Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Any one interested in an old indians tale?

I've some old papers from my fathers father, the self described "half blood Cherokee Indian".

Believe it or not I have never read them, and still haven't.

Part of them (there's only about a hundred pages) tells the story of his life. I never knew him but was told that he was on the last cattle drive up from Texas.

Some of the papers seem to be stories written by him. I'm slao told that he had a "ghost writer" helping him write these stories.

Anyway, if there's enough interest I could try to turn them into an ebook, free ofcourse. But only if there's enough interest .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMPLE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bible record shows that Robert Tilghman Graeme was born at the Red River crossing, Indian Territory, July 8, 1878. Mother was half blood Cherokee Indian with English Father. My father was a Kentucky born Scot and was raised a cowboy in Texas. Mama died from a rattle-snake bite when she reached into a wild turkey nest for some eggs to bake a cake on my 6th birthday. Daddy was killed in a gun fight with Apache Indian horse thieves on the Mexico side of the Rio Grande near El Paso, Texas, when I was about 8. Then a Tonkawa Indian scout took me on horseback some 500 miles from dad's hoarse camp on the Pecos river to Grandma Caradine's Buffalo robe wigwam home in a bone-gatherer's Cherokee Indian camp near Fort Sill, I. T. where I lived to almost 11, when Granny died of small pox. (Granny was full blood Cherokee, born and raised in Cherokee Nation, in Northwest Indian Territory.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is enough interest, how do you want it? Most of it is like the above - few paragraphs, some typos, etc.

One thing that I will not change ( if I'm aware of it at all) is modern - historical changes. Today we would say "a pod of whales". But in fact they used to say "a school of whales".

Formating on the other hand I can see. Long paragraphs do not make a pleasant read.

Anyone interested?

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-23-2010 at 11:10 AM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i think this would be a very interesting ebook, i'd love to read it. i am going to take the liberty of changing your title though, unless you'll also be proposing other old indian appendages (i didn't know indians had tails, actually. ). (oh, those typos !)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It sounds interesting. I think you should move on with the project.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
If there is enough interest, how do you want it? Most of it is like the above - few paragraphs, some typos, etc.

Anyone interested?
It sounds fascinating. First-hand accounts usually are. First task is to transcribe. And then to edit it into shape. After that converting to any ebook format is essentially a mechanical task.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I think you should go ahead with the project if for no other reason than other family members who may be interested. It seems like an interesting story in its own rights, and assuming you have descendants, one day they will probably be grateful for your efforts.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Well, I for one would read it.

But go ahead regardless - you may learn more about the old man and see him in a different light. I'd do it just because the curiosity would kill me otherwise.

PS: I'do it refers to reading the papers and completing the story
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I would read it... Sounds really interesting.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
For the six who are interested, I'll start to enter his first story.

Some changes will be made for readability. Harder will be editing the run-on sentences. At times he used capital letters where we wouldn't. And in some places he uses words in ways that we no longer do. And then some words (and their spellings) I have to take at face value as common for that time and place.

"Heartsick and sobbing, I laid a single Texas bluebonnet wild flower over where I thought her head would be."

The Scots, Irish, and American indians have traveled far our histories. We do not always know where the bone of our ancestors lay, nor where ours will lie in the end.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Some changes will be made for readability. Harder will be editing the run-on sentences. At times he used capital letters where we wouldn't. And in some places he uses words in ways that we no longer do. And then some words (and their spellings) I have to take at face value as common for that time and place.
I'd suggest that you make as few changes as possible. Especially changes to actual words, as opposed to changes to capitalisation, punctuation and spelling.

I look forward to seeing the result.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Can't wait for the story.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I say do it - this kind of thing is important to the country, and especially to your own family!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote