Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #856
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I should add that setting up a new Chromebook is also a joy, particularly if you're already using Google's services. Open the box, take out the Chromebook, plug it in, enter your WiFi password, enter your Google password.

That's it. You can be editing that document you were working on, with your full software, file and desktop environment available, within a couple of minutes.

Compare that to switching from one Windows machine to another.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #857
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I should add that setting up a new Chromebook is also a joy, particularly if you're already using Google's services. Open the box, take out the Chromebook, plug it in, enter your WiFi password, enter your Google password.

That's it. You can be editing that document you were working on, with your full software, file and desktop environment available, within a couple of minutes.

Compare that to switching from one Windows machine to another.

Graham
From reading the last few pages of comments, we find:

pluses-
1. Chromebook is cheap.
2. Doesn't require other or costly software.
3. Especially doesn't require the cost or time for Virus checkers or Firewalls or updates or new versions and such.
4. Interfaces seamlessly with the greatest Software Development of our time: Google.

minus's
1. Some people fear Google which gives us information, maps and Android, free storage, and "let me count the ways" it helps us.
2. Chrome isn't the old familiar Windows whom we love to hate with all its warts, but still it seems familiar though we never really understood it.
3. Mind you now, I still use Windows for the things that a Chromebook has not yet developed capability.
4, 5, 6, .... Finally, let us not underestimate the excitement that many of us feel at the chance Windows will give us soon for new adventure and excitement and money spent when Windows gives us the opportunity to update to Windows 10. Gee the thrill!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #858
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
4. Interfaces seamlessly with the greatest Software Development of our time: Google.

"...of our time!...."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #859
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Can you run multiple monitors on a Chromebook/Chromebox? I find that the most productivity enhancement the last few years comes from having a setup with several monitors to spread the desktop around. If Chrome handles that I'd consider switching.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #860
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Can you run multiple monitors on a Chromebook/Chromebox? I find that the most productivity enhancement the last few years comes from having a setup with several monitors to spread the desktop around. If Chrome handles that I'd consider switching.
I think you can. I've never tried, exactly, but I have hooked my Chromebook to my TV set via the HDMI port. I had to drag a browser window from the Chromebook screen to the TV screen, so it would look like you could have multiple monitors.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #861
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Yes you can
https://support.google.com/chromeboo.../1060909?hl=en

Connect to a monitor or TV

You can connect your Chromebook to a monitor or TV. After you connect, you can:

Extend your desktop to display across multiple screens.
Mirror your display to show the same image on your Chromebook and external monitor.
To project your Chromebook's screen on an external monitor or TV, connect the monitor to your Chromebook. To get the best possible resolution, use high-quality cables that don’t convert from one end to the other (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI, or DVI-to-DVI).

Single-link DVI adapters can only support low resolutions, depending on refresh rate. Passive HDMI-to-VGA or DP-to-VGA adapters aren’t supported on your Chromebook.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #862
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Much appreciated. I'll look into the hardware specifics. Have several monitors that I should be able to switch over, but the graphics support in the CPU seems to be limited. On my SP3 I run two WQHD over DP ports and one HD over USB. If a chromebook supports that I'm game.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:27 AM   #863
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Chromebooks are a browser-in-a-box, it is not that complicated a concept.
I think what's causing me some confusion is the mention of packaged apps outside the browser. I was always under the impression the OS is 100% browser based until I started reading all this
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #864
David Fitz
David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Ubuntu on Chromebook

Seems like a lot of the issues with Chromebooks that concern users here can be solved by installing ubuntu via crouton on the chromebook. For those who don't know what that means, it basically means you can very easily install Ubuntu, a fuly-fledged linux operating system, alongside Chrome OS and can even switch to it without rebooting the chromebook. By doing this, I am able to have a chromebook 90% of the time, but can run Calibre and other such programs, print from USB, and connect my Sony Reader all at the drop of a hat. With Wine installed on ubuntu (intel-based chromebooks only), I can even run windows programs with varying degrees of success.

It's definitely worth bearing this in mind for everyone, since it really is easy to install ubuntu this way...

Instructions

Last edited by David Fitz; 01-07-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Added easier, clearer instructions
David Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:22 AM   #865
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fitz View Post
Seems like a lot of the issues with Chromebooks that concern users here can be solved by installing ubuntu via crouton on the chromebook.
Crikey, now that's a selling point for a Chromebook for me
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #866
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
And also price, though that gap is closing, with Chromebook prices increasing, and Windows offering a free version (if I understand correctly).

When I got our Chromebooks, the price difference from a comparable Windows machine made the choice highly rational: need less, get less, spend less, fuss less.
Yeah, they have the "Windows with Bing" thing that is either super cheap or free for OEMs. That may be the same program as the "under certain screen sizes there is no price to license Windows" or it may be separate. I can't remember.

Personally, the low price of my first Chromebook only decided how easily I could try one out... I was going to purchase one no matter what it cost, because I love the idea and the OS/ecosystem.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #867
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
I think what's causing me some confusion is the mention of packaged apps outside the browser. I was always under the impression the OS is 100% browser based until I started reading all this
Those are all Chrome Apps, which run as a pluginized extension to the Chrome Browser.

Then there is Crouton of course, as mentioned above.

Since ChromeOS is a derivative of Ubuntu, it is easy (relatively speaking...) to run Ubuntu via a chroot, integrated into ChromeOS by simply running the extra bits via Crouton's magic.

Alternatively you can install Ubuntu the normal way, bootstrapped via ChrUbuntu.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #868
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Those are all Chrome Apps, which run as a pluginized extension to the Chrome Browser.
And leaston can see exactly what he'd get from these apps on a Chromebook by "installing" them from the Chrome Web Store onto his current PC, which, of course, needs the Chrome browser.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 PM   #869
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Chromebooks have forced low price windows chromebook killers to emerge. Thats a good thing.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #870
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Chromebooks have forced low price windows chromebook killers to emerge. Thats a good thing.
Yes indeed.

Just like the net-books forced MS to sell XP home for $5 to $10 to netbook manufactures to avoid an onslaught of Linux OS's.

The availability of a much cheaper product makes the more expensive products cheaper.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote