Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
Thanks Wallcraft. So if Im understanding correctly, as of right now I cant buy books either from Amazon, Sony and B&N but will likely able to soon with the last two. As for books I want to buy from other ebook websites, I will likely have to strip the DRM for all of them to be able to use them in the PP, right? Unless there are Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub. Is there an easy way to do this? I know we can use free calibre program. I will check that out to see how hard it is. Also, I am wondering if I should just go with Sony 300 to eliminate stripping DRM for every ebooks I buy and just buy from Sony website. How often can I find books readily in Adobe PDF and Epub? Sorry if I ask a lot of maybe already answered questions. I am new to this and a lot of terms are still a bit confusing. Bear with me and thanks for all your help!
An ounce of caution is needed when considering books from the Sony store. The Sony store sold secure books, that is, current publications, in the BBeB format. They recently announced that they are dropping BBeB and will sell only in ePub. The problem is that that some books you buy there are in BBeB format: the site doesn't tell you what format the book you're buying is in. Sony hasn't announced yet what sort of support they will give in future for books sold in that format. The last books I got there were all BBeB formatted.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I am leaning towards the EZ reader. I want to buy some books from fictionwise but they only come in secure mobipocket and secure ereader format. The question is can I just download the mobi version and have it readable on PP? Or I might not be able to since it might only support the DRM-free mobi (according to Wallcraft on earlier post) hmm...Or maybe I can buy them in ereader and use calibre to convert it to other formats that would work on the PP? Will calibre strip the DRM as well as convert? I went to Bookonboards and cant find anything I like there. Anywhere else sell Adobe PDF?

Ok I just reread Wallcraft post again..and I guess calibre can only be used to convert cross format with DRM-free ebooks only. Dang! Guess there's no easy way out but deDRM those puppies unless I only buy books with Adobe PDF/ePub and hopeful that Sony switch all thier books to ePub soon enough and that the PP support the ereader fast so I can use BN as well. I guess I want the easy way out. No Kindle suggestion please. I want to actually "own" books I bought.

Last edited by superstitious; 08-30-2009 at 08:55 PM.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #18
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm in the same boat as you, superstitious. And I still have to learn how to do all of this format/DRM business.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Well, glad to know Im not the only one GA Russell! I have just been learning and reading everything and everywhere. I think I am going to wait till some people get their hands on the PP to see if it is for me. But man, I feel like I might not be able to wait. The more I read the more excited I get. lol
Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In order to strip MOBI and eReader DRM you need to use python scripts from the command line, the best place to start to look for these is the darkreverser weblog. In the comments to the the blog you might even find a Windows GUI version for MOBI that is easier to use. Note that for MOBI you need a PID, and often the best source is the PID of your Windows PC running Desktop MobiPocket Reader.

Calibre only deals with DRM-free ebooks. You may want to use it to convert your DRM-free ebooks to an optimal format for the Pocket Pro. Probably ePub or FB2 will be best.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:24 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
This certainly can be addressed with a firmware fix, and as you say may be annoying, but does not make the book unreadable.
It's certainly a firmware issue, but if there's one thing I've learned in the 25-odd years I've been reading eBooks it's this: buy a device for what you know it can do, not for what you hope it may be upgraded to do in the future.

All I'm saying is that if reading ePub books is important to you, there are currently much better devices for that format. That may change in the future, but it's true at the moment.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #22
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's certainly a firmware issue, but if there's one thing I've learned in the 25-odd years I've been reading eBooks it's this: buy a device for what you know it can do, not for what you hope it may be upgraded to do in the future.
I agree with you 100% on buying a device for what you know it can do now, and that is why I bought the EZ-Reader. I wanted flexibility and did not want to be locked into one particular format and the EZ-Reader was the device that best suited my immediate needs. It added ADE as a bonus imo so the shortcomings as such are not that important to me at this point.

If Sony or Amazon had opened up their readers, then I might have gone with them.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
superstitious
Addict

Is there a place where I can find a really detailed information about all the file formats the PP actually take? Like other than the PDF and ePub. I want to know if the secure mocrosoft reader version (lit) will work for this without deDRM or not. Also, since this thing supports a lot of file types , knowing whether it takes DRM or Non-DRM version would be nice. I looked at the wiki for the PP. It only shows which files are supported but not an extensive version of whether or not those files have to be DRM or DRM-free to work on the PP (without converting of course). Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstitious View Post
I looked at the wiki for the PP. It only shows which files are supported but not an extensive version of whether or not those files have to be DRM or DRM-free to work on the PP
The only DRMed formats are Adobe ePub and PDF. The wiki and most reports say that DRM-free MOBI is supported, but there is a ? on MOBI because some people with a Hanlin V5 say there is no MOBI support (and they should know).

There are at least three "readers" on the device, each for a different set of formats. Adobe Digital Editions is used for ePub and PDF. CoolReader is used for FB2 and RTF. Several of the other formats use a PDF-like reader that maps the format to standard pages and then renders those pages in one of 3 "zoom levels". I am not a fan of the last reader, although it works in a pinch. LIT in particular seems to be buggy, and I suggest using Calibre to convert DRM-free LIT to FB2 or ePub. My recommendations are based on the EZ Reader Basic. I have a Pocket Pro on order.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #25
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
I agree with you 100% on buying a device for what you know it can do now, and that is why I bought the EZ-Reader. I wanted flexibility and did not want to be locked into one particular format and the EZ-Reader was the device that best suited my immediate needs. It added ADE as a bonus imo so the shortcomings as such are not that important to me at this point.

If Sony or Amazon had opened up their readers, then I might have gone with them.
What format can you read on your Ezreader that the Sony 300/600 won't read? Mobi/PRC, right? But you have to choose Mobi/PRC or ePub. And right now it seems that Aztek is only offering a crippled version of ePub, so using your acid test, if Aztek opens there readers to inlcude full ePub support in the future, maybe then folks should consider the Ezreader. I think you are being purposefully disingenuous saying the Sony Readers aren't 'flexible' by implying that the owner would be "locked into one particular format."
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #26
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
AZtek will soon have the ereader format in DRM also.
Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #27
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
What format can you read on your Ezreader that the Sony 300/600 won't read? Mobi/PRC, right? But you have to choose Mobi/PRC or ePub. And right now it seems that Aztek is only offering a crippled version of ePub, so using your acid test, if Aztek opens there readers to inlcude full ePub support in the future, maybe then folks should consider the Ezreader. I think you are being purposefully disingenuous saying the Sony Readers aren't 'flexible' by implying that the owner would be "locked into one particular format."
The EZ-Reader will read the following file formats:
ADE (Adobe Digital Edition), PDF, TXT, PDB, DOC, HTML, FB2, LIT, MP3, EPUB, PRC, WOL, CHM, PPT, TIF, PNG,GIF, RAR, ZIP, DJVU, JPG, BMP, with future support for Ereader DRM which is my preferred format (the only other reader that is available and says they will support Ereader DRM is Eslick).

The Mobi/PRC is non DRM.

I actually prefer how FB2 looks. Does Sony Support FB2?

Not supporting Mobi/PRC in its non DRM format is in my opinion a negative.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #28
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
The EZ-Reader will read the following file formats:
ADE (Adobe Digital Edition), PDF, TXT, PDB, DOC, HTML, FB2, LIT, MP3, EPUB, PRC, WOL, CHM, PPT, TIF, PNG,GIF, RAR, ZIP, DJVU, JPG, BMP, with future support for Ereader DRM...
Question for the well-versed masters...

Rate the Hanlin, specifically the Astak EZ line, format support in terms of quality. 10 for great support, 1 for the most rudimentary of support, for each supported format.

DOCUMENTS
ADE
PDF
TXT
PDB
DOC
HTML
FB2
LIT
EPUB
PRC
WOL
CHM
DJVU

IMAGES
PPT
TIF
PNG
GIF
JPG
BMP
Ereader DRM

RAR & ZIP are simply archived images files, and may be listed as CBR and CBZ (ComicBookRar & ComicBookZip)
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this mean that the V3 and clones are all using the same buggy ADE code?

Sony's ADe does not yet have full justification. But other than that, it works rather well (for ADE).

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-01-2009 at 05:53 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #30
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The ADE that is there at the moment for the V3 looks to be the basic ADE SKU. We are excepting updated firmware as soon as the developers have the time to make the updates. I would think that even the first firmware release of the Sony's did not have it right the the first time.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote