was on Windows XP.

Last edited by Valloric; 03-10-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unfortunately, the way calibre is setup currently, it needs to have the Qt dlls on the PATH. I could probably change that if I tried hard enough, but...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Unfortunately, the way calibre is setup currently, it needs to have the Qt dlls on the PATH. I could probably change that if I tried hard enough, but...
Well, then the only solution is to edit the PATH by hand so system Qt libs get loaded before calibre's. I did it on my system, and it's not difficult. What is difficult is finding out what was the problem in the first place. I was using Qt 4.5 for an application, and all debug builds were running fine. OTOH, the release builds crashed spectacularly.

It was not an easy thing to debug. And a windows application should not put any DLLs on the PATH if it's not bent on providing those libs to other apps... this specific issue being proof enough.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote