Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Power Consumption of Micro Sd Cards and effect on battery life

I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding the typical power consumption of the Various MicroSd Cards on the market and the effect of battery drain on the Kobo devices. I googled and found this on Wikipedia but as to the reliability of the information I do not know.

Power consumption

The power consumption of microSD cards varies by manufacturer and model. During transfer it may be in the range of 66–330 mW (20–100 mA at a supply voltage of 3.3 V). Specifications from TwinMos technologies list a maximum of 149 mW (45 mA) during transfer. Toshiba lists 264–330 mW (80–100 mA).[65] Standby current is much lower, less than 0.2mA for one 2006 Micro SD card.[66] If there is data transfer for significant periods, battery life may be reduced noticeably (smartphones typically have batteries of capacity from 1000mAh to 2000mAh).

The link is :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_...er_consumption

What I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide a deeper insight to this particular question? Any and all comments are welcome.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
My personal opinion is that battery life on an eReader will see no impact from the SD card. eBooks are small and transfer rates, even on slow cards, are fast enough that you can transfer a book to memory in a blink. Once in memory, there is no need for the eReader to access the card again, so it should stay dormant. Even on large eBooks, there should be enough memory to hold a significant number of pages in memory to minimize access to the SD card. Bottom line, I think there's no need to worry about battery life and SD cards.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Have a look here and here as well. Some brands appear to work better with Kobo than others.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
My personal opinion is that battery life on an eReader will see no impact from the SD card. eBooks are small and transfer rates, even on slow cards, are fast enough that you can transfer a book to memory in a blink. Once in memory, there is no need for the eReader to access the card again, so it should stay dormant. Even on large eBooks, there should be enough memory to hold a significant number of pages in memory to minimize access to the SD card. Bottom line, I think there's no need to worry about battery life and SD cards.
Badly designed soft or firmware could cause a problem.
The memory card should just sit there until needed after initial handshaking.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote