Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #76
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I think definitely Saturday, 23 August. I suggested Austin since it seems central to those MR folks who have put pins into the Frappr map. I don't know Austin so will be trying to find someone to recommend a meeting place. Killeen might be as easy for most people to get to, and if you wanted to help with "local logistics", maybe we divert to there instead of Austin.
Killeen is certainly less congested than Austin. We have more than our fair share of places to eat, drink, and be merry. So if you want to do it here I would take care of the logistics.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #77
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Yes, vbulletin (the software running this site) uses AJAX heavily. AJAX = Asynchronous JavaScript And XML, I think.
Egads! I can't escape work topics, even at one of my favorite online watering holes. I'm beginning work on developing a seminar to teach Web 2.0 concepts (including Ajax) to mainframe computer programmers.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #78
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Egads! I can't escape work topics, even at one of my favorite online watering holes. I'm beginning work on developing a seminar to teach Web 2.0 concepts (including Ajax) to mainframe computer programmers.
well... this is an pretty geeky forum, you know, even as forums go... (that might be a pleonasm).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #79
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
One job I had for a year was converting mainframe COBOL to PC COBOL, and then again to C#, and teaching the rest of the programming staff how to work with C#. Today I do a lot of training and curriculum development work, and travel.

We should compare our calendars, as I'm sure we've been in the same airports at the same times often enough. We could have a drink and compare notes.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #80
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmmm... starting to wonder whether taylor and elsi are secretly the same person. has anyone ever seen them in the same room at the same time ???
Advert
Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #81
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, taylor is wearing a dress.

And all we see of Elsi is a drawing....

Hmmmmm.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:11 AM   #82
zelda_pinwheel

yep. seems fishy to me.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #83
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Next to a blue one, of course.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #84
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Next to a blue one, of course.
that goes without saying, obviously.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #85
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Mer... I won't be in TX the weekend of the 23rd, I'll be visiting DC. But the DC people are having their meet-up then, so I might be able to go!
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #86
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
Mer... I won't be in TX the weekend of the 23rd, I'll be visiting DC.
i guess you'll just have to organise a second one then, in a few months.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #87
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yep. seems fishy to me.
You mean fishnets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
And they both have a city named "Paris".

I can only conclude that all like sized plots of land have cities named "Paris".

Il est raisonnable, non ?
We also have a Paris in Virginia and we are far smaller than Texas (in size of total land.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #88
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
We also have a Paris in Virginia and we are far smaller than Texas (in size of total land.)
That's the "Paris of the Eastern Seaboard."
Old 08-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #89
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Elsi, I can't be certain I can make it on Aug. 23. I now have a work function that I will likely (but not yet definitely) need to attend that day. I thought I'd give you as much warning as possible as to my uncertainty. Of course, I've been away for the last two weeks from MR and people are now talking about epub (may I have a pint of Newcastle Brown, please? will I be able to drink that on my 500 or do I need to upgrade to the 505?) and all sorts of bizarre things I would never share with my children. So, for all I know, the Texas meet-up might have been rescheduled for Marc's place for last Tuesday. I'll try to catch up a bit.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #90
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Elsi, I can't be certain I can make it on Aug. 23. I now have a work function that I will likely (but not yet definitely) need to attend that day. I thought I'd give you as much warning as possible as to my uncertainty. Of course, I've been away for the last two weeks from MR and people are now talking about epub (may I have a pint of Newcastle Brown, please? will I be able to drink that on my 500 or do I need to upgrade to the 505?) and all sorts of bizarre things I would never share with my children. So, for all I know, the Texas meet-up might have been rescheduled for Marc's place for last Tuesday. I'll try to catch up a bit.
It's OK. My hubby shuddered when I told him I had scheduled something in Austin on the 23rd since we're vacationing in Colorado the week before and he will have just driven us home from San Jose (by way of Colorado). He's not terribly keen on driving me to Austin -- but I can drive myself down if he's just too wiped out.

I talked with the manager of a Panera Bread in Austin -- located on Bee Cave Road. He's happy for us to meet there on Saturday afternoon. With the free Wi-Fi, those of us who are Internet junkies can get a fix -- and we might try live posting on MobileRead from the meet-up.

If the location is fine with everyone -- well, at least those who are able to come to Austin -- then I'm going to suggest planning for a 2-5 gathering at Panera Bread, Bee Cave Road in Austin.

I didn't see any other comments about Killeen as an alternate location, but if imaredr wants to line up a location and logistics there, it's definitely a shorter drive for me.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, meet-up, texas, usa