Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
YulyFeline
YulyFeline began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help understanding please.

I'm a long term user of Calibre on my laptop and now have a tablet so I downloaded the Calibre App from Playstore. Then after further research I loaded Calibre Companion. I've connected CC to my laptop Calibre via Wi-Fi but don't understand if I have to connect CC to the Calibre App.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers - Yuly (Australian - Sydneysider).
YulyFeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, but what it's the "calibre app"? Do you mean leger calibre?

In any event, CC (calibre companion) works only with the calibre program that runs on your laptop our desktop. Calibre does not run on a tablet. There are some tablet/phone apps that can read calibre's database, for example leger calibre, but these apps are not the same as or as capable as calibre.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Good morning from Launceston, Yuly, and welcome to MobileRead.

I have calibre on my Windows 7 Thinkpad, the Calibre Companion app on my Nexus 7, and have access to a WiFi network.

The way I use Calibre Companion to transfer ebooks from the Thinkpad to the Nexus 7 is:
- have calibre open on the Thinkpad with no ebook reader devices attached, and have Calibre Companion open on the Nexus 7.
- on calibre select Connect/share, then open wireless connection, then OK - I don't use a password
- on Calibre Companion on the Nexus 7 select connect, then As wireless device - you will see the On device column open in calibre.
- on calibre select the ebook to be transferred, then Send to device. The activity wheel rotates on calibre during the transfer, and then a green tick appears in the On device column. On the Nexus 7 the book title appears in the list of books.

This process can repeated as many times as needed, or several ebooks can be selected to be transferred in the same session.

- To finish select disconnect on the Nexus 7, and on calibre select Stop wireless device connection.

This may not be the best or official way of transferring ebooks, but it works for me. I hope you find it helpful.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

If you do as AlexBell outlines you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YulyFeline View Post
I'm a long term user of Calibre on my laptop and now have a tablet so I downloaded the Calibre App from Playstore.
Just to be clear there is no "Official" calibre app. There are apps in the Play store with various names that are created by third parties to assist you in getting books from calibre to your tablet. Most of the apps utilize the calibre content server to download books from calibre to your tablet.

Quote:
Then after further research I loaded Calibre Companion.
Congrats you have managed to find the only app, that I am aware of, that allows you to connect your tablet directly to calibre as a device. As a bonus the developer (chaley) is one of the main contributors to calibre, so many of the features you enjoy in calibre were developed by him.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-21-2014 at 10:02 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
YulyFeline

Ahhh so this site "https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tonymaro.calibreLibrary.apk" is not associated with the desktop Calibre. Can understand that now as the app is kinda skinny.
Thanks AlexBell, Have been to Lonni (?) and had a great time. Tassie is a wonderful place to visit. Was there and got caught in the aftermath of a woman jumping off the bridge over the Gorge.
I now intend to delete the Calibre App but am perplexed as CC says to use a 'reader app to read a book'. Any suggestions ?
Again thanks to all for the assistance.
Cheers - Yuly
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I now intend to delete the Calibre App but am perplexed as CC says to use a 'reader app to read a book'. Any suggestions ?
Again thanks to all for the assistance.
Cheers - Yuly
None of the calibre helper apps contain readers -- the app that shows you the contents of a book so you can read it.

There are many reader apps available, most with free versions so you can try them. Search for "reader" in the google play store. Some of them that I have tried are Moon+, FBReader, Mantano, and Cool Reader. There are many others that some people swear by such as Kobo and Aldiko, but these don't work as well with CC as the first ones I listed. There are several others that I haven't ever tried.

The choice of which app is a highly personal thing. The apps display the books slightly differently, have different options, have different ways of changing size & brightness etc., and so on.

I happen to like Moon+ because it syncs between my devices, supports swipe to change brightness and fontsize, and has a nice day/night scheme. I am less fussed than many about exactly how the text is laid out or whether style sheets are fully respected, which is a criticism of Moon+. In fact, I tell Moon+ to ignore CSS.

Experiment and choose.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
YulyFeline

I have now downloaded Moon+, have also fiddled with importing and now the tablet is powered off in the hope something may happen overnight.
Good night.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Congrats you have managed to find the only app, that I am aware of, that allows you to connect your tablet directly to calibre as a device. As a bonus the developer (chaley) is one of the main contributors to calibre, so many of the features you enjoy in calibre were developed by him.
Calibre Sync does as well. But CC is much nicer
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

google also do a reader app - google books,that can work both online & offline. Overdrive is another free reader app that gives you access to library book on most tablets- sign up with your local library for e-book loans

Amazon do an kindle for android app for their store , As do Kobo for theirs.

So much choice

Wikipedia is usually a good place for comparisons & there is a very detailed table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...eader_software
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Calibre Sync does as well. But CC is much nicer
Thanks for the update.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I also appreciate the usefullness of calibre and calibre companion. I have recently installed calibre companion on 3 different tablets. But I notice that cc downloads the ebooks to the main drive of my tablets....is there a way that I can download to the memory cards instead? I like keeping my ebooks on the memory cards rather than the actual tablet. Is that possible to do? I have searched the internet and haven't found an answer to this. I hope someone here at this forum has an answer.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
I also appreciate the usefullness of calibre and calibre companion. I have recently installed calibre companion on 3 different tablets. But I notice that cc downloads the ebooks to the main drive of my tablets....is there a way that I can download to the memory cards instead? I like keeping my ebooks on the memory cards rather than the actual tablet. Is that possible to do? I have searched the internet and haven't found an answer to this. I hope someone here at this forum has an answer.
Yes, you can put books on the SD card as long as your device is not running Android 4.4 (KitKat).

See How do I put my books on an SD card? in CC's FAQ for instructions on how to move your library to the SD card and more discussion about Android 4.4. The thread Android 4.4 (KitKat) breaks CC writing to removable SD cards also discusses SD cards and KitKat.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Thank you for that link, chaley. It took a bit of fiddling, but I followed the directions VERY carefully. It worked and now I am very happy with CC. Luckily my devices are not running 4.4 .
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote