Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Removing directories on device (Jetbook Mini)

Love using calibre with my Jetbook Mini. Conversions are decent out-of-the-box. (I haven't taken time to try to tweak ePub-to-FB2 formatting, if that's even possible.)

However, when I remove books from the Mini, the author directories are left behind. This results in having a folder for every author that I have ever sent to the reader, and it clutters the interface when I'm looking for something to read.

Is there a way to tell calibre to remove the author directories when all books have been removed that are by that author? I know that the index files are necessary, and that removing them requires the Mini to regenerate them if the book is restored to it, but that is utterly acceptable to me.

I will open a bug-report if necessary, but perhaps someone here knows if this is possible to implement currently.

Much aloha.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Try the Quality check PI
There is some (folder) cleanup code that was implemented before Connect to Folder was created. It might work for you.

As always, back up data on your device... just in case things head deep
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Took a look, I don't see anything related? It seems to be about cleaning up ePubs -- I'm asking about the directory structure on the device itself.

Aloha.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Took a look, I don't see anything related? It seems to be about cleaning up ePubs -- I'm asking about the directory structure on the device itself.

Aloha.
Look at the next to last entry in the FIX section
Old 06-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
capidamonte

Thanks for the help, but I don't think this is what I'm looking for. It's likely to be something in the Jetbook "driver", or whatever it is actually called.

Aloha.
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Is there a way to tell calibre to remove the author directories when all books have been removed that are by that author
No calibre device driver that I am aware of makes an attempt removes empty directories on the device.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #7
capidamonte

Would this be a feature request, then? Or is it outside the pale for technical reasons?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Would this be a feature request, then? Or is it outside the pale for technical reasons?
Looking at the code, it appears that I was wrong. Calibre does try to remove the folders containing the book that was deleted. It will fail if there is any other file in the folder.

I just tried it with the folder device, using a template of "a/b/c/{authors}/{title} - {authors} ({id})". I sent a book and verified that the a/b/c/... path was there. I then deleted the book and the path disappeared.

I have no idea why this isn't happening for you. Are there other files being put into the book directories by the jetbook? If so then calibre will not delete the directory.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #9
capidamonte

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this thread. Life has interfered.

I think that the jetbook creates index files when it opens the book for the first time. Is it possible that that is what's causing it? Could the driver have a little override that says "remove everything regardless of extant files in the folder"?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You might look at the code in the Quality Check PI: Cleanup files and folders.

Kiwidude added that at my request for my RMSDK based Astak. I don't Know what this will do on something else.

Ya know, the Fix section in this PI should really be broken out as the main thrust of the PI is to REPORT.

THEN
Solutions for some of these most excellent repair issues could be added
Old 11-20-2015, 01:41 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this thread. Life has interfered.

I think that the jetbook creates index files when it opens the book for the first time. Is it possible that that is what's causing it? Could the driver have a little override that says "remove everything regardless of extant files in the folder"?
Drivers can define a DELETE_EXTS variable which describes "extra" files that need to be cleaned up when a book is deleted. e.g. the Kindle includes an ebook.sdr/ folder next to each ebook.azw3 which contains the annotations and pagenumbers and other stuff.
Then, when calibre is used to "Delete from Device", it will get rid of those.

If the Jetbook is storing index files for the book, I think it would be entirely appropriate for the corresponding driver to include that.

So -- I assume for each "ebook.fb2" there is what, an "ebook.db"?
In that case, file a bug report and ask that '.db' be added to DELETE_EXTS for the Jetbook Mini (and whichever other Jetbook devics may share that behavior -- I see there are drivers for three distinct devices)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #12
capidamonte

Just deleted one, and there were three files remaining after calibre deleted the book -- all have the same basename: 15533251 and the following extensions: TX2, IDX and IM2.

Should I open a ticket? or is there an easy way to tell the driver to take these along when I delete the book?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The wat DELETE_EXTS works is that it will function only if the extra files have the same basename as the book file, but a different extension. If that is not the case the driver will need to re-implent the delete_extra_book_files() function.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:59 AM   #14
capidamonte

Yeah, that's not the basename of the book file. They're definitely created by the opening of the book in the reader -- there is a "please wait" screen that pops up saying that the book is being formatted.

Let me know what you'd like me to do, if I can help to make this possible.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:07 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If there is no way to determine the filename of the files to be deleted, I dont see how this can be implemented safely. In the general case a folder may contain these sidecar files from multiple books, how does the driver know which files correspond to the book it is deleting?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, directory, folder, jetbook, mini