Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
mpompey
mpompey began at the beginning.

Device: Android Phone SGS6
Computer does not seem to be a calibre content server

I just started seeing the following error message on my Samsung SGS6 after the latest CC update. The error occurs after I connect to my Calibre server and do a search for any title.

"The computer that Calibre Companion connected to does not seem to be a calibre content server. It did not provide any book information. Please verify the content server connection settings."

I get the same error message on my Samsung Tab 8.1 Pro.

I've restarted the server and machine and still get the same error.

I can connect to Calibre and browse By Newest, By Title, etc just fine. Its only when I search do I get that error.

MP
mpompey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpompey View Post
I just started seeing the following error message on my Samsung SGS6 after the latest CC update. The error occurs after I connect to my Calibre server and do a search for any title.

"The computer that Calibre Companion connected to does not seem to be a calibre content server. It did not provide any book information. Please verify the content server connection settings."

I get the same error message on my Samsung Tab 8.1 Pro.

I've restarted the server and machine and still get the same error.

I can connect to Calibre and browse By Newest, By Title, etc just fine. Its only when I search do I get that error.

MP
I do not get that error after a search. What version of calibre are you running as a content server? Are there any accented or non-letter characters in the search string such as a slash?

Please send me a CC debug log. Go to CC's settings, scroll to the bottom, and choose Send a debug log to MultiPie. Erase the MultiPie address, as you are dealing directly with me.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
mpompey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I do not get that error after a search. What version of calibre are you running as a content server? Are there any accented or non-letter characters in the search string such as a slash?
I'm running Calibre Server 2.17 64Bit

Quote:
Please send me a CC debug log. Go to CC's settings, scroll to the bottom, and choose Send a debug log to MultiPie. Erase the MultiPie address, as you are dealing directly with me.
I just sent the debug log via my gmail address.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is a fairly old version of Calibre. You can upgrade without difficulty.
I think there were some upgrades to better support new CC versions, as well.

I see a similar message occasionally after a long idle period. Usually a retry works.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The debug log shows that the search is finding zero books, something that is triggering a 3-year-old bug. I will fix it.

However, I am not yet sure that you are seeing some other problem. What happens if you search for something that will find a book, for example searching for the letter a? Be sure that if your content server is using a virtual library then there are books in that virtual library.
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
mpompey

When I perform a search that is guaranteed to bring back results, it shows
the list of books that were found, and displays the same error msg over the list of found titles. When I click okay to close the error box, CC disconnects from Calibre.

MP
Old 06-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
mpompey

I also updated to the latest version of Calibre Server.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpompey View Post
I also updated to the latest version of Calibre Server.
If you use the CLI

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-server.exe" --port 8083 --with-library C:\Users\xxx\MainLib
Unless you use a CLI argument, the server uses the last GUI viewed Library.

If you start the sever in the GUI, the GUI must remain running (and using the desired Library)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #9
mpompey

No I didn't use CLI to update server version. I'love make sure to restart calibre when I get home as I can't remember if I restarted it or not after the update.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Bah. My last response seems to have been tossed into the bit bucket. Sigh.

I can't repeat your problem and nothing in the debug log helps me.

Questions:

1) When you say "it shows the list of books that were found", are you really saying that the search found books then failed? This seems ot be impossible when looking at the code, so clearly something strange is going on.

2) Could you give me the exact search you are using?

3) Does your search make reference to calibre saved searches? That could lead to some mysterious failures.

4) Is this the error you are seeing?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	139176
Old 06-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #11
mpompey

Questions:
Quote:
1) When you say "it shows the list of books that were found", are you really saying that the search found books then failed? This seems ot be impossible when looking at the code, so clearly something strange is going on.
Yes, it brings back the list off books that satisfied the search in this case it was Stephen Baxter. It showed me all the books by Stephen Baxter that I had in Calibre. Then a few seconds later it displayed the error box.

Quote:
2) Could you give me the exact search you are using?
"Stephen Baxter" <--w/o quotes

Quote:
3) Does your search make reference to calibre saved searches? That could lead to some mysterious failures.
Not that I know of.

Quote:
4) Is this the error you are seeing?
Attachment 139176
Yes that is the error I am seeing on my phone and tablet.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #12
mpompey

Here is a screenshot from my phone:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error_msg.png
Views:	186
Size:	612.6 KB
ID:	139178  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-10-2015 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Image exceeded forum size rules to be inline. Moved image to attachment.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.

-- You lucked out this time.

The next time you post an image that is so obscenely large as the one you posted, and one that so flagrantly violates our Posting Guidelines, then your entire post will be deleted - by me.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-10-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #14
mpompey

Sorry about the attachment I did it from my phone using imgur. It won't happen again.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:01 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I am at a loss. I will release the version of CC that fixes the empty search problem in hopes that it is somehow related to what you are seeing.

EDIT: CC V3.6.10 released. Please let me know whether or not it fixes the problem.

Last edited by chaley; 06-11-2015 at 03:23 AM.