Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
JoshLessard
Enthusiast
JoshLessard began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kindle 3???
Advice on reader purchase

Hello. I would like to purchase an ebook reader (actually, I have one but will probably be returning it), and I would appreciate some advice. My main criteria are:

1) Supports ePub well. I'm not interested in a closed system where I'm limited to purchases from only one ebook store (i.e. Kindle). Unless the Kindle also would allow me to buy ebooks from, say, kobobooks.com.

2) Good contrast and low glare. I purchased a Sony PRS-600 because it satisfies criteria 1, 3 and 4, but the contrast and glare from the screen are horrible. Text is a darkish grey on a lightish grey rather than nearly black on off-white. Gives me a headache to read it.

3) PDF reflow. I have a lot of computer programming books in PDF format that I want to be able to read, and I don't want to have to constantly pan if I make the text bigger.

4) Skip-to-page. Many PDFs are not broken down by chapter, and I don't want to have to hit "next page" 800 times to get to page 800.

Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JoshLessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Josh. If you can lay hands on the Sony PRS-505, that would solve the glare problem. But it doesn't handle PDFs well. I've seen a couple of readers recommended here that seem to cope with PDF flow but can't remember off hand what they are. I'm sure someone will step into this thread soon to remind us. Good luck. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
JoshLessard
Enthusiast

Hi Neil. Thanks for the tip. I've looked at the PRS-505, and I would probably have grabbed one if they were still available.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Well, if you like the PRS 505, then yo will love the 900. I did not suggest it - as you want hi contrast and low glare, and well, no SONY reader shines in that regard.

But it does meet your other criteria.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
JoshLessard
Enthusiast

The non-touch Sony devices have much better contrast than the touch devices do. I think after experiencing the PRS-600, I'm going to stay away from touchscreen eReaders.

Any chance you can recommend a non-touchscreen device that meets the criteria I've layed out?

Thanks all.
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I don't have one but it sounds like you'd like the Onyx Boox/BeBook Neo. They are touchscreen, but the touchscreen is underneath the e-ink layer so it doesn't interfere with contrast. You need to use a stylus for the screen -- fingers don't work.

I don't know about #4 for this device but a quick post in the appropriate forum would get an answer.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
#4 Onyx Boox/Bebook Neo has skip-to-page
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
JoshLessard
Enthusiast

Are there any brick-and-mortar stores in Canada that carry the Onyx/BeBook?

Thanks all.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
The Nook should suit your needs quite well seems to hit on ever point of yours. plus it has one of if not the best contrast screens in the business. And with the latest price cut, among the best value's out their.

Sony has yet to respond making them a difficult choice, value wise IMHO.

solid e-reader
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***I've looked at the PRS-505, and I would probably have grabbed one if they were still available***

They pop up quite often in the *Flea Market* forum here, John. But you have to keep your eyes open because they seem to be snapped up PDQ. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote