Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This certainly looks like a 3G, mini-PCIe card to me:
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/c...toUEdAtbQ.huge

Shown in step 6 of:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Kindle-2-Teardown/624/1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeling View Post
Update 2: BTW, it only works if you save the text file without an extension: "ENABLE_DIAGS" no ".txt"
Did you see somewhere that the file name was; "ENABLE_DIAGS.txt"?
If so, give a link so we can fix it.

Note: In Linux (all *nix, including MAC OSx) file names are case sensitive and the file name includes all characters.

PS: That "aux" antenna connector on your card is the GPS antenna connection (not used).

Last edited by knc1; 11-13-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
freewheeling
Nameless Being

It didn't work.

After the change serial number key I got the following message:

Quote:
Device ID initialization must be performed from the debug board console.
Press 1 to set Serial Number now.
Pres X to abort setting Serial Number now.
If I press 1 it just gives a message that the screen will be cleared as soon as device ID initialization is complete, and just hangs until I restart. So some other piece of hardware is necessary to change the serial number. You can't do it from this utility.

Now, I wonder why they sell these motherboards if they can't be used? Should they have included a SIM card with the item, the one that's matched to the board?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral

You might be interested in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145702

Not for the details of the K3 but for those about the card used in the K2.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #20
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You might be interested in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145702

Not for the details of the K3 but for those about the card used in the K2.
But he's talking about GSM, right? My device doesn't have a GSM connection. It's already using CDMA. The GSM lines are all blank on the ALT-611 screen.

Quote:
Bars: 5
Roaming: 0
RSSI: -79
Tx Power: 0
System Mode: WCDMA
Data Service Mode: WCDMA
It also says:

Quote:
SIM Status: Valid, PIN okay, R3
Service Status: Service
Reg Status: Success
Call Status: Conversion
MM Attach State: Attach accept
MM LU State: LU update
GMM Attach State: Attach accept
GMM State: Registered
GMM RAU State: Not available
PDP State: Active
Network Mode: CS PS separate attach mode
PMM Mode: Idle
Registered?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #21
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Here's the message I get when I try to register:
Quote:
Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again.
Which, of course, doesn't do diddly.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #22
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I suggest to go and try using the "idme" command (I guess it's also there on the K2) to set the serial number and board ID of your new motherboard (back it up!) to the data of your old motherboard. I think this is the logical approach after failing to retrieve or change the WAN MAC address.

Additional note: If it's somewhat like the K3, the WAN MAC address is stored in a section at the beginning of the flash memory, near where the serial number and board id are stored. Should be retrievable and changeable by someone who knows her/his hex editor.

As for the question "Now, I wonder why they sell these motherboards if they can't be used?", I guess the answer simply is: "because people buy them" and this way, they can make a bit of money out of the debris left after having destroyed the screen substrate in some stupid accident. I guess these boards won't ever work as a replacement out-of-the-box.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #23
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
As for the question "Now, I wonder why they sell these motherboards if they can't be used?", I guess the answer simply is: "because people buy them" and this way, they can make a bit of money out of the debris left after having destroyed the screen substrate in some stupid accident. I guess these boards won't ever work as a replacement out-of-the-box.
I think the board would have worked out-of-the-box if it had its original SIM card and 3G modem, and had been deregistered from amazon, and had not been reported as lost or stolen, and had not been replaced by amazon. Risky set of conditions to rely on, perhaps.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Registered?
The device appears to be working properly.

Your only problem is with getting Amazon to accept it.
You need to deal with Amazon on that subject and/or the vendor of that board.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I suggest to go and try using the "idme" command (I guess it's also there on the K2) to set the serial number and board ID of your new motherboard (back it up!) to the data of your old motherboard. I think this is the logical approach after failing to retrieve or change the WAN MAC address.

Additional note: If it's somewhat like the K3, the WAN MAC address is stored in a section at the beginning of the flash memory, near where the serial number and board id are stored. Should be retrievable and changeable by someone who knows her/his hex editor.

But it's fraud. My thought was that they're normally sent out with the matching SIM card, but it was omitted in my case. Trying to get in contact with PowerBookMedic Customer Support.

I've programmed in hex back in the days of the Commodore 64. Do you mean you can launch a hex editor on a pc and alter the contents of the card? What hex editor would you use for that?

Update: I gather from talking to their customer support that it didn't even occur to them that there'd be this kind of limitation, and their technical support didn't even think there *was* an onboard SIM on these mobos. They wanted me to send them a picture with the SIM slot prominent. I don't know how you could miss it, but I complied. Haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #26
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
The device appears to be working properly.

Your only problem is with getting Amazon to accept it.
You need to deal with Amazon on that subject and/or the vendor of that board.
Not possible. In their words: "It's not supported." End of story. The devices are not designed to be repaired. If it breaks you replace it.

BTW, it won't even recognize AZW or AZW3 files whether they've been de-DRMed or not. It'll play MOBIs and PDFs, and that's about it. And TXT, I guess.

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-14-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #27
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Did you see somewhere that the file name was; "ENABLE_DIAGS.txt"?
If so, give a link so we can fix it.

Note: In Linux (all *nix, including MAC OSx) file names are case sensitive and the file name includes all characters.

PS: That "aux" antenna connector on your card is the GPS antenna connection (not used).
Actually, no. The instruction just said it was a text file, so I tried .txt first and it didn't work. I then saved a text file without the extension, and it worked.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #28
freewheeling
Nameless Being

PowerBookMedic has given me an RMA to return the motherboard, but I just wanted to check one last time to find out if anyone has any ideas about changing the serial number or getting it to work with my current SIM. What is a "board monitor" for instance. Is that a piece of specialized hardware?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
PowerBookMedic has given me an RMA to return the motherboard, but I just wanted to check one last time to find out if anyone has any ideas about changing the serial number or getting it to work with my current SIM. What is a "board monitor" for instance. Is that a piece of specialized hardware?
It sounds like it is a piece of specialized hardware.

I was looking at the K2 index page, not much of the activity ever got indexed - that is a really old machine that hasn't gotten much recent attention.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
It sounds like it is a piece of specialized hardware.

I was looking at the K2 index page, not much of the activity ever got indexed - that is a really old machine that hasn't gotten much recent attention.
Well, it's not like it comes from the 19th Century. We're talking new in 2010, so that's like 2 years. I have *actual books* that are over 70 years old. In fact, the Ramen noodles I just ate might be older than that Kindle 2. :-)

Also, it occurs to me that exactly the same tech is used in the Kindle Keyboard which is still being sold, and I'll bet the same message about the "board monitor" comes up in that.

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.