Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2019, 01:41 AM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Device won't sync

Not sure if this should be here, but I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 (newest version) with the 5.12.2 update

Don't know what happened, but between plugins it stopped being read by Calibre

calibre, version 4.6.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 22] invalid mode ('wbN') or filename: u'E:\\metadata.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 513, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 407, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 304, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 457, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 454, in write_prefix
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 169, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wbN') or filename: u'E:\\metadata.calibre'

Any suggestions? I tried to configure the device, checked for problems on the memory, but Calibre reads the books to about 60% then I get the error.

UPDATE: I needed to update the device

Last edited by Rellwood; 12-21-2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:08 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Not sure if this should be here, but I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 (newest version) with the 5.12.2 update

Don't know what happened, but between plugins it stopped being read by Calibre

calibre, version 4.6.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 22] invalid mode ('wbN') or filename: u'E:\\metadata.calibre'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 513, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\driver.py", line 407, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 304, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 457, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 454, in write_prefix
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 169, in local_open
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wbN') or filename: u'E:\\metadata.calibre'

Any suggestions? I tried to configure the device, checked for problems on the memory, but Calibre reads the books to about 60% then I get the error.

UPDATE: I needed to update the device
That file IS on the device. (it is the previous found book list that also speeds up the later connect scan)
That, coupled with 'reads a book 60%' makes me think the filesystem or storage ON THE DEVICE, is damaged or failing.
Standard Q: Have you cold booted (used the restart item on the settings menu) the Kindle
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I think I made the mistake of disconnecting it premeturely last time I was trying to sync it.

Long story short, I have two user accounts on the same computer.

When my Kindle was plugged in and syncing with the Calibre on my main user account, I switched users without ejecting or logging off.

After switching users, and starting Calibre (I have two user accounts so that I can keep working on another library while Calibre pluggs away dealing with some time-extensive job that otherwise would have me twiddling my thumbs)

When Calibre started up on the second user, I forgot that the Kindle was still plugged in and likely running on another library. I yanked out the usb cord and did a very bad disconnect.

When I returned back to the main library on my main user account (after logging off the second account). This was when I had problems.

What would happen is that Calibre would load the booklist from the Kindle, but at about 60% it would get that error I posted.

I updated the firmware, but still kept getting that error.

So...I figured on trying to load it up on that second account. When I attached the Kindle, I got that "scan and fix" option, so I did.

Once that was done, Calibre was able to get the booklist and send the metadata to the device. Up until that point the metadata file on the device was 0 bytes.

So, I suspect this was a very user-specific problem, and I learned my lesson

The books read fine on the device. It was the getting of the booklist that kept erroring out at 60%
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote