Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
askmo
askmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Safe to 1st time connect Kindle over public wi-fi?

I've just got Kindle 3 and has to connect it to wi-fi network for K3 to get registered and to activate functionalities (such as creating collections, etc). I do not have wi-fi connection at home so I'd have to do it in a cafe via public wi-fi.

How safe is it? After all, I need to send the username and password of the Amazon account my credit card is registered to.

I know how safe is to share data via private networks, but I do not know what kind of built-in security Kindle 3 has.

Anyone could help me?
askmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The connection to Amazon is encrypted so you're safe.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
askmo

Just one more thing. After I enter a username and password, a browser will open directing to the regular Amazon https login page? No out-of browser connections?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmo View Post
Just one more thing. After I enter a username and password, a browser will open directing to the regular Amazon https login page? No out-of browser connections?
Not sure what you're asking here?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Don0801
Don0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle 3 wi-fi
Quote:
No, you won't see a "browser".
Don0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
askmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Not sure what you're asking here?
From Home screen on Kindle 3 I go to Menu->Settings->Register, then I have to enter email address and password for the Amazon account (and I am still not connected to any wi-fi network) and then to click 'Submit' button. After this step, I get an error saying "0 Wi-fi networks found" (which is logical as I do not have any wi-fi device at home).

As I cannot proceed to further steps without Wi-Fi connection, I do not know what is happening after the "submit button" step. That is why I asked if :

1. the K3 will open its browser showing the Amazon.com login page with HTTPS encryption, or

2. the K3 will send the email and password to Amazon network in some other way (without opening browser and amazon.com web page)

If you still do not know what I refer to, could you please explain to me how do you connect to a wi-fi Internet on your K3? What are the steps?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
askmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0801 View Post
No, you won't see a "browser".
Hmmm, so how do I know that this steps goes via safe encrypted channel???
Old 09-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
i also had to connect to a public network since i don't have wifi at home.
after i connected, i indeed submitted my email and password in the "register" option of your "menu" and as far as i remember that was that, no browser, nada. since it had already been registered to my amazon account, prior to it actually getting here thanks to the good people of amazon, it was instantly renamed from "my kindle" to "badger's kindle" and thus registered.

don't know if it helps with your fear, but what about changing your password after accessing a public network?
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru

The registration process doesn't go via the browser but it is using HTTPS to talk to the Amazon servers.

The Kindle store does use the built in browser and again it uses HTTPS except for downloading images like the covers in the store which are unencrypted.

I know it uses encryption because I can see what it is doing on the network. You'll either have to trust us on this or do your own testing.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
askmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
i also had to connect to a public network since i don't have wifi at home.
after i connected, i indeed submitted my email and password in the "register" option of your "menu" and as far as i remember that was that, no browser, nada. since it had already been registered to my amazon account, prior to it actually getting here thanks to the good people of amazon, it was instantly renamed from "my kindle" to "badger's kindle" and thus registered.

don't know if it helps with your fear, but what about changing your password after accessing a public network?
This is what I will do as well. Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
askmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The registration process doesn't go via the browser but it is using HTTPS to talk to the Amazon servers.

The Kindle store does use the built in browser and again it uses HTTPS except for downloading images like the covers in the store which are unencrypted.

I know it uses encryption because I can see what it is doing on the network. You'll either have to trust us on this or do your own testing.
I do not question your knowledge, I only wanted to know if you are sure or you think that it uses encryption. Sorry if my post was rude.

PS. you helped me as well
Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
I do not question your knowledge, I only wanted to know if you are sure or you think that it uses encryption. Sorry if my post was rude.
Nope. Didn't consider it rude at all. It is good to be cautious if your account details could be at risk. Better to ask more questions now than to find out somebody has broken in later.

The actual registration and store access portions of the Kindle are encrypted but any other site you access via the browser won't be unless it also redirects you to a secure site. e.g. If your webmail service doesn't use encryption then don't use it via the Kindle (or any other device if you're using it from a public WiFi hotspot)