Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #61
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The metal isn't all that much of an issue because with a cover, you won't be feeling the back.
The Barnes and Noble book-style cover leaves the side exposed when folded back where you rest your hand. The metal feels cold similar to complaints about some of the old Sony readers. The power button is also on that side and awkward to turn on and off. Too bad it's not an auto-sleep/wake cover.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #62
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
Quote:
The metal isn't all that much of an issue because with a cover, you won't be feeling the back.
I prefer to use sleeves for eReaders to keep the weight and bulk down. I'd do the same for the iPad but alas, slippery metal back.

It's a minor nitpick but it matters to me on a device I use as much as an eReader.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
I prefer to use sleeves for eReaders to keep the weight and bulk down. I'd do the same for the iPad but alas, slippery metal back.

It's a minor nitpick but it matters to me on a device I use as much as an eReader.
A sleeve is not very useful as you have to remove the sleeve to use the Reader. Most sleeves do not fit the Reader with a cover. And when the Reader is out of the sleeve, you lose any sort of protection that a cover can give. So really, a sleeve doesn't do much good overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #64
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
Quote:
A sleeve is not very useful as you have to remove the sleeve to use the Reader. Most sleeves do not fit the Reader with a cover. And when the Reader is out of the sleeve, you lose any sort of protection that a cover can give. So really, a sleeve doesn't do much good overall.
When the eReader is out of the sleeve, I'm using it. Protection, at that point, is in my hands - quite literally. I've found myself a perfectly trustworthy pair of hands in that regard.

Rest assured, I'm not the complete idiot that you think I may be that I can't figure out an adequate protection scheme for my eReaders.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #65
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
The back of the device wasn't an issue, it's the way it wraps around to the front. It's not smooth like an iPad. Instead they made it sharp. It could be an annoyance even in a case if you have your hand on the device holding it. Very bizarre design choice.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #66
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Not everyone chooses to use a cover, and yes that's okay. I use a sleeve with my device to protect it when not in use and that's how I prefer to do things.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #67
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Jon: we get it. You don't think any reader should ever be without a cover. We understand you are an evangelist on that point. But PLEASE could you stop hijacking every thread where someone mentions not using a cover (or as the case in this thread merely implies it). It gets old real fast.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #68
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
I put protective skins (as soon as one is available from Skin-It or Decalgirl) on all of my electronics.
I haven't felt the actual back of my old Dell Streak (now sitting on its cradle and recycled into my bedside alarm clock) since the week after I bought it.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I looked at one in the store today, and for normal page turns I didn't see any full page flash/refresh; I turned at least ten pages and there was no flash.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I looked at one in the store today, and for normal page turns I didn't see any full page flash/refresh; I turned at least ten pages and there was no flash.
That seems to be the case for all devices with a Carta screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #71
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That seems to be the case for all devices with a Carta screen.
I don't think so. I believe my Kobo Glo HD is Carta, and I have it set to refresh every 6 pages. I thought the Voyage and PW3 refreshed every N pages?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I see the flash on my H2O.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #73
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Waiting for the special offer...

This does look well and I will get one when the trade-in offer happens late next month.

The finish on the edge of the metal is poor and the front pattern is icky.

If it weren't for the screen I would pass.

Last edited by detayls; 10-25-2015 at 05:51 PM.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #74
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
So it doesn't look like there's any kind of cover over the micro USB port? How is it waterproof? One thing that annoys me about my H2O is that when I want to pop it on to the computer for just a second, I have to fiddle with the cover which is not easy to remove.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:26 AM   #75
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I think it's a solid product by B&N but it is not for me.
I went to Barnes & Noble and saw one earlier tonight (last night I guess) and pretty much agree with everything you say. Comparing this to my old Nook Simple Touch ... I like the shape and feel of the NST better. I was surprised that I found the metal cold and slippery also. (I actually kind of liked the feel of the old Sonys but they seemed more "porous" and "grippy" or "brushed" -- if that makes sense.) I like the page turn buttons on the NST better. Of course the screen clarity is much better on the Glowlight Plus. What did bother me about the screen (and it may have been the light in the store) was that the it seemed just about right in brightness -- and I was surprised to see that it was turned all the way up. I also noticed the metal along the edge of the face -- and that really does seem "sloppy." The odd-textured bezel that some folks mentioned, didn't bother me at all (I actually kind of liked it). And I didn't like the non-mechanical "Nook" button on the bottom. It seemed unresponsive to me.

All that said ... I could get used to the hardware and would probably use a case anyhow. What did bother me is that, in my opinion, they went backwards with software features. I don't like the book title on every page -- and, as Barty wrote -- there doesn't seem to any way to turn it off. Actually the Settings Menu in the Glowlight Plus seems much more sparse than in the NST. Barty is also right about the way font size works now ... it's slow and silly not to have the sizes just laid out in a row. I also didn't like the way that the font settings have now moved to the top -- and menu items (in general) seem to open haphazardly wherever the device wants -- instead of opening at the bottom as they do with the NST. I personally miss the Caecilia font (the font I normally use on the NST because it's dark).

Does all this mean I would never buy a Glowlight Glow. Probably not. I've tried and occasionally use a Kobo Glo -- though I think it also suffers from haphazard menus. But combine this with changes B&N made with downloading books and I probably won't buy one of these -- even for a general ePub reader. I'm still happy B&N came out with a new eInk reader. I do wish they had more closely retained the features and layout of the NST.

For what it's worth.

I should add something positive ... The Georgia font, to me, looked sharp, clear and dark. You could adjust the margins right to the edge (I preferred the middle margin setting -- at least for the particular book I was testing). The backlight was uniform and -- and far as I could tell -- completely unblemished. (Granted, I only gave it about a five minute test.) The screen, itself, was responsive (unlike the "Nook" button). Despite some design choices I didn't particularly like, this eReader is not junk.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-27-2015 at 03:43 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote