Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you planning on upgrading to the Nook Simple Touch Reader from your Nook Classic?
YES 48 34.29%
NO 42 30.00%
On the fence / need more information 50 35.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #61
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg View Post
De gustibus. I don't have a Kindle (when they get ePub, I'm there!) but I have touchphobia as well. Touchscreens tend to do things when you accidentally touch them. I not only prefer buttons, I want them a little hard to press so only what I want done will happen. I don't drag and drop on computers, either, and I prefer a stick to an automatic transmission. Get off my lawn.

I've been waiting for an improved Nook with a Pearl screen for months now. Touch is enough of a negative for me that I won't be getting one. I just got got a Pocketbook 360 for the same price as the new Nook, and I'm not regretting it at all. The Pearl screen might be better, but the amount of that "better" has been reduced by the touchscreen.

Also, the 360 has the best interface I've seen so far on an ebook reader. It supports folders, so Calibre organization works, it allows me to configure the buttons they way I like, and the auto rotate is kind of snazzy as well.

If it weren't for the touchscreen, the new Nook sounds pretty good, but I'm going to pass.
I understand the touch ambivalence. (Also seconding your love for the PB360!)

I certainly don't want a touch-only device with no physical page turning buttons - that's a deal killer for me with the new Kobo. And I do share your frustration with touch devices doing things that you don't want when you accidentally touch the screen. (How often does my cat walk across my Nook screen now? Do I want that being a command to the device?)

On the other hand, I do like the touch versatility for highlighting passages and looking up words. That's awesome.

For me, the perfect device would be this N2 device, but with a little physical switch that turned the touch interface on/off at will. Just reading? Off. Want to highlight passages? On. That would be ideal.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #62
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
... By the way, which cover did you get?
I got the Soho Cover (chestnut).

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Soho...?cds2Pid=35616

I initially went there for the Minimal Trifold cover with magnets (need interior pockets), but after looking at it, didn't care for the outer appearance. Then remembered the more expensive Soho is also a trifold with pockets and magnets, found it, liked it more. When I viewed it online, I didn't like the light colored interior (looking for a dark gray like my Writer's cover), but in person it looks very nice in the trifold design. Classy.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #63
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

I initially went there for the Minimal Trifold cover with magnets (need interior pockets), but after looking at it, didn't care for the outer appearance. Then remembered the more expensive Soho is also a trifold with pockets and magnets, found it, liked it more. When I viewed it online, I didn't like the light colored interior (looking for a dark gray like my Writer's cover), but in person it looks very nice in the trifold design. Classy.
ooooohh that's sharp looking
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #64
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:

That's very nice and classy! I like it!

I preferred the canvas covers for my Nook because they match my style a bit better. I'm a bit on the "colorful" and quirky side, and I like my electronics to reflect that. I hope they bring back the Alice Cover and all of the other funky designs for the new Nook.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
My current Nook also has what they say is an "eInk" screen so I also will have to wait and see if the new nook increases the contrast to that of the Kindle.
The K3 uses Pearl. The 650 uses Pearl. The new nook uses Peal. The new Kobo uses Pearl. So yes, they will all be the same. But in the specs page linked above, the photos are doctored. The background is NOT white. It is still grey.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #66
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Nice outer color.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the soapbox.

This is a sentiment I also share. There is so much negativity going on at these forums it is not funny. It seems that instead of giving good reasons to their positions and having an adult conversation, some people here think that the only way that they can make a point is too tear down the other guy or product. What happens then is that the posts become a game of who can diss the other product more. The average person on the board starts ignoring the thread and then, unfortunately, what could have been a good learning experience for some of us becomes a discussion of who can top that.

Off soapbox.

For the record, I will be purchasing the Nook 2 as soon as it is available.
My opinion is that if you already have a reader, wait until the new nook & Kobo are out in the wild and you can go and see them in person. Wait until there are reviews. Wait until you find out if the software is buggy or not. Kobo's track record is not good. Maybe they've fixed this. But I'd wait and see. The nook, I'd also wait and see. Maybe they've introduced new bugs. Maybe the Kobo is better. I have no idea which is better of the two. The only thing I can say for sure is the way B&N calculates the battery life is a sham.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/05/24...nook-in-specs/
Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
It'll be interesting to see what their reaction will be if and when Amazon releases an all touch Kindle. Will it all of a sudden become "magical" and Amazon did it in way that is just pleasantly different?
That's one thing I dislike about rabid Kindle fans. They think that if Amazon does it, it's a wonderful feature even when it's been done before and they didn't like it on the other guy's device. Like lending on the nook was so-so and now it's wonderful on the Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I want a Nook Touch with an audio player and speakers. It'll be called Kindle 4
Not if the K4 doesn't handle ePub with adept DRM. It'll just be a K3 with no keyboard and a touch screen. To be honest, I do see Amazon losing out out with the new touch readers making the Kindle look like a dinosaur.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #69
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not if the K4 doesn't handle ePub with adept DRM. It'll just be a K3 with no keyboard and a touch screen. To be honest, I do see Amazon losing out out with the new touch readers making the Kindle look like a dinosaur.
I don't care about formats. I just want a touch screen with said features. Kindle Touch is my last hope.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #70
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Being such tech junkie I have been so tempted by bith the Kobo and the Nook the past couple of days. I am disappointed by the look of the new Nook - don't like it at all. But the features I do like. Or at least I think I do...
Then I picked up my "old" Nook and did some reading. And I realized I really, really like it! It's by no means perfect. Battery life is bad and it's not as sleek and light as the others. But it looks good, it feels good to hold, and it does what I want it to do. Some things I don't like (like bad library organization) probably are about the same in the new one. (I hope I'm wrong.)
So no, won't be getting one at this point anyway!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #71
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Sweet!! That is very elegant. Good taste!

Last edited by jersysman; 05-26-2011 at 02:18 PM.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #72
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Sweet!! That is very elegant. Good taste!
Thanks. I figure I'll keep the NOOKcolor for at least another 6 months (see what's available Nov/Dec holiday season). Don't feel too guilty about buying another cover at that price point.

Looking at covers for the NOOK Touch. Will probably get this one:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Soho...?cds2Pid=35723

I think the small and light size of the device makes this a good choice. Normally I would avoid the extra bulk of the notepad setup. This is particularly attractive for those who prefer the notepad on the right side. Also, the way the cover wraps around, it actually hides the notepad! Usually the notepad is just dangling. Very well designed.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #73
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Only if there's a way to get library navigation at least as good as that provided by calibre+calibre2opds+trook (on a rooted original nook, of course). Anything less need not apply...
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #74
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Looking at covers for the NOOK Touch. Will probably get this one:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Soho...?cds2Pid=35723

I think the small and light size of the device makes this a good choice. Normally I would avoid the extra bulk of the notepad setup. This is particularly attractive for those who prefer the notepad on the right side. Also, the way the cover wraps around, it actually hides the notepad! Usually the notepad is just dangling. Very well designed.
Darn! Now you've got me looking at a nice cover for the Nook 2. For my NC I just got a standard cover from Amazon. But, these two covers that you have shown here are great.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #75
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Darn! Now you've got me looking at a nice cover for the Nook 2. For my NC I just got a standard cover from Amazon. But, these two covers that you have shown here are great.
I honestly think BN's nook accesories are the best on the market. Everything looks and feels high end and stylish. Heck even the bags they give you at the nook counter, I pause to throw them out.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote