Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 AM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Converting EPUB to MOBI

Can anyone recommend a good way to convert an EPUB file to a MOBI on a Mac?

I just published my first epub to Amazon. It had a few minor errors, so I wanted to convert it to a MOBI myself and fix them, but I finally gave up.

I tried Kindlegen, but it doesn't work for me. I then discovered that you can do it with Kindle Previewer, but I got an error message saying I had to download some sort of Java program that I couldn't find. (Java and Apple both have information on it that just sends you in circles.)

I've read that Caliber can convert EPUB's to MOBI's. However, I also read that Amazon wants people to use its software. But would they even notice the difference?

Part of the problem might be Sierra. I've been using MAMP for web design (running El Capitan), and everything worked fine until I got some weird bug I couldn't fix. I upgraded to Sierra and MAMP 4.1.1, but I still couldn't get things working. So I tried installing the software myself, but none of the tutorials match my files.

I also had a security warning that initially prevented me from opening Kindlegen. So it kind of looks like Apple has more or less locked everything non-Apple out.

Thanks for any tips.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:21 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You don't want to convert to Mobi. You want to fix whatever is wrong with the ePub and then you convert with Kindlegen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2017, 05:13 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Amazon Kindles Nor Fire Don't even read epub....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
Shameless plug: Install Sigil and my KindleGen plugin. (You'll also have to install ActiveState TCL, if you haven't already done so and you'll also need to reinstall Kindle Previewer, if you've uninstalled it.)

If you've installed Kindle Previewer in the default location (i.e. in the Applications folder) my plugin should work out of the box with the macOS KindleGen binary bundled with Kindle Previewer, unless additional security checks were added in El Capitan. (The plugin was only tested with Yosemite.)

Quote:
I just published my first epub to Amazon. It had a few minor errors, so I wanted to convert it to a MOBI myself and fix them, but I finally gave up.
Have you checked your book with the IDPF online validator?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Amazon Kindles Nor Fire Don't even read epub....
Actually, the Fires can read ePub if you install an app to do so.

I don't know if you are replaying to my post or not, but since ePub is the source format, then it just makes sense to correct the errors in the ePub and then convert using Kindlegen.
Advert
Old 06-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I tried Kindlegen, but it doesn't work for me. I then discovered that you can do it with Kindle Previewer, but I got an error message saying I had to download some sort of Java program that I couldn't find. (Java and Apple both have information on it that just sends you in circles.)

I've read that Caliber can convert EPUB's to MOBI's. However, I also read that Amazon wants people to use its software. But would they even notice the difference?
I have heard of cases where Amazon sometimes rejects books converted using calibre. I would stick to kindlegen or one of the previewers, 2.x or 3.x. Previewer 3 has its own Java runtime and so doesn't need an external one installed.

I recommend figuring out why your Mac isn't running Amazon's software. The problems are most likely with your system. (I can't help since I don't use a Mac.)

Added: kindlegen produces Master MOBI files that include both the original MOBI format for older devices and the newer KF8/AZW3 format for newer ones. You really want that so that your readers experience all of the formatting in your book.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-05-2017 at 10:42 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Shameless plug: Install Sigil and my KindleGen plugin. . . .
Wow, great tips; I'll give them a try.

I just discovered that iBooks isn't working properly, either. If I double-click an epub, it still opens up in iBooks, which works fine. But the iBooks icon on the taskbar has been replaced by a question mark, and nothing happens if I click it.

Anyway, it looks like Apple was taking a few hints from Mickeysoft when they designed Sierra. I'll have to work out a few bugs.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
SigilBear
Banned

I had to download another software program to fix a KindleGen plugin bug, but it works great now. When I operate it, it points out two errors:

Warning: Missing TOC epub3 landmark: Use Add Semantics > Table of Contents to mark the TOC.
Warning: Missing SRL epub3 landmark: Use Add Semantics > Bodymatter to mark the SRL.

I don't understand what those are or how you fix them. I have files named nav.xhtml, toc.xhtml and toc.ncx

It sounds like "Add Semantics" wants me to add more information to the content.opf file.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Warning: Missing TOC epub3 landmark: Use Add Semantics > Table of Contents to mark the TOC.
KindleGen requires this information for generating the TOC for older Kindle models. Simply assign the Table of Contents semantics to toc.xhtml in Sigil via Add Semantics....

Quote:
Warning: Missing SRL epub3 landmark: Use Add Semantics > Bodymatter to mark the SRL.
The SRL (=Start Reading Location) is used to mark the beginning of the book, for example the first chapter or the prologue. Even though Amazon KDP appears to have deprecated this landmark/guide item, it couldn't hurt to include it.

BTW, Add Semantics is referring to a Sigil context menu option that is shown when you right-click a file in the Book Browser.

Last edited by Doitsu; 06-06-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Why are you making ePub 3? For ePub > Kindle, you don't need ePub 3. ePub 2 will do fine and it's easier to make.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I do this by uploading the epub to the KDP. I have never had a validated epub fail to convert just as I expected to. That is now about 26 books, though some of the early ones are coded rather roughly, usually because they were originally uploaded as Word docs.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
KindleGen requires this information for generating the TOC for older Kindle models...
Got it, thanks.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you making ePub 3? For ePub > Kindle, you don't need ePub 3. ePub 2 will do fine and it's easier to make.
When I first started learning about epubs, everyone told me to go with ePub 2. But one individual on this forum made a good argument for ePub 3, at the same time debunking some of the arguments in favor of ePub 2.

My understanding is that ePub 3 generally works as good as ePub 2 as long as you don't overload it with too much cutting edge code. On the other hand, if you decided you do want to add more advanced CSS, videos, etc., ePub 3 is the better platform.

So I've been converting my ePub 2 projects to ePub 3. I haven't noticed any different in difficulty.

Since the technology is constantly advancing, I figure ePub 3 will probably be the norm soon enough.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
SigilBear
Banned

I added the TOC Semantics, but SRL isn't even listed among the choices on my Sigil KindleGen plugin, even though I still get a SRL error. I just ignored the error and published it.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
I also had a security warning that initially prevented me from opening Kindlegen. So it kind of looks like Apple has more or less locked everything non-Apple out.
You've likely encountered "Gatekeeper", which has be part of the Mac OS for several versions now. It's an annoying little safety feature which can be disabled.

You will encounter it frequently when you install apps from sources other than either the Apple Store or from a few large software companies. When it happens, merely go to System Preferences and lick on the Security icon. There'll be a button in the lower portion of the panel that allows you to open it the file. You have another Mother-may-I dialog you have to OK when the installer launches and perhaps another the first time you launch the newly installed app.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote