Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #886
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I am on a Chromebook now.

I do have available several other machines that I use when there is a need, but this little (added in edit- 11.8") Acer 4GB RAM, 320GB HD machine is just so convenient. It is is also very reliable.

And Chrome gets better and better.

Last edited by frahse; 04-05-2015 at 07:14 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #887
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Those ChromeOS sticks look fun too, and my wife liked the look of the Asus touchscreen Flip model.

The race upwards is underway as well with the new larger Chromebooks, the higher end Chromeboxes and the Pixel 2.

All good stuff.

Graham
I wish the article were clear on what connector the stick uses. I'm guessing it's HDMI, as it's extremely common, though still not entirely universal when it comes to computer monitors.

Last edited by Dylrob; 04-07-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:16 AM   #888
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I wish the article were clear on what connector the stick uses. I'm guessing it's HDMI, as it's extremely common, though still not entirely universal when it comes to computer monitors.
Yes, it's HDMI. My guess is that the stick is aimed more at use with TVs - both domestic and in meeting rooms for business presentations - than desktop computer monitor use.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:53 AM   #889
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Somehow, I doubt that Snowden owns a Chromebook. Perhaps he owns an Oakbook.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #890
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
I did the math. For $250, I got a 13.3 1080p Chromebook. For $250, I could get a cheap Windows laptop with a slow processor. I could buy an SSD for it for $75. Add 4GB of RAM (4 is much too little for Windows IMO) for another $50. Buy antivirus for $30/year. And wait... And wait... And wait...

My Chromebook is fast. Really fast. Light. 12+ hours of battery life the way I use it. Perfect for me.
What Chromebook do you have? I'm starting to look into them for my mom, and I just don't have a good reference point as to what is cheap crap, and what is a good deal.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #891
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
What Chromebook do you have? I'm starting to look into them for my mom, and I just don't have a good reference point as to what is cheap crap, and what is a good deal.
I think any of the new Chromebooks will do, but
you might want something special.
1 a bigger screen than 11.8"
2 a touch screen
3 IPS
4 more storage than 16 or 32 GB. You can get Chromebooks with HDDs.
5 longer battery life ( 8 hours or better). I did buy a second "backup" battery for my $219 (11.8" with 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD) Acer.

The thing I still don't like about Chromebooks is their inability to directly hook up to a "legacy -non wi-fi" printer. You have to either have a wi-fi printer or a MS OS or Apple computer hooked up to a legacy printer to print. As an engineer I don't see any problem putting in a printer driver on a Chromebook.

One nice thing about the setup though is that if you put the Chrome browser on any computer anywhere you are able to print on that printer. [It provides you with a Printer Network.]

One wonderful thing in particular I like about Chromebook is not having to deal with Virus Software. I just switched my MS OS computers to McAfee from Bitdefender. I bought a $21 McAfee package that treats 3 computers for 1 year for $21 but the de-installation and installation was a pain. I spent 3 hours on the phone to barely English speaking customer reps trying to get the Product Key to work and finally just ordered a replacement package from Amazon. (Next time I will do that right away.)

I have a 4th old XP machine on a free AVAST antivirus. This machine wouldn't handle the modern Norton or Bitdefender but is only used to run the printer, format some stock trading printouts, and download occasional videos.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #892
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
The thing I still don't like about Chromebooks is their inability to directly hook up to a "legacy -non wi-fi" printer. You have to either have a wi-fi printer or a MS OS or Apple computer hooked up to a legacy printer to print. As an engineer I don't see any problem putting in a printer driver on a Chromebook.
I didn't know about this. That could be an issue. I'll have to check what printer she has.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #893
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
As an engineer I don't see any problem putting in a printer driver on a Chromebook.
As a support tech, I see an issue with having to support the Chromebook target audience with a mix of dozens of different print drivers for hundreds of different printer models.

Nonetheless, I would have preferred some kind local print support as well.
It's not like they offer great support for Google Cloud Print issues even with new printers anyway, so if they are willing to give bad support there, they could at least have also given bad support on, say, half a dozen of the most popular compatibility-mode printer drivers: PS Level 2, HPL5, Text, etc.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #894
frahse
occasional author

At home, all current "working" computers except 1 are laptops. The exception is an older desktop and I keep it hooked up to an old HP 932c printer that just keeps on working like one of those battery bunnies in the tv ads.

We could hook the printer up to any of the laptops (except the chromebook) and eveything would work, but then if the laptop was removed, NO PRINTING. So we have it on the desktop which is also hooked into the router/modem.

When the desktop finally fails, I will just get a "wireless" printer. They are very inexpensive these days.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #895
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I had to get a new printer recently I purchased a Brother multifunction laser and have had no issues with its Google Cloud Print feature. Its wired not wireless but works like a charm with my Chromebook (albeit without the ability to scan to the Chromebook).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #896
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
albeit without the ability to scan to the Chromebook.
I helped a friend set up a very cheap HP all in one printer for use with her iPad. It had an html web scanning interface where you use a browser to control the scanner and download the resulting image just as if you were downloading a pic from the web. It would be ideal for.a chromebook-only setup.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #897
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I helped a friend set up a very cheap HP all in one printer for use with her iPad. It had an html web scanning interface where you use a browser to control the scanner and download the resulting image just as if you were downloading a pic from the web. It would be ideal for.a chromebook-only setup.
I have a printer that does that, the only problem is that the local ip changes often. It also has an email-to-print function that works quite well.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #898
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Scanning should be supported by Chromebooks reasonably soon:

http://www.chromestory.com/2015/02/c...r-chromebooks/

The new API's been released to the beta channel. Not yet on the stable channel, as far as I'm aware.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #899
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I have a printer that does that, the only problem is that the local ip changes often. It also has an email-to-print function that works quite well.
You should be able to define a static IP address in the printer.

Disable DHCP and set an IP address.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #900
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My standard approach is to leave DHCP enabled but to assign a static IP address on the DHCP server for the printer.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote