Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
woodygirl
woodygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Can't connect to content server?

Help!
I haven't used Calibre in over 3 years. I just installed the newest version on my laptop, running Windows 8.1, and I keep getting this error message:
calibre, version 2.64.0
ERROR: Failed to start Content Server: Could not start the content server. Error:

error('No socket could be created',)

I cannot download any metadata, I'm assuming because of this?
I checked and the program is not being blocked by Windows firewall or any antivirus program. I just want to be able to download my metadata, I don't share across devices or anything like that.

I am not computer savvy enough to figure this out...help please!
woodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You have some sort of Network issue.

Metadata download is independent of the Content server.
Do you have more than 1 Network (eg WiFi and Wired) active?
Calibre may be attaching to the wrong one.
There Is a Tweak to force a port
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
woodygirl

I just have Wifi. Nothing changed on my laptop or my network from the last time I used Calibre. That is why I am utterly confused as to why nothing seems to be working right.

The error I get with the Metadata says there is no source, so I went to my plugins to update them, and I cannot. I get this error message:

calibre, version 2.64.0
ERROR: Update Check Failed: Unable to reach the plugin index page.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 434, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 61, in read_available_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\https.py", line 198, in get_https_resource_securely
File "httplib.py", line 1208, in connect
File "httplib.py", line 793, in connect
File "socket.py", line 553, in create_connection
gaierror: [Errno 11003] getaddrinfo failed
Old 08-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sounds like calibre is being blocked by a firewall on your PC.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
woodygirl

I turned my firewall completely off and I am still getting the same error message.
Advert
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygirl View Post
I turned my firewall completely off and I am still getting the same error message.
Does your WEB Browser work (Firefox, IE, Opera....)?
Otherwise: You appear to have another firewall (or malware infestation) interfering
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygirl View Post
Help!
I haven't used Calibre in over 3 years. I just installed the newest version on my laptop, running Windows 8.1, and I keep getting this error message:
calibre, version 2.64.0
ERROR: Failed to start Content Server: Could not start the content server. Error:

error('No socket could be created',)

I cannot download any metadata, I'm assuming because of this?
I checked and the program is not being blocked by Windows firewall or any antivirus program. I just want to be able to download my metadata, I don't share across devices or anything like that.

I am not computer savvy enough to figure this out...help please!
The first error means what it says - can't start server. Which means this is set

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	151083

Perhaps something significant (unbeknownst to you) has changed in your network setup during the last 3 years, and calibre is configured to work with the 'old network setup'. The simplest thing to do is to create a fresh configuration, you will lose all your global settings, plugins etc - but you will NOT lose your library of books. Here's how to do that
  • In main GUI program (library manager) go to Preferences->Miscellaneous and click Open configuration directory
  • That should open a folder in File Explorer named something like C:\Users\<your user name>\Appdata\Roaming\calibre.
  • Close calibre but leave the File Explorer window open
  • In the File Explorer window tap Backspace key
  • Now you should be in C:\Users\<your user name>\Appdata\Roaming with the calibre folder highlighted, rename it to something like calibre-old.
Start calibre and you will be taken through the First Time wizard.

You may have to 'hook' calibre up to your existing library via the Switch/Create Library function

If that doesn't solve your problems, then you can reverse the process by reinstating the configuration - close calibre, rename folder calibre to calibre-fresh and folder calibre-old to calibre.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-19-2016 at 10:59 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something, most likely your antivirus program is blocking calibre from connecting to the net.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote